Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
atlsrt44 said:
common sense went the way of the dodo a long time ago. Who even considers a bb gun a weapon anyways?
+100

·
Registered
117 Posts
Again a situation I'm torn on... and this might be because I worked Juvenile Corrections in Florida...

The two kids charged were 17 years old. They knew it's against the law to bring any type of firearm to their school REGARDLESS of the type of firearm. They did so anyways. They got caught and now have to face the consequences.

If they were stupid enough to break the law, even if that law sucks in the eyes of many, then they don't deserve to have their butts bailed out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Adam5 said:
Like them or not those are the rules. They knew the rules, they broke the rules, and now they are suffering the consequences.
I do not think this is a healthy attitude for a liberty-loving citizen to take. No, not at all.

A lifetime loss of liberty, voting, bearing arms (even owning arms), just for touching a bb gun on one side of an imaginary line demarking school property, when such conduct would have been perfectly legal on the other side of the imaginary line?

This law is evil. It is immoral.

Illegal and wrong are not the same thing. In this case, it is the law that is wrong.
Agreed, not malum in se.

I remember having shotguns in my car to hunt on the way home when I was in high school (South Dakota). Some had gun racks in pickups. I got a young soldier out of a whole lot of trouble and saved his military career bc his buddy shot a bb gun out of my clien's car at another car's window. Of course my guy is then charged w ag assault as party to a crime.

These school cases are getting crazy. I wonder if it was a red rider?

Also, who is DKing?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,695 Posts
Arkimedes said:
Again a situation I'm torn on... and this might be because I worked Juvenile Corrections in Florida...

The two kids charged were 17 years old. They knew it's against the law to bring any type of firearm to their school REGARDLESS of the type of firearm. They did so anyways. They got caught and now have to face the consequences.

If they were stupid enough to break the law, even if that law sucks in the eyes of many, then they don't deserve to have their butts bailed out.
firearm??

Art. 1, Sec. 1 of Georgia’s Constitution says:
The right to trial by jury shall remain inviolate, except that the court shall render judgment without the
verdict of a jury in all civil cases where no issuable defense is filed and where a jury is not demanded
in writing by either party. In criminal cases, the defendant shall have a public and speedy trial by an
impartial jury; and the jury shall be judges of the law and the facts.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Arkimedes said:
They knew it's against the law to bring any type of firearm to their school REGARDLESS of the type of firearm.
A BB gun isn't a firearm.

Malum Prohibitum said:
"Weapon" means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind
Note that it does not say "any toy designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind," but "any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind." Is a BB Gun a weapon designed to propel a bb?
FWIW I've always considered a BB gun to be more of a training device than an actual weapon, (unless maybe one uses it as a club).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Although they are often thought of as toys, BB guns annually injure as many as 21,000 Americans, many of them children, according to a study in the November issue of Pediatrics.

Nonpowder guns kill an average of four Americans yearly, and from 1990 to 2000, there were 39 such deaths -- 32 of children younger than 15, the study found.

Nationally, an estimated 21,840 injuries related to nonpowder guns were treated in emergency departments in 2000 -- most in children ages 5 to 14, according to a report prepared by the American Academy of Pediatrics' Committee on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention.

"They're being given as toys without recognition that there may be a serious injury risk," said the report's author, Dr. Danielle Laraque, a New York pediatrician.

The report covers all nonpowder guns, also called air guns, not just the popular BB guns. Air guns have been used since the 16th century in warfare and to kill game as large as deer. Besides metal projectiles, air guns can launch gelatin balls filled with paint, such as those used in war games.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that there are approximately 3.2 million nonpowder guns sold yearly. Nonpowder guns are sold in many department stores, including toy stores.

According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the CPSC, there were 21,840 nonpowder gun?related injuries treated in emergency departments. Of these, 49% occurred in children 5 to 14 years of age and 33% in those 15 to 24 years of age.

Approximately 12% of injuries were to the eye; 24% were to the head and neck, 63% were to extremities; and 1% were to other body areas. With the exception of the age group of 0 to 4 years, most victims were males.

The report found a correlation between the increasing popularity of paintballs used in war games and an increase in eye injuries and noted that the visual outcome for many of these injuries is poor. Many of the injuries have occurred even with eye-protective devices, though none to players properly wearing an eye protector that meets current U.S. safety standards.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/b ... z10WgkuDZK

·
PawPaw x 3
8,320 Posts
Adam5 said:
Xiclotl said:
Still, he shouldn't have touched the dang thing. Should have just walked away.
This.

By handling it there, he broke the law.

You should send them DKing's contact information. they will need a criminal defense atty and he's one of the best.
This...no matter where you set the "imaginary boundary" someone will challenge it...in the end it is only anarchy...and in an anarchists world, rapists and murderers get killed only after they have raped and killed...the original poster said that the one who brought the gun to school was a juvenile...I am sure the juvenile...whether denoting age or propensity...knew he was screwing up...the older kids should have known better and will sadly pay a price for exercising bad judgement

·
68,118 Posts
Bkite said:
Somehow, you have failed to convince me that making life long felons out of kids with a BB gun is the only way to avoid anarchy.

:screwy:

Rape? Murder? You left out cannibalism. If we do not keep and enforce the draconian BB gun law, then there will be cannibalism!
:panic:

·
PawPaw x 3
8,320 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Bkite said:
Somehow, you have failed to convince me that making life long felons out of kids with a BB gun is the only way to avoid anarchy.

:screwy:
You sir are not whom I have to convince... you already have your stance :screwy:

·
68,118 Posts
So whom are you trying to convince? And why? The point hardly needs convincing. It is the way most people think, unfortunately. I think we should be convincing people to favor liberty, not draconian rules pertaining to anything that even looks like a weapon.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,320 Posts
Bkite said:
Bkite said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
It is the way most people think, unfortunately. .
So majority thought should not rule?....
Your's is better?
Sounds like a politicians' attidude that "I know what is better for you even if the majority of you think different" to me

·
68,118 Posts
Bkite said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
It is the way most people think, unfortunately. .
So majority thought should not rule?....
Let me be as clear as I can so as to avoid any confusion on this issue.

I hate democracy.

I hate the word. I hate the concept. I hate the result.

No, the majority should not rule.

I believe in a government of limited powers. Generally speaking, when a person is not harming his neighbor, whether by force or fraud, the government should have nothing to say to him, no jail or prison for him, and no SWAT team assaulting him - even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if the "majority" wants to imprison him.

If the majority wants to rule over decisions like, what is the proper punishment for murder, then, fine, have at it. It the majority wants the death penalty or life in prison, then that is fine with me.

If the majority wants to make a life long felon (with a 5 to 20 year prison sentence!) out of a hapless teenager that dared to commit the heinous crime of touching a BB Gun, then no, I say that majority rule has no place. It is an evil system. It is dangerous. It has dire results. That is why the Founding Fathers strove to strenously to insulate us from the whims of the majority.

No, thanks. No democracy for me. I was sold on avoiding it when I read Plato's apology. Gang rape is a democracy. It sucks. I hope I am being clear.

·
68,118 Posts
Bkite said:
Sounds like a politicians' attidude that "I know what is better for you even if the majority of you think different" to me
I sure the hell know better what to do with my life than you do, yes. Even if there are two of you and only one of me, resulting in you two out-voting me, I STILL know better. I do not believe that being part of a mob gives you any authority over me.

Let the sacred "majority" go about governing their own lives and stay out of everybody else's.

I prefer liberty.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,320 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Bkite said:
I sure the hell know better what to do with my life than you do, yes. Even if there are two of you and only one of me, resulting in you two out-voting me, I STILL know better. I do not believe that being part of a mob gives you any authority over me.

Let the sacred "majority" go about governing their own lives and stay out of everybody else's.

I prefer liberty.
The majority are for less taxes...the majority is for no amnesty...the majority is for gun rights... I hope they win out...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts