Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since I was giving up my carry gun (Ruger SR9c) to zookeeper to have a holster made, I figured I'd carry my 1911 (Kimber Custom II TLE with lots of additions) today. I only had a Comp-Tac paddle holster for it, and there was no way that was going to give me even a notion of true concealment, so I stopped by Bullseye in Lawrenceville hoping to come across a cheap something or other that might conceal a bit better. I found a Summer Special knock-off by Old El Paso Saddlery that was relatively cheap and picked it up. I must say, even as a 1911 lover, I am quite surprised at how well this concealed and how comfortable it was to carry all afternoon. Didn't need to touch or adjust it once even with getting out of the car multiple times and sitting down/standing up, etc. The downside...now I have to save up more money to have zookeeper make me a nicer looking one to carry the 1911 in on occasion. :shattered: :lol:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
I believe that zookeeper will not have a problem with this!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,521 Posts
I used to carry mine IWB in an MTAC Minotaur, but then when I switched the grips over to the VZ Aliens I can't stand wearing it IWB. The grips are far too aggressive. I had considered switching the left grip panel out for the stock black rubber but then I don't want to let the cost of the Aliens go to waste. For shooting and carrying OWB the grips are awesome. When they have to ride against your skin, not so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely found I had to tuck my undershirt between the holster/gun and myself, and even then I felt a pinch a few times when I leaned or twisted a certain way, and I could definitely see how super aggressive grips could cause an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
I've been carrying my Dan Wesson 5" 1911 Pointman in a Summer Special & agree that's it's WAY more comfy than I'd expected. Only thing, I'd like to swap the target sights for something more rounded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Good info.
I'm a recent CC permit holder and am looking for a good comfortable IWB holster for a 5" 1911.
I'm waiting on a new model Sig to come out (P229 Enhanced Elite) but would like to go ahead and start carrying. As my .45 is my only option for now it's good to hear there are comfortable and functional options out there.

Thanks!
 

·
Old Time Member
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
People just don' t understand how much difference a good holster AND belt will make. Congrats on the new holster. :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,133 Posts
Scoopo said:
Good info.
I'm a recent GWL permit holder and am looking for a good comfortable IWB holster for a 5" 1911.
I'm waiting on a new model Sig to come out (P229 Enhanced Elite) but would like to go ahead and start carrying. As my .45 is my only option for now it's good to hear there are comfortable and functional options out there.

Thanks!
Fixed that for ya. :)

No such thing as a "cc" permit in GA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Suburbbus said:
Scoopo said:
Good info.
I'm a recent GWL permit holder and am looking for a good comfortable IWB holster for a 5" 1911.
I'm waiting on a new model Sig to come out (P229 Enhanced Elite) but would like to go ahead and start carrying. As my .45 is my only option for now it's good to hear there are comfortable and functional options out there.

Thanks!
Fixed that for ya. :)

No such thing as a "cc" permit in GA.
Thanks :)
Actually have noticed that distinction. I'll definitely try for better accuracy in the future :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
TheLaw said:
People just don' t understand how much difference a good holster AND belt will make. Congrats on the new holster. :righton:
This statement is profound! I have one of the weakest belts ever made in China and sold at Wal-Mart. I have been looking for a suitable replacement for a few months. I plan to visit a nice leather shop next time I'm in Tallahassee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
I have always found or gone by the ideology that carry should not be comfortable, but comforting. Still, I understand where you are going with this. I have recently gone to comp tac holsters myself, seeing that the plastic they use doesn't get sticky during hot weather, nor puts wear onto the weapon.

I do have a Summer Special for a Commander .45 I use to have, it was very fitting,and comfortable - as a holster could be.

Still,as mentioned before, a good holster is worth its weight in gold. Don't cheap out.
 

·
Old Time Member
Joined
·
2,647 Posts
murrybird said:
I have always found or gone by the ideology that carry should not be comfortable, but comforting. Still, I understand where you are going with this. I have recently gone to comp tac holsters myself, seeing that the plastic they use doesn't get sticky during hot weather, nor puts wear onto the weapon.

I do have a Summer Special for a Commander .45 I use to have, it was very fitting,and comfortable - as a holster could be.

Still,as mentioned before, a good holster is worth its weight in gold. Don't cheap out.
I'm personally not looking for comfort per say but rather a rig that will keep things where I put them. A quality belt and holster will allow me to carry a full size firearm, two mags, a light, and whatever else I plan to shove in my pockets, while keeping my pants or shorts right where I want them to be. :righton:

Comfort is a bonus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts
TheLaw said:
People just don' t understand how much difference a good holster AND belt will make.
truer words have never been spoken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
I carry my full size 1911 in a Don Hume open top belt holster and a 5.11 trainer belt. The holster will take about two weeks of full time carry to break in nicely and disappear under your clothing.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top