Cobb PD - Open Carry w/out License

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Quest50, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

My neighbor is a police officer for Cobb County. During a recent discussion with him, i found out that he's convinced that you can legally open carry in Georgia without a license... I shot him an e-mail pointing to OGCA 16-11-126, subsection H:

Maybe someone can help me out: Did i show him the correct code section?

2. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

shhhhhhh Don't tell him. :cantsay: :wink:

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Well done,.....unless the person wants to carry a "long gun".

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

4. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

I would LOVE to carry around "in an open and exposed manner"
    one of my suppressed AR's around the neighborhood while
    walking the dogs...

Not that I can't. I know I can...
    I don't do it because I don't want to be "that" neighbor.

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I'm working hard to be "that neighbor" with my neighbor. :shock: :lol:
    I'm considering making a slightly elevated porch out back just so they can see me cleaning firearms

in my gold, tiger striped, man-thong.

6. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

My neighbors are glad that I am "that neighbor" :twisted:

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've gotten that from quite a few neighbors while open carrying... usually walking the dog, doing yard work, or just going to get the mail.

I'd like to think I help keep the out of control neighbors across the street in check. They see the pistol and they respect it. It might be the only thing they understand, but I will say they sure have cooled it since I started open carrying outside.

I feel a lot safer, knowing that they know that I have it on me at all times, and they also know I'm always aware of what's going on around me. They actually wave at me, I'd like to think out of respect.

After all, I would put money on each one of them have a pistol. And they don't seem like the "law-abiding" type.

8. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

I open carry and CC at all times, people around me that know me respect me for it and even appreciate it. The small town we are in does not have a police department and the average response time for a Deputy running hard with lights and sirens is still 10 Minutes+! We are starting to get alot of young 'thug' wannabees in the area and the small town feeling for many is getting uncomfortable for those that have grown up here. I make a point of going to the grocery store when they are busy, or to the dollar store when they are busy and since I started to open carry there has been alot more 'Excuse me, Yes Ma'am and Yes Sir' going on instead of the typical glances and stares and rude behaviour.

Does it have anything to do with me open carry?....I don't know but the change is nice. We do have a couple of left librals in the community that question me about my 92FS on my side in a Blackhawk serpa sporter and I tell them that it is less cumbersome then my M4 assault rifle (not gonna lie to them....LOL)

I feel that it is our responsibility to carry if we have the legal means to do so, it is part activism to keep our rights and part deterent to keep our safety.

9. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Just to be clear, you open carry and CC at all times? Which is it? Or, do you OC 1 gun and CC your backup weapon?

10. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i am "that neighbor" in my neighborhood. :righton:

11. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

Opps, I open carry, there is the occasional time I will CC....sorry about the typo there.........kids running around tends to get you a bit off track on the train of thought...... :lol:

12. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

Not to beat up on you new guy, but calling your M4 an assault rifle is apet peeve of mine. An assault is an action, and if you assault someone with a crayon it becomes an assault weapon. I'm not trying to pick on you just saying.

BTW welcome to the forum :welcome:

13. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

+1

What he said.

Also, welcome aboard! :righton:

14. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

welcome to the forum, IcarryOPEN.

And for the love of god, can we get this thread back on topic?

15. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

I understand what you are saying......its like a sports car...what sport does it play.....but non the less the design of it was intended for a specific pupose and it is commanly known as such, AK 47, L85a1 to the a3, Aug styre....alll known as assault "style" weapons.........but they can still be used to punch paper and the occasional deer.

16. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

Thank for welcoming me to the forum...I appreciate it.
    As far as getting back on topic.......I have taken the time to read both OCGA and current bills passed into law in Georgia......correct me if I am wrong but Open or CC with a pistol is only if you are licensed, or have a valid and current GWL. Long guns on the other hand can be carried open actually it states 'must be' carried in plain sight if they are loaded. Long guns don't need a GWL and can be freely carried providing that you are legally able to purchase one. The 'off limits' list still applies to long gun as well.

This is my understanding, If I am wrong please correct me.

17. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

You forgot about the shoulder thingy that sticks up.

18. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I agree with you completely, but I was wondering if I cited the correct code section to verify. (OCGA 16-11-126)

19. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

Yes that code section pretty much covers it...OCGA 16-11-126.......even in the legal language it is written in it is clear who can/cannot, what you can/cannot, and if you need or don't need a GWL.........good job

20. regor60

regor60 New Member

These cops seem to conflate the law against carrying a concealed weapon with the law requiring a permit to carry a pistol.

Yes, you can avoid a carrying a concealed weapon charge by carrying openly, but will be charged with carrying a pistol without a permit unless you have a permit. Two different potential offenses.

I had a Dunwoody cop say the same thing to me :screwy: