Cobb County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by rossn, Feb 22, 2005.

1. rossn

rossn New Member

2. seajay

seajay Active Member

Click the GFL link above.

This will provide the information we have along with the information we need and in what format.

3. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I just renewed my license (second renewal).

Filled out the paperwork on Jan 12, 2006.
    Recieved licence today, Feb 10, 2006.

The people were pleasent and helpfull. The only irritation was the number of records releases to be filled out.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

5. Wiley

Wiley New Member

For medical (psychological) checks, and I think one other release. There were 3 forms: 1 app., 1 med. records and one other that I can't remember what it was for.

I'll remember to make a list in 2011. :p

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

might have been more than one medical.

Like one for mental hospital and another for substance abuse.

7. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I plan on applying in Cobb as a first-time applicant. Need to find a good day in my schedule that I can take off from work.

Has anyone applied in Cobb recently?

Is the link above accurate in as far as what the requirements are (or do they want Social Security card like some others)?

Where do you apply? Courthouse?

Is the Sheriff's office near the place where you apply for GFL?

8. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I'm being lazy as I didn't check the link above. When I applied a few years ago I went to the probate court on Roswell road going west past the big chicken. I brought the required money order and cash or check (I can't remember the amounts.) They did not require my ss card although I can't remember if it was asked. The fingerprinting is in the same building in the basement. I called the probate office and they told me everything I needed to bring and how much it would cost and how you needed to pay (cash, check, money order). I would call them to reconfirm the stuff needed. You want to get there before 3:45. It took about 3 to 4 months for me to get my permit. My brother recently applied and he said it was about the same.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Do you plan to give it if they ask?

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I won't volunteer it. If they ask for it, I'll try and have a nice worded response about that not being required by the code (for some reason government officials usually take offense to my tone ... I have little patience for incompetence).

The thing is I have to go through them to get the permit and I don't have a lot of spare time to fight with them about it. So if they don't cave right away I will have to. :(

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Thanks. Interesting info. Unfortunately, I have neither time nor money to spend on litigating something like this should they refuse to process my application without SSN; it is much easier just to hand over the card as wrong as it might be.

Besides, any such case would be subject to that non-supposedly non-existant "special gun jurisprudence". :roll:

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Dont worry, you dont need to present your SSN card to get the GFL in Cobb. I dont remember if the number was on the form, but they sure didnt ask for my card.

Also, it took 98 days to get issued...

14. Malum Prohibitum

I have little patience for incompetence, either, but I suggest you check your tone at the door. The person to whom you are speaking is only doing what he/she is told to do, and you can use the opportunity to educate not only that person, but the Probate Judge as well, if you put together your strategy properly and reason with them using kindness, gentleness, and respect.

An "attitude" shuts down communication not just for you, but for the next person that comes in the door with the same concern. In contrast, your kindness toward that person could leave that person open to the plea of the next applicant, even if your plea was unsuccessful. Compare the ultimate result of a string of rude "gun nuts" (me and you) approaching with the same "complaint," to the probable result of a string of kind and courteous people pleading with well-reasoned arguments upon the same point. Which do you believe would be more successful?

Use courtesy in your approach.
    An inspired writer declared: “That which makes a man desirable is his kindness†(Prov. 19:22).

And always use gratitude even when you feel the service is "owed." Two of the most forgotten words of the English language are “Thank you.†Why do so many people take for granted that whenever a kindness is done on their behalf it somehow was “owed†anyway. Ingratitude is a horrible sin. Christ thrust thanklessness into the spotlight when, after he had healed ten lepers, and only one returned to express gratitude, he asked: “Where are the nine?†(Lk. 17:17).

15. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I hear you Malum. I didn't mean to give the impression that I am the type to start yelling and make an ass of myself. I just don't stand much of chance at a poker table, if you know what I mean.

I have no problems educating people. Explaining complicated subject matter to clients is something that I am often required to do as part of my job. I, as well as the firm I work for, place great value in customer satisfaction; the the side effect is that I am very aware of the "customer service" quality that I receive.

My experiences with the service provided by government personel, in general, have been disappointing. That said, I have not found that to be the case in dealing with Cobb County employees; quite the opposite in fact. =D>

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I know what you mean. When I deal with a gov employee that is helpful, nice, and does their job, I want to tell everyone. Unfortunately, it is rare.

17. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Applied in December 2005

I applied in Cobb County on December 30, 2005. I was told today that it could take up to 6 months and that applicants from November 2005 still had not yet received their CCWs.

18. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Ok. Just got back from applying for my license. Here is a description of what happened.

They had me fill out a firearms application. The firearms application had a field for SSN; I left it blank and returned the form to the clerk. She then gave me a consent form for medical records check and 3 fingerprint cards. While I was filling these out, the clerk informed me that I left a field blank. I asked if she was referring to the SSN; she replied in the affirmative. I asked if I was required to fill the field out and she said she could not enter my application into their computer system unless I provided my SSN. I told her that I believe requiring me to provide my SSN was a violation of US law. She indicated that she understood my concern and that she agreed with me. She went on to say, however, that she needed my SSN to process my application. I asked her how the SSN would be used and she said that it is entered into their computer system, but it is not diseminated or considered public record. I grudgingly filled out the SSN.

Next, I completed my medical records release and fingerprint cards except for the SSN fields that appeared on each. I went back to the clerk to return them and asked whether I was required to fill the SSN out on these forms for them to be accepted; She said yes. She told me that the medical records release would be shredded as soon as the check was conducted and the fingerprint cards would be stored in the Sherriff's office.

After filling my SSN in on those forms, she had me sign and put my right index print on what I assume will be my firearms license card at some point in the future. I payed $23 in cash to the clerk and handed over my $24 money order, payable to GBI. The clerk paper clipped the money order and fingerprint cards (actually there may have been something else ... didn't look closely) and she sent me to the fingerprint office. She informed me that I should receive my license via mail in 2 to 4 months.

I made my way the the fingerprint office, which is in the basement of the Sherriff Dept.'s section of the same building. A very nice lady took possession of the documents I brought over from the license office and scanned my prints.

Everyone was very nice including the clerk, who seemed quite understanding regarding my displeasure surounding the SSN stuff.

So now the clock starts.......

19. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Cob County CCW

April 6, 2006 and still no CCW received. I applied 14 weeks ago on 12/30/2005! :evil: :x

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

For a "conservative Republican" stronghold like Cobb, I have to say that the government up there often leans to the totalitarian side (both the extreme Right and the far Left agree on that-- citizens are state resources to be dominated and manipulated).

The lady may have been TOLD that she "needs" your SSN to do your application, but that's a lie. Maybe her boss lied to her, I don't know. The only legitimate reason for a SSN on a gun permit application is so that when you run the mandatory GCIC (criminal history check), your criminal record will not be mistaken for, or substituted with, the criminal history of some other person who has the same name as you. Many people in Georgia have the same name, both first and last. Even if you use a middle name or a suffix, i.e. Robert Joseph Jones Jr. this may not be enough, though it helps. But I'm certain that based on the DATE OF BIRTH and RACE and SEX of the person, the government can be reasonably sure that they're only getting your records and nobody else's, even without the SSN.

P.S. If you ever get questioned by a cop about your identity and you think he might call-in your name to see if there are any outstanding warrants on you, make sure to use your full and accurate name.