Colorado Students Walk Out During Pledge, Recite Own Version

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by VolGrad, Sep 28, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Oh, really?

When did they pass that amendment? It must be new, because it's not in my copy sitting here.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

American Constitution:
    [1] the will of the sheeple
    [2] a desire to be guided
    [3] a mythical document outlining freedoms guaranteed to American Citizens (but not Cane) and a framework for the American Government

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

This country is in severe trouble. Hope everybody is stocking up!

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Don't forget, the students are at that magical age where they know everything.

6. VolGrad

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read this article. While I applaud their willingness to stand up for their beliefs, they are still too young to have fully developed their belief system. Only time & experience will teach them how stupid they were in their youth.

7. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

The other thing is that it's a pledge to the flag not the "state". Most people of the patriotic sort would agree that the flag represents way, way more than the government.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I applaud them for exercising free speech, but "separation of church and state" is definitely a misnomer.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

At what point did "freedom of religion" become "freedom from religion"? :?

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

+1

If you don't want to say it fine. Sit down & shut up. You walk out of class without authorization then you get detention (or whatever other punishment is suitable).

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

its just an excuse, like the kid who is refusing to cut his hair because he is a rastafarian. Oh yeah, he is white too, and red headed...
    [​IMG]
    link

12. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Fine. If these kids get negative attention, they'll just have to deal with it. Liberty requires responsibility, and that means accepting the consequences when you fight the status quo.

13. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Here is how most liberals see the constitution....
    [​IMG]

saw this at B&N :(

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Wow... Was the USC stuff on the other side of that shelf? Or maybe on the end there under the sign? I sure do hope so... :(

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm not even particularly religious (I get to Mass when I can, not that often) and this crap still pisses off my religious sensibilities.

16. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I am agnostic. However, the words "under god" don't offend me. However, they were never originally a part of the pledge. Not until 1954.

The original version was:

...then it was changed the first time, quite some time later:

...and again a year later...

...so...you can see that for the first 62 years, there was no "under god" in the pledge.

Whether it stays in there or not, I personally don't care one way or the other. But, most people don't realize it wasn't originally part of the pledge.

17. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

The people of this country shouldn't be pledging allegiance but rather the politicians pledging allegiance to the people.

I STILL DON'T say the pledge of allegiance. I love my country, i love our military, and i fly an american flag. But i don't pledge allegiance to it.

After all, that flag WAS a flag flown against this great state (granted a few less stars in the canton). It may be a flag flown against it again for reasons we cannot foresee.

I pledge to be a good Georgian and a good American. I pledge to stand for freedom and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. Domestic enemies might use that very flag. I don't care about the symbol. I care about American freedom. I care about the soldiers who died to give me that freedom. I WILL NOT LET THEM DIE IN VAIN.

Yes those kids probably don't have half a brain yet. But it's their right to speak in how they feel (at this moment) They will change their minds later, when they mature, we know that. But you gotta let em start somewhere, right or wrong in your beliefs.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would be surprised to discover that was true, that is, among people who are even aware it is in there now.

19. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I wouldn't be. The ignorance of people no longer amazes me.

20. VolGrad

Probably not, after all it was a public school. [That was just a joke. I'm not opening an old can of worms or trying to pick a fight. It was just too good to pass up.