Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time cooking them. :lol:

Yep, in about an hour I'll have a big pot ready to dig into. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, a dash of evoo, and a dash of red wine vinegar. I would have put smoked turkey wings in them but didn't think of that when I was at the store. Oh well, better luck next time.

To go with it I'll microwave a ground beef/green bean entree my little bride prepared for me before going out of town. With a slice or two of dark Russian rye on the side, and a glass of cheap Merlot I should be good for the night. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good job. It took me 25 years but I've finally turned my wife on to collards. She just would not try them at the restaurant nor want me to buy them for home. However, she cooked HER first batch last week. Just goes to show Yankee's CAN be taught.

We always use some turkey back/wings for flavor.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I love greens. A mix of turnip and mustard is my favorite, but I like collards too. Cooked all day with a couple of slices of salt pork.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seereus said:
Salt, Pepper, Smoked Jawls/hocks.

Yours sounds like a yuppie rendition.
Yup, it is. I'm just in one of those moods. :lol:

But, when my grandmother on my mom's side made them with beef ribs or a big chunk of ham, that was good eatin'!

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jhvaughan2 said:
Good job. It took me 25 years but I've finally turned my wife on to collards. She just would not try them at the restaurant nor want me to buy them for home. However, she cooked HER first batch last week. Just goes to show Yankee's CAN be taught.

We always use some turkey back/wings for flavor.

Enjoy.
I suspected them yanks could sometimes adapt. :)

I never had collards with smoked turkey wings until my bride prepared them that way. And they're great! Different smokes for different folks. :lol:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
seereus said:
LOL!

One thing that is very southern is pepper sauce on your greens(apply this once the greens are on your plate). What is Pepper Sauce you ask? Well the best 'store bought' is http://www.bgfoods.com/trappeys/trappeys_products.asp It's the "Peppers in Vinegar."

My father grows his own peppers and then puts them in a Ball Mason Jar with vinegar. Mmmm Mmmm good.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Uhh you did wash them good didn't you? And destem them? I hate the ones that are chopped with the stems in them....yuck.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mountainpass said:
seereus said:
LOL!

One thing that is very southern is pepper sauce on your greens(apply this once the greens are on your plate). What is Pepper Sauce you ask? Well the best 'store bought' is http://www.bgfoods.com/trappeys/trappeys_products.asp It's the "Peppers in Vinegar."

My father grows his own peppers and then puts them in a Ball Mason Jar with vinegar. Mmmm Mmmm good.
Sounds good! I've had em before with hot green pepper pickled chow-chow. Sometimes with non-pickled banana peppers, too. Why didn't I think of getting something like that at the store today? Cabin fever and hunger has obviously fried my brain. In a few minutes when I get some good food in me I should be unfried. :lol:

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Dude. collards have fat back in them, and you eat the with corn bread. What is the world coming to :screwy:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mountainpass said:
Uhh you did wash them good didn't you? And destem them? I hate the ones that are chopped with the stems in them....yuck.
What? Ain't they still good with the bugs and sand still on them? Good source of protein and fiber there you want me to go and waste. :lol:

I hate the tough stems too. Man, that was not an easy job. Took me almost 45 min to de-stem, chop, wash, and get them stuffed in the pot. I hope the one who eats em thanks the cook. :)

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
budone1967 said:
Dude. collards have fat back in them, and you eat the with corn bread. What is the world coming to :screwy:
Tell me about it. Too lazy to cook cornbread tonight. Did find some beef bullion for the collards. They're eatable now. :)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Phil1979 said:
budone1967 said:
Tell me about it. Too lazy to cook cornbread tonight. Did find some beef bullion for the collards. They're eatable now. :)
No cornbread, what are you going to do about having pot liquor and cornbread?

Just to many things wrong about what your describing. Its almost blasphemy.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
beef bullion
garlic powder
dash of red wine vinegar
microwave
Didn't wash them....
Man, that was not an easy job. Took me almost 45 min to de-stem, chop, wash, and get them stuffed in the pot.
Bit#thi#g.......

Man you sound exactly like my ex-girlfriend. :screwy:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seereus said:
Phil1979 said:
budone1967 said:
No cornbread, what are you going to do about having pot liquor and cornbread?

Just to many things wrong about what your describing. Its almost blasphemy.
You're preaching to the choir here. Maybe I'll put Fiber One cereal in it and pretend. :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mountainpass said:
beef bullion
garlic powder
dash of red wine vinegar
microwave
Didn't wash them....
[quote:3k3ua1qm]Man, that was not an easy job. Took me almost 45 min to de-stem, chop, wash, and get them stuffed in the pot.
Bit#thi#g.......

Man you sound exactly like my ex-girlfriend. :screwy:[/quote:3k3ua1qm]

Did too wash them, and the microwave was for a frozen dish pre-prepared. I think the ingredients got you befuddled. :)

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Phil1979 said:
microwave was for a frozen dish pre-prepared
:shakehead:

Greens are to be served with black-eyed peas and corn bread.

Oh and no sugar in the cornbread.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Are there beans in collards? :lol: :runaway: :hide:
All you needed was, as others have stated, some fat back and hot sauce.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts