College Bombings

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am sure you have all seen the stories about the college kid in Oklahoma who turned Muslim and then blew himself up 100 yards before he could get into a stadium with 86,000 people.

Today, several small bombs at Georgia Tech, from Clayton Cramer:

Terrorist Bombings At Other Universities?

Not just at Oklahoma University, but also at Georgia Tech:
    Three explosive devices found in a courtyard between two Georgia Tech dormitories on the East Campus Monday morning were part of a "terrorist act," an Atlanta police official said.

One of the devices exploded, injuring the custodian who found them inside a plastic bag. Two others were detonated by a bomb squad.

The custodian suffered ringing to the ears and was treated at a local hospital. The events led to a temporary evacuation Monday morning.

"It is a terrorist act at this point and depending on the outcome of the investigation it potentially could become a federal violation as well," said Major C.W. Moss of the Atlanta Police Department.
    Here's an account of explosives found near UCLA--although I am having trouble getting the Daily Bruin website to respond since it is receiving so many hits

Now, there's a lot of pipe bombs set off each year, and most are just teenagers being stupid, with no political significance. Still, it makes you wonder, doesn't it? If these turn out to be al-Qaeda related, do you suppose that the academic community might actually start to wake up a bit, and decide that there is something more dangerous than George BusHitler?

UPDATE: I was finally able to load the Daily Bruin story:
    After responding to a call made at 11:13 a.m., the bomb squad arrived at 527 Midvale Ave. to find "an improvised explosive device" in the building's open-air courtyard, said Grace Brady, a spokeswoman for the LAPD.

No injuries were reported, but authorities have been slow to release details about the incident and the device.

posted by Clayton at 3:41 PM

2. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

The interesting thing is I didn't see anywhere that the kid in Oklahoma was a muslim

3. Malum Prohibitum

I didn't just make it up! :mrgreen:

Look here: http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/OUBombing.asp

and here: http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46640

The FBI, though, is saying it does not believe he was part of a wider Muslim terrorist plot: http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/125256.php

The Georgia case involved only plastic bottles with explosives, which may not seem like much. Recall that in the Oklahoma University bomb incident, per Mark Tapscott's reporting, that Joel Hinrichs' car contained "13 plastic bottles" in the trunk.

and another student (muslim) commits suicide when police arrive to investigate the smell of chemicals coming from his apartment and police find chemical lab in his apartment: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/10 ... 0_8_05.txt

The police still aren't saying what they found. There is probably a reason why.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Soda Bottle Bomb

This 18 year old kid from Georgia Tech... I don't know if what he was making were "bombs." It may have been just some baking soda and vinegar in a sealed bottle. The mixture of these things creates a volume of gas that overpressurizes the bottle and makes it pop, much like you might blow into a bag, clamp one hand across the opening to seal it, and them smack it with the palm of your other hand, creating an "explosion" and making a loud sound that can scare people.

And while I have no doubt that the courts of Georgia will rule that any home-made device which could scare a person, make a noise that imitates that of a explosion or gunshot, or even could injure a person if you looked right at it with unshielded eyeballs and bare skin from inches away IS in fact a "DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE," (remember, the courts declared that toy guns that look real are "firearms" for the purposes of charging somebody with doing a crime while carrying a firearm), I am just not convinced that we need to go along with calling this kid "The Georgia Tech Bomber" until we learn more about the devices he was building.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Well, that is just the problem. I keep waiting for more information about these things, and it never seems to surface.

The Muslim kid in California story was already old, and the police still aren't saying what they found.

The Okie bomber facts drifted out very slow, and now the FBI is really whitewashing it - without really releasing the whole story. That kid was trying to get into a packed stadium with a backpack-bomb, was trying to buy ammonium nitrate, has a Pakistani for a roomate, and is rumored to have been attending a local mosque with "ties" to terrorists.

Now, all the news stories are quoting from the president of some "student union" that doesn't "feel" the Okie bomber with his recent muslim convert beard was a muslim convert. Others are telling us it was just a suicide. If that is true, then why have more bombmaking materials in the apartment? Just in case you might want to commit lonely suicide a second time? Why put metal shrapnel into a "Suicide" device?

If they need to keep it confidential for investigation, then fine. But if it's baking soda, well, tell us! I hope that is all it is. I just wanted to point out that the Okie bomber also had plastic bottles (13 of them) in his trunk. Maybe he was gonna play the baking soda prank, too.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Wall Street Journal, not a muslim apologist press, has concluded the okie was just a depressed loner committing suicide, and not part of a muslim terrorist plot.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Did anyone see the news, Channel 2 I believe, when they tried to interview that kid coming out of the courthouse after he made bail? He was asked if he had any regrets and with a little smirk he replied "tons" as if he thought the whole thing was a joke. :?

I guess the joke will end up being on him if he is convicted and sent to the booty house were the big boys will be making him grab his ankles on a daily basis.