Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions.

I have been wanted to get a J-Frame for occasional carry (I normally carry a full sized 9mm 1911), but have also been wanting a Colt revolver for a several years.

I can get a nice Colt Cobra .38 snubbie for around $450.

What is everyone's opinion of the Cobra snubbie for OWB carry as opposed to a S&W J-Frame?

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I carry a J frame every day.....I haven't seen the Colt Cobra you are talking about, but for $450 it outta be almost NIB....seems a bit high to me....

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,693 Posts
I'm very familiar with the Colt Agent, which is basically the same gun as the Cobra with a different name for marketing reasons.

It's a 6-shot cylinder, so it's a little fatter. You can feel the difference. As far as the other dimensions, they are so close to the J-frame Smiths that you won't notice any difference in size or weight (if you compare these D-frame aluminum alloy Colts to the J-frame aluminum alloy Smiths).

Let me ask you this: Do you want the widest possible selection of accessories like replacement grips, laser sighting systems, holsters, etc? Or would you be carrying the gun basically as-is? There are a lot more options for customizing the J-frame S&W snubbies.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When carried, it would be carried as is, likely in Zookeper leather (with cobra trim of course).

·
Registered
570 Posts
If I could do it over again, I would have gotten a Detective Special. I have a Stainless steel J frame right now. I have too much invested in it to switch to the Colt now. The Colts are fatter but can still be put in a front pocket if you desire. Some Colt Cobras (I believe 2nd and 3rd generations) can be converted to a Colt Agent simply by putting Colt Agent grips on it which makes the grip significantly smaller and more concealable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just got one of these about 2 weeks ago:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... =411541101

It's a little heavier than the models with the ti cylinder, but I think the weight is perfect and it's very well balanced. I can shoot as many .357 loads as I want without it killing my hand and it shoots .38 +P even better. I haven't noticed any of the above loads causing the bullet to unseat, which seems to be a problem with the lighter models. The front sight is also pinned, so you can choose whatever sights you want. I think it's a great deal for the $$.

I installed a Wolff spring kit with the 15lb rebound spring, which smoothed it out some. I've got some XS sights on order that I'll be putting on soon as well. You can pick up a ti cylinder for $150 and fit it as well, if you decide you want that at a later date.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I've got the S&W 642 which weighs about 15 ounces empty. It is OK with standard 38 special loads and can be a handful with +P, stinging the web of the hand due to the compact, open back strap grips. It is as light as I would go for anything in .38 +P.

At an even lighter weight of 13 ounces empty, I don't think I would enjoy full power JHP .357s :bigshock: out of a S&W 360 at all. You'd need some big, beefy hands to soak up that kind of recoil from such a light gun, which I ain't got.

·
Registered
149 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
I've got the S&W 642 which weighs about 15 ounces empty. It is OK with standard 38 special loads and can be a handful with +P, stinging the web of the hand due to the compact, open back strap grips. It is as light as I would go for anything in .38 +P.
I used to feel the same way, I nearly got rid of my 642 about 3 months ago and traded it for something else. An old friend at the gun shop told me to give the 642 another chance. I now have >3300 rounds through the 642 and have bought another J-frame because I like it so much. The first 1000 rounds hurt and I couldn't shoot it well enough to carry it. I found that the more I shot it, the less it hurt and the better my groups became. I can say now that I keep fairly consistant groups at decent speeds and enjoy shooting it!

It helped to replace the stock grips on the 642 though. The original stocks were hard to learn on, so I put some of the full size Hogue over-molded grips on the gun for the first 1000 rounds or so. They helped take the bite out of shooting the gun. Once I got to where those grips didn't bother my hand at all, I moved to the Hogue Bantams, which have the open strap but rubber fronts. I also mounted a LaserLyte side-laser, which is an interesting product that I can recommend anyone learning to shoot these guns use.

SongDogSniper said:
At an even lighter weight of 13 ounces empty, I don't think I would enjoy full power JHP .357s :bigshock: out of a S&W 360 at all. You'd need some big, beefy hands to soak up that kind of recoil from such a light gun, which I ain't got.
After shooting the 642 for a while, I found the 360 to be a much smoother and easier to shoot gun. I don't know if it's because my 642 has so many rounds through it, but the action seems a lot tighter and the gun much more controllable. It may just be in my head, but I've found that I was pretty good with it from day one, which wasn't true with the 642. The gun just seemed to generally shoot better.

Shooting .357 loads does take some build up, just like shooting the 642. For me, the first 15 rounds of each session hurts, but after that they don't bother me anymore. The more I shoot it, the less painful it becomes. I don't feel the need to carry .357, but I want to be able to shoot them through the gun. My reloading press is set up for .38 Special, so I mainly shoot those through the 360, but I put about 25-50 .357 rounds through it each session.

Side story: There is a girl at SSGR that comes in carrying a Model 360 (PD I think?), she shoots it with full .357 loads and is really good with it! Rumor has it, she came in and put over 300 rounds of .357 through the gun in one sitting. Her hands were smaller than my dorky ones by a long shot and she was able to control it fine. (I don't mean this as an insult, just an example that you don't need man hands to shoot it well, not tryin to call anyone girly ;))

FWIW, I have fairly large but wiry hands from years of playing guitar and typing on a computer all day long. I wouldn't consider my hands beefy at all. Both of these guns take practice and getting used to, but I think for me it was the right decision, YMMV.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I use a S&W 360 as an always firearm and love the quality and portability aspect of the the little revolver, the choice between a pony and a Smith come down to personal preference and which on you simply have more confidence and shoot better with IMO.

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace the SP101. Looking at either the Ruger LCR .357 or a S&W 640 or 360 in the same caliber.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ken1961 said:
Looking at either the Ruger LCR .357 or a S&W 640 or 360 in the same caliber.
I tried the LCR a few weeks ago and was really disappointed. I was super close to buying one when I found out my range had one for rent, I rented it and returned it quickly. Your results may vary, but I thought it felt really strange, almost like a toy. The trigger pull was really loose and it just didn't feel like something I would have confidence in. It may have been because it was a rental, but the gun felt loose and sloppy to me.

Some people swear by them, that's just my opinion. I nearly bought it, but after shooting the rental I went with the S&W 360 instead (about $100 more).

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
I used to have an LCR. I had a good one but wound up trading it for a rifle. Now I need to get a decent BUG. I'm leaning more and more towards the S&Ws if for no other reason than the options available.

Seriously thinking of even going for just a .38 +P.

Thanks for the input LordSephiroth, interesting handle btw.

·
Registered
310 Posts
FMOfartO:

I have two Cobra's (early models w/exposed ejector rods), and one DS. (Later issue with shrouded ejector rod). I also have two J-frames, an older nickle 49 (Bodyguard), and a newer (pre-lock) 638 (Airweight Bodyguard).

I don't carry a snubby any longer as there are simply too many better (for me) options in sub-compact 9MM pistols, but IF I were to carry one of my snubbys it would be the J-frame 638 Airweight Bodyguard.

The 638 (as with all new j-frames I guess) comes with the wider, smooth "target" trigger. If you have ever fired an older j-frame, or Cobra with the narrow, serrated triggers you will know what I'm talking about.

The action, right out of the box, of the 638 is "light years" an improvement over the others.

The trigger pull of the 638 is light, smooth, and obviously those factors enhance accuracy for the shooter and imo is a much better choice for someone determined to cc a snubby.

My 638 is equipped with the excellent Crimson Trace Lasergrip and that makes it a "tack driver" at any reasonable self defense distance.

I love my D frame Colts, and none are for sale, but honestly the qualities of the S&W 638 are far and away an improvement over them, and the availability of the CT Lasergrips are just icing on the cake.

I have put my 638 "away" for a favorite step-Son who I have promised it to.

My choice in cc ALL the time is my Ruger LCP in a rear pocket holster... It can go anyplace, anytime it's legal to carry a concealed weapon, and it also has a Crimson Trace Laser on it.

When I ALSO carry a larger caliber concealed weapon in the past it would have been my 3rd Gen S&W CS45 (Chief's Special), or my 9MM H&K P2000sk (V3) in an iwb holster, but recently I have acquired a Ruger LC9, and it is very, very, very good.. :righton:

Just personal opinion, no offense to anyone..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

·
Dei Gratia
2,907 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts Jesse. Glad to know that Ruger's newest 9 is a good one. It may be in my future for next year.

Now I'll stop highjacking this thread.

My apologies to the OP. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts