Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/08/etzioni.guns.in.school/index.html?hpt=C2
One study examined violence in 23 high-income countries and found that the firearm homicide rate was nearly 20 times higher in the U.S. than in the other countries, all of which have stricter gun control laws than the U.S. America has more firearms per capita than the other countries, more handguns per capita, and has the most permissive gun control laws of all the nations. Among the 23 countries, 80% of all firearm deaths happened in the United States; 86% of women killed by firearms were U.S. women; and 87% of all children up to 14 years old who were killed by guns were U.S. children.
Unfortunately he didn't identify which study he was referring to.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree 100%. This is the only type of gun articles I see on CNN - opinion pieces about how gun advocates are wrong, they're be blood in the streets, and there is some study that shows how the US, incomparison to other countries, is crime-ridden because of poor gun control. Of course, CNN generally keeps the "Ticker: Bad News for Palin" headline on the home page at least a couple of days each week....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
People calculate rates in so many ways it's ridiculous. Some of the studies liberals point to for gun violence data include suicides and people using them to defend themselves in their own home.

As my Educational Research professor said, don't believe the numbers until you know where they came from. After all, 93.7% of all statistics are BS that people pull out of their behind.

If you want proof of this, according to US News & World Reports, Georgia Southern University is the 4th most popular university in the country. How did they get this number? Surveys? Rubrics looking at student quality of life? Nope... Looking at the ratio of the number of people who got accepted to the number of people who chose to attend for one semester.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I love how they only talk about firearm violence. Firearm violence != all violence

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
rankhornjp said:
I love how they only talk about firearm violence. Firearm violence != all violence
I guess they discount all other fores of violence. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
rankhornjp said:
Don't you know you're more dead if shot to death than if stabbed to death?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like this CNN opinion piece caught the attention of the NRA as well. From yesterday's NRAILA update: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6409
And there’s one more thing Etzioni doesn’t mention. Etzioni is the founder of Communitarianism, a philosophy centered on the idea that individuals have “positive rights,†such as the “right†to live in a safe environment, which they would not have were it not for the existence of society. In the interest of society, Etzioni’s theory goes, individuals must be deprived of certain private “negative rights,†the Communitarians’ name for natural rights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts