Columbus Gun Ban

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sec. 14-65. Dangerous weapons; prohibited.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to wear or carry any pistol, dirk-knife, bowie-knife, switch-blade knife, ice pick, sling shot, sand club, metal knuckles, metal cake cutter, metal comb, razor, or any other dangerous or deadly weapons of any kind whatsoever, including but not limited to jewelry, belts or other wearing apparel fashioned in such a manner so as to allow the use of the same as a weapon rather than as wearing apparel. The provisions hereof shall not apply to the transportation of such items to one's home when purchased for the use in such home and contained within the package in which the same was contained on purchase, nor shall the provisions hereof apply to hunters, fishermen, sportsmen, campers or workmen while such items are being transported for recreational or occupational purposes.

2. Malum Prohibitum

And even toys!

Sec. 14-67. Toy pistols, cartridges, etc.; forbidden.

It shall be unlawful, within the corporate limits or the police district of the city, to sell, use or possess any toy pistol, toy gun, or other instrumentality designed for blank metallic cartridges, or to sell, use or possess any kind of blank metallic cartridges adaptable to use with toy pistols, toy guns, or other such instrumentalities.

3. Malum Prohibitum

150 days of hard labor!

:shock:

:jail:
    Sec. 1-8. General penalty; continuing violations; adjudging fines and imprisonments.

It shall be unlawful for any person to violate or fail to comply with any provision of this Code and where no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of any provision of this Code shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $1,000.00, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    Whenever the recorder of the city shall, under any of the ordinances of the city, adjudge a person to pay a fine, or a fine and costs of prosecution, he shall also provide in such sentence a period of time for which such person shall be imprisoned in default of the payment of the same. Whenever the sentence shall be one of both fine and imprisonment, it shall also provide for an additional period of imprisonment in the city jail for which such person shall be held in default of payment of fine and costs. Such additional period shall commence to run from the expiration of the period of imprisonment fixed by the sentence, provided that in no case shall the imprisonment for failure to pay a fine, or fine and costs, together with any other imprisonment in the same case, exceed the period of 60 days.
    Nothing in this section shall exempt a prisoner from being put at labor during the period of such additional imprisonment.
    (Ord. No. 83-62, § 1, 7-26-83; Ord. No. 00-61, § 1, 6-20-00)

4. havoc1

havoc1 New Member

Wait...how the hell is this legal? I thought the state laws trumped this piddly BS. WTFO?!

In my case, I guess that's why it's concealed carry. :evil:

5. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

This better be a joke. Notify GCO.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I still like Atlantas Assault Weapon ban.

Sec. 106-377. Sale or display prohibited.

Except as specified in section 106-377, no person, including wholesale and retail gun dealers, shall sell, offer or display for sale, any assault weapon.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I have a feeling they already know. 8)

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You don't have to obey this illegal ordinance. The power to regulate the carrying of firearms is ultra vires for local governments in Georgia.

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

So should we ignore the laws against carry in parks as well? I'd prefer not to be the test case! Who says they won't arrest you in Columbus? It's a law on the books and the local PD may enforce it. I don't know about the work the rest of you do, but I work for the government with a clearance and an arrest w/o conviction will still cause me problems. This ordinance needs to go, not be ignored!

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I don't know, that's on you. I know I would/will ignore these illegal ordinances, but I won't go out of my way to be a test case.

I will carry in a park even if they have an illegal gun ban, but I wouldn't open carry and try to push my luck if I knew for certain they had a ban. This isn't a problem for me because I don't usually open carry anyway.

As for Columbus' ban, are you saying that if you were there you would obey this illegal ordinance and leave your gun at home even though it is perfectly legal to carry it because of a bogus ordinance on the books that will fall like a deck of cards the first time GCO files suit to help you on some off chance that they do try to throw you in jail?

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Should gun dealers stop selling semi AKs and ARs because they MIGHT be arrested for this illegal ordinance?

12. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

No, of course I wouldn't leave my gun at home. I guess what I mean is, aren't we supposed to protest these types of ordinances? I can't file a lawsuit, but I can write a letter I guess. I don't live there, but it can't hurt. I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to be a test case or anything. I just think it's BS... obvious BS.

I'm not a legal person, but it seems to indicate that even I could not sell an "assault weapon" face-to-face if I lived in the city of Atlanta. Gun dealer or not.

no person, including wholesale and retail gun dealers

If it's an illegal law or ordinance, shouldn't we try to get them off the books? To me it seems pretty straightforward and hard to argue on their part. I could cut and paste text from posts by Malum and others that explain this preemption thing pretty clearly even though I can't begin to talk about it in a legal sense. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? These are stupid and illegal laws.. we need to tell them. I'm going to at least... I'm used to being ignored, lol!

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Do the underlined portions mean that I'm legal if I go to a restaurant (that doen's serve alcohol) on my way to or from the GSSF match at Ft. Benning Saturday?

14. Malum Prohibitum

I carry on my way to and from matches, even when stopping for lunch, but I do not go to Benning anymore because of the registration requirement.

Question: Does anybody know whether Columbus even enforces this ordinance?

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Just in case, I think I'll conceal until I'm about to enter the gates.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Dangerous weapons? Are there any other kind?

17. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

MP,

Is this Columbus or Ft Benning?

I really like the
    How many people have been killed or seriously injury with a metal comb on the street? :shock:

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The illegal ban is the city of Columbus. Ft Benning has it own rules, due to being an installation of the US Army.

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I know, they use a legal defintion of dangerous weapon. Technically speaking though, a firearm isn't dangerous. Can it load itself, chamber a round and pull its own trigger? Its only as dangerous as its owner or handler is. :idea: