Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 598 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find the words. Even if I could, I don't want to write them.

But how? How can a father be so distracted that he forgot his child was in the car?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/child-dies-after-being-left-car-near-cumberland-ma/ngNc4/

Cobb County authorities are investigating a child's death after a parent left a toddler in a vehicle near Cumberland Mall Wednesday.

According to Cobb County police, a father was supposed to take his 22-month-old to day care around 8:30 a.m. Police said the father forgot and left his child inside his vehicle while he went to work.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
It has happened more than once in recent years. I think people are particularly apt to do it when it is something outside the normal routine, like maybe the father doesn't normally drop the child off and just gets in "auto pilot" mode on the trip into work.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a parenting tip once that said this, intended to mitigate the risk of this type thing:

"Try putting something important in the back seat, like your phone."

As if to say the child isn't important?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I really don't know how to respond to these stories. I can't possibly imagine the pain this father is feeling. However when I had my little one in the car she was my world. Nothing else was more important. I might have forgot her diaper bag, but not her. :sad:

Now we are getting close to the time when she will drive the car, man time flies.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

·
Dark Overlord
110 Posts
The pain would be unbearable. I can't imagine.
From the moment my daughter was born (5 years ago) she became the single most important thing (person) in my life. I have a great 15 year marriage, thriving career and a bright future but nothing trumps my love for her. There has never been a sleepless night, illness, phone call, email or rush hour that has ever distracted my to the point that I forgot she was in the car seat. Ever! Period! In fact we're usually talking, playing word games or listening to music (Rush and Santana are her current favorites :))
Beyond sad that this happens. This campaign rolled out a few weeks ago (link below). Maybe it will help.

http://decal.ga.gov/ChildCareServices/TransportationNewsConference.aspx

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,299 Posts
I can't imagine how bad the father must feel.
And this is something that we should all take to heart, because it could happen to anybody.
Anybody who is forgetful, or absent-minded, and who maybe had a lousy night's sleep the night before, and was distracted by something that broke up his or her routine right before he or she was supposed to drop off the kid.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I disagree. As others on this thread already mentioned, the child is the #1 priority. I forget a lot of stuff, but not my son. This story may reiterate how important it is NOT to forget, but I don't believe it can just happen to "anybody".

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I hesitate to say it - but I've been in a similar situation years ago. I was supposed to drop my daughter off at day care (which typically my wife did) and I had a lot that I was thinking about as I was driving to work and I ended up on auto-pilot, drove straight to work, and was getting out of the car when I realized my daughter was still with me in her car seat in the back. If I hadn't noticed her, no one else would have with the tinted windows and poor visibility into the rear seat. It was scary as hell and stuck with me for a long time. I cringe just thinking about it now.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
This sounds like a nightmare. Where you jerk yourself awake and go check on your kid.

I just can't imagine how this guy feels or what was so important to distract him.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Prayers!!! Reflection upon what it is to be human. We're not perfect. We make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes have the most horrific of consequences. Save us!! This after the anger, and the tears.

·
Cross-drawer
7,514 Posts
I disagree. As others on this thread already mentioned, the child is the #1 priority. I forget a lot of stuff, but not my son. This story may reiterate how important it is NOT to forget, but I don't believe it can just happen to "anybody".
It can happen to people who are totally overwhelmed. Most people, thankfully, don't know what it is like to be in that situation. When you are there, you go into autopilot. Autopilot is a dangerous mode. Seriously dangerous.

I am responding because I have some experience with this. I know the condition because I have been there. I realized the dangers long ago and don't let it happen anymore, but I have lived on the ragged edge of total being totally overwhelmed about 20% of the last 23 years. It can make you strong, but it is dangerous. It is empowering, but it can kill you or someone else. I feel so bad for this family.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I hesitate to say it - but I've been in a similar situation years ago. I was supposed to drop my daughter off at day care (which typically my wife did) and I had a lot that I was thinking about as I was driving to work and I ended up on auto-pilot, drove straight to work, and was getting out of the car when I realized my daughter was still with me in her car seat in the back. If I hadn't noticed her, no one else would have with the tinted windows and poor visibility into the rear seat. It was scary as hell and stuck with me for a long time. I cringe just thinking about it now.
I was thinking about all the times I have "auto-piloted" to work. Then at work it was non-stop, no time to think about family. My kids car seat was always in my rear view mirror so they were ,fortunately, never really out of sight.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I read that when the law was made outlawing children in the front seat, accidental deaths from forgetting children in the back seat increased dramatically. I wonder what the comparison is of children who died due to being in the front seat compared to deaths of being forgotten in the car.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Murder? That's a pretty stiff charge. Was there malice aforethought? I'd think involuntary manslaughter and child cruelty would be easy convictions. That that it brings the child back either way.
I am sure that is what the charge really is. Reporters are idiots.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I'm not sure what charging him does unless they have some proof it was intentional. Then, of course, but to take what is left of his life and further destroy it doesn't seem to benefit anyone. Are there other children? Are they at risk? Does locking him in with criminals help the family or will it further crush them and make them welfare dependents?

1 - 20 of 598 Posts