Co-worker's son arrested

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Xiclotl, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

Another boy brought the BB gun to school to show it off. Two of those caught are juveniles, but the co-worker's son & another boy are 17 so they were charged with felony possession of a weapon on school property and disrupting a school.

Question: How did all four of them bring the gun to school? Only one kid brought it. The others were handling it. Still dumb, but dang, show some common sense. Journos have no common sense sometimes. :screwy:

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Like them or not those are the rules. They knew the rules, they broke the rules, and now they are suffering the consequences.

3. samman23

samman23 New Member

what are they charged with?

4. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

Just updated. They even named her son first in the Channel 2 story. She's super p---, er mad. Talking about suing and everything.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25141370/detail.html

On what grounds does she think she's gonna sue? Did they lie in the article when they said that he was charged?

6. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

He was charged alright. She's just mad. Complaining that the school resource officer has it out for her son. Still, he shouldn't have touched the dang thing. Should have just walked away.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This.

By handling it there, he broke the law.

You should send them DKing's contact information. they will need a criminal defense atty and he's one of the best.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not think this is a healthy attitude for a liberty-loving citizen to take. No, not at all.

A lifetime loss of liberty, voting, bearing arms (even owning arms), just for touching a bb gun on one side of an imaginary line demarking school property, when such conduct would have been perfectly legal on the other side of the imaginary line?

This law is evil. It is immoral.

Illegal and wrong are not the same thing. In this case, it is the law that is wrong.

9. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

Really? I remember having to use blunt scissors, but having a compass/protractor set that could kill a rhino. Do kids still use compasses for geometry anymore? God I feel old for asking that.

10. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

Zero tolerance really means having to use zero intelligence or wisdom. It's a mental shortcut to a inflict a punishment and look like you are taking a hard line against an offence. I say make the kids clean the school for a week and make the kid who brought the gun do it for a month.

My GF's dad was in ROTC in South Fulton and they handled (shock) real guns. By the time she went to school it was wooden rifles.

11. AV8R

AV8R Banned

+1 and thanks for saving me some typing.

12. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Last I heard most sharp, pointy objects make more than adequate weapons.
    [​IMG]

13. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Well, there are two sides to this. Yes, the fact that the rule is in place is terrible and something needs to be done about it. On the other hand, yes, the rule is in fact in place, so if one breaks the rule, one should reasonably expect the consequences, as well. As we have all learned over the last couple of years, the way to change bad laws is not to sit around talking about how bad they are.

14. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

My son graduated from chef school at Gwinnett Tech. Everyday he carried 12" butcher and carving knives down to little paring knives. I believe it was an even dozen knives in the set. In and out the front door everytime. To every class (including required classes like math) everytime. Yet he could have gone to prison for carrying a pocket knife if he were caught with one. He asked his instructors about this and the answer was "Don't ask". Zero tolerance stinks and just lets the administration off the hook from having to make a decision. I don't think she can sue (and win) but calling D. King is an excellent idea. Maybe she can keep him from being scared (record wise) for life for this. Don't know but it might be worth a try.

15. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

common sense went the way of the dodo a long time ago. Who even considers a bb gun a weapon anyways?

16. mountainman444

Yes it did.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm not claiming to like the law or that I agree with it.

I'm just saying that 99.99% of high school students know that weapons are not allowed on school property and know that's also against the law to have one there.

I used to not like having to disarm at public gatherings. If was at a PG and someone else had a gun, would I play with and handle it or would I have left the area and that person? I would have left the area and that person. Did I ignore the law and carry anyway, or did I support GCO in getting the law changed? I obeyed the bad law and supported a group that wanted to change it for the better.

Good law or bad law is irrelevant here. You can't ignore a law just because you don't like it. There are consequences for doing so.

Did he handle the bb gun on school property? Did he know that it was against the law to have it on school property? Did he know that is was against school system rules?

18. Malum Prohibitum

That is an interesting question. I wonder what the answer is.

Note that it does not say "any toy designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind," but "any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind." Is a BB Gun a weapon designed to propel a bb?

19. Malum Prohibitum

I cannot agree that it is ever irrelevant. Sorry. For me it is more relevant than anything else being discussed in this thread.

20. mountainman444

Gotta love lawyers!!! :lol: That's why it's wise to get legal advise when your in trouble.