Cobb Police Shoot Unarmed Felon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. phaed

phaed Active Member

good shoot.

lawyers are trying to say he was just "raising his hands" like ordered. it's :censored: , and they know it.

the subject pulled 1 hand out of his pocket and pointed it at the officer while his other stayed down. that's not compliance. any of us shooters know what that stance and that movement portrays. he was seeking suicide by cop, on drugs, crazy, or all the above imo.

mamma's probably just trying to capitalize off of the screwed up son she didn't care to raise correctly.

3. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

+1

4. Malum Prohibitum

It looked exactly like he was pulling out a gun to shoot it at him. I interpreted it that way, and I am sure the officer did, too.

There is no way to intperpret it as "raising his hands."

5. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

At one point, Wise orders Jordan to stay inside his vehicle. When Jordan gets out, Wise tells him to get down on the ground.

Last time I checked if a police officer tells you to remain in the vehicle, it might be a good idea to do so.

6. Malum Prohibitum

The video is on the link, and it is at about one minute in to the video. View it for yourself and see if you would find it threatening. Consider when looking at it that you do not know at the time that he is unarmed . . .

7. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I completely agree with you guys. I was just pointing out that the officer told him to stay inside. He then did not listen and came out to the rear of the vehicle.

I would have done the same.

I think if any of us were walking in a parking lot, and sombody appeared around the rear of a vehicle and motioned like that, a sense of adrenaline would start. Not to mention a gun would be unholstered and a defensive position established!

8. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

9. Malum Prohibitum

10. Malum Prohibitum

In all seriousness, once you view the video, is there anybody here who would not have interpreted that movement as one of drawing and aiming to fire?

11. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

The manner in which he pulls out whatever he had in his hands would make me react

12. triggerman357

13. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

"Good person, turning his life around," etc.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Anybody :?:

I thought somebody would dissent, given that we are all so anti-LEO and all.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It looked like he was drawing a gun to me.

16. triggerman357

Anybody :?:

I thought somebody would dissent, given that we are all so anti-LEO and all.[/quote:1f0036oj]

I believe it's a bad idea to have your hand in your pocket during a police encounter. I would take into consideration that some people only understand to show your identification when confronted by LE. There are instances where people were shot because they didn't understand the orders given in english, couldn't hear them, or just made a bad decision to do something other than their orders. Since I'm not a cop, I can't speak on what they deal with day to day. I just don't see someone stepping from the side of a car and drawing a weapon on a cop who already has drawn his. Plus, he has already served time before, so he knows the drill when dealing with police. To sum it up, the guy made a dumb decision and he got killed. Now it's time to sit back and :popcorn:

17. Malum Prohibitum

I got soft and let a guy keep his hand in his pocket once because it was brutally cold outside. When I finally went to arrest him, he really hesitated about taking his hand out of his pocket. I grabbed him from behind and kepted him pinned up against the fender of his car (gently) and held onto his right arm with my other free hand and told him to take his hand out. He did. I handcuffed him. When I checked the pocket, there was a small .25 auto in there.

I never let another person keep their hand in their pocket again after that. I am sure some people thought I was a jerk for my sudden orders on this issue, but, well, one must learn from his experience when given the chance to learn.

18. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

We're not anti-LEO...we're just anti-BAD LEO's.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1