Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from this course that the Southaven, MS PD hosted last week.

I got my recert for rifles and carbines and now I'm certified on 1911s, too. 8)

It's good to have a more in-depth understanding of the weapons I rely on for personal protection. Also, I like being trained and equipped to maintain them myself.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Details man! Details!

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's only available to Mil/LE folks. Sorry guys. :)

The rifle/carbine part of the course was pure vanilla, ( for me anyways. :lol: ) I initially certified with Colt rifles/carbines back in '04 and I've been working on them pretty steady ever since and even some years before that. This is just a straigt armorer's course, not to be confused with true gunsmithing. You learn how all the rifle/carbine variations, ( A1s, A2s, A4s, M4s, Commandos, 9mm carbines, AR-15s, etc, ) work, tear them completely down and I mean completely down, learn the differences in fire control group parts such as full auto and semi auto hammers, etc. Function checks, troubleshooting, care and maintenance, some of the history/development is also taught. They show pics and videos of the Colt factory and several of the various work stations in the assembly process. This was three days, eight hours a day.

Now, the 1911 portion of the class, ( two days, eight hours a day ) covered a little bit of Series 70 pistols, but focused mostly on the Series 80s and their features. Same basic topics and areas of instruction as the prior rifle/carbine class, but also went into some basic stoning/filing/fitting of certain components such as the barrel/barrel bushing, grip safety, sear, etc. This was a new area for me so it was much more interesting and challenging than the rifle/carbine course. I've got the gist of fitting/adjusting parts, however, I have much to learn as far as this goes. We also learned how to adjust and smooth out trigger pull and tighten up the slide to frame fit.

These certifications from Colt are good for three years. I've been trying to broaden and maintain the various certifications I have. I plan on hitting up Glock sometime in the next several months for their basic armorer cert, then as long as Uncle Sam hasn't shipped me off somewhere else by then, I plan on taking the Masters cert two years later.

I know there's many videos out there that cover the basic tear down of these and other weapons. However, nothing beats being able to get actual hands on with these weapons, ( without jacking up your personal guns! ) and getting trained by the experienced guys from the manufacturers. There's also the opportunity to pick their brains and ask questions. These companies usually offer discounts to class members toward the purchase of their company's firearms. For Colt, we are allowed to purchase at least two pistols or a rifle and a pistol, per class. I might have taken them up on the offer, but I've already spent a great portion of my saved up deployment dough and I want to try and maintain domestic tranquility. :wink: :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts