Cobb Renewal question Please respond quickly

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by gungeek, May 19, 2016.

1. gungeek

gungeek Member

Cobb did it well

My wife applied on 4/26/16 - in and out in 20 minutes.
    GWCL issued on 5/6/16 and arrived in yesterday's mail. 22 days in all. :applause:

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Excellent! Great to hear. Now, you'll have to get the right carry gun for her. Baby steps...

3. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Cobb. Has anyone heard if any of the Commission candidates discuss the idea of metal detectors for commission meetings? This is something that just occurred to me as I sit and study my options on this crazy, long-ass absentee ballot!

4. DonT

Tim Lee is probably in favor of that, depending on what Cobb Sheriff recommends. Not sure what Mike Boyce thinks, I've tried asking but did not get a straight answer. Larry Savage said, he doesn't favor it and doesn't know why this is being considered. Plus Larry actually respects voters and our right to vote on massive bond debt, unlike Lee. So, I already voted for Larry.

5. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

My GFL expires today...I'm going for a renewal...
    questions:

since it expires today it is considered a renewal, right?

Do you still need a self addressed stamped envelope?

Thanks!

6. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

its a renewal and ask for a temp. licence

7. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

Thanks

still need SASE?

8. DonT

9. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Insist on a Temp License. It is the law.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

(i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a weapons carry license under this Code section may, at the time he or she applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he or she then holds or if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.

10. DonT

Good point about temp license. I hope that Cobb is doing that regularly.

11. DonT

Also, you can still renew, up to 30 days AFTER your expiration date. So you're fine. You can renew up to 90 days BEFORE expiration too.

12. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Good posts, Don T. and Tmoore

The law wasn't always like this. G.C.O. got these changes added into our law several years ago, giving this "90 days before, up to 30 days after" window for renewing a GWL.
    (And, for that matter, eliminating a second or subsequent set of fingerprinting for any renewals).

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I'm not sure about the 90 days before but the 30 days after predates GCO unless at some point it was removed on accident. You could always renew before but I'm not sure about the 90 days before.

14. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

You do need a SASE...I didn't have one but the clerk kindly gave me one...

Took longer to park and walk there then the transaction took.

A lady and her son (guess) came in and asked the clerks a couple questions about what the GWL covers. They said they can't give out legal advice. I gave her georgiacarry.org web site info

15. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Did you receive a temporary license?

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

It wasn't a renewal before GCO. It was no different than a first time application with the exact same requirements.

17. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It was a renewal. Some changes were made that disqualified the GFL from being the BGC to purchase a firearm. When it was revamped to correct shortfall the renewal process became the same as first time application. The next revamp did away with the redo on the fingerprints on renewal. Short of the redo on the fingerprints everything is still the same as first time.

Before any changes were made the cost was $35. $25 to the court and $10 to the GBI. Cash to the court and USPS money order only paid separately to the GBI. Fingerprints were included. Now the cost is $75 and it doesn't look like a first grader made it with a box of crayons. It's also no longer a GFL but a GWCL.

18. chateau

chateau New Member

Wife and I were in recently to renew our GWCLs. Pleasant experience. Personnel were friendly and helpful.

If you haven't been in lately, the License Division is now on the left just as you enter the outer doors to Probate Court.

We asked for and both received a Temporary License just in case ours don't come back in time. They were telling everyone that it would be 30 days.

We had stamped and addressed envelopes to hand them.

As expected it was $30 cash for renewal plus $1 for the Temporary License. They do take credit cards but there will be an additional $2.50 added for that.

19. Match10

Match10 Active Member

My youngest daughter just got hers exactly two weeks.

20. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Wife got application, filled out, took to Circuit Court, signed, affirmed, paid $15. Waited 29 days and opened envelope and there it was.

Now she can put it in her purse or under a jacket in cold weather. Does not have to OC and match me.

I do have a question though-- does a stainless Charter Arms Mag Pug match well with a stainless S&W 5906? She says no. I think yes.

Nemo