CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by rjinga, Jul 2, 2017.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

It’s a really cool place! Here’s their website: http://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/

My new shooting buddy, ber950, and I make the approximately five-hour round-trip to the park and really enjoyed ourselves. I shot four different brands of ammunition through my PTR 91, GI model, off of a table rest using the iron sights. I’ll refer to them as MEN16, Surplus, Match, and Wolf.
    [​IMG]

The staff at the check-in deck suggested/requested that we start at the 100 yd range to make sure we were sighted in properly, so we did. This was with MEN16:
    [​IMG]
    The ring markings are not on the actual target; all you have to aim at is the black circle on a white background. The diameters on the SR-1 target are: X ring - 1.35”; 10 ring - 3.35”; 9 ring - 6.35”; 8 ring - 9.35; and, 7 ring - 12.35”. Also, your last ten shots are shown down the right side of the monitor, and the total score is right below that. However, unless it’s a scheduled match, the monitors aren’t set up to count 1/10s of a point. That’s why the score is less than the actual sum total of every shot.

After that we moved to the 200, 300, and 600 yd range.
    [​IMG]

I started with 10 rounds of everything except the Wolf ammo at 200 yds.
    MEN16
    [​IMG]

Just like at the 100 yd range, all you have is a black circle (13”) on a white (6’ x 6’) background. The diameters of the SR target are: X ring – 3”; 10 ring – 7”; 9 ring – 13”; 8 ring – 19”; 7 ring – 25”.

Surplus
    [​IMG]
    Close-up
    [​IMG]

Match
    [​IMG]
    Close-up
    [​IMG]

Then we moved to 300 yds. Now the black circle is 19”.

MEN16
    [​IMG]

Surplus
    [​IMG]
    Close-up
    [​IMG]

Match
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. rjinga

rjinga Member

Cont.

Then, I wanted to move to the 600 yd target. However, since my rear sights only went up to 400 meters, the Range Safety Officer only let me shoot one shot at the top of the black circle at 600 yds. When that shot hit the berm in front of the target, I had to go back to 300 and 200 yds.

MEN16 (only nine rounds)
    [​IMG]

Surplus (the wind was really becoming a factor now)
    [​IMG]

Match (more wind)
    [​IMG]

Wolf
    [​IMG]

Surplus
    [​IMG]
    Close-up
    [​IMG]

Match (the wind was really blow right to left now, but I tried not to change my sight picture so that the group would be constant)
    [​IMG]
    Close-up
    [​IMG]

Wolf again
    [​IMG]
    Close-up
    [​IMG]

3. rjinga

rjinga Member

Been there, done that, bought a hat.
    [​IMG]

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I still need to upload them but my shot photos look about the same. Just a little tighter but I was using an old Leupold Varix=iii 1.5-5 x 20 scope with a duplex reticle. 5x is a little low for 600 yards but definitely usable. At 300 I started out aiming for the top of the bull because I was using a 50/200 zero and I wanted to see the drop at 300. 55gr ammo worked great out to 300 yards but the wind was starting to pick up by the time I was ready for 600 yards and the rangemaster suggested I go heaver. I started by getting a solid 300 yard zero with 69 grain Privi Match and moved out to 600 with a 14 moa vertical adjustment. Still was a little low and several inches left but still in the black because of the wind. Switched to Hornady Match 75 grain when the Privi Match ran out. Groups were about the same size.

Equipment used:
    Radical Firearms AR-15 w/ Free Float Government profile barrel 1/7 twist. http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/fr16-5.56soc-12fgs.htm
    G2S Trigger. https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html
    Weaver SPR Mount
    Leupold 1.5-5 x 20 Vari X-III (Discontinued. I bought in in the early 80's)
    Magpul CTR stock.
    Privi Partisan 69 grain Match (This stuff shoots great and cost about half as much as the Hornady.)
    Hornady 75 grain Match
    55 grain ballistic tip reloads.

200 yards 55 grain reloads
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7HXb1ZWv27xbXNjY3VoZHNBcXc/view?usp=sharing
    600 yard 75 grain match.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7HXb1ZWv27xam9IVnJYVGtHTjg/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks for the detailed review and information. Did you make it to the CMP Store and the M1s?

6. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

Very cool! I'd like to go to the next one if we're free next time you go. Keep us updated.

7. rjinga

rjinga Member

Yes (that's where I got the hat). I think they had two racks of M1. I just looked; I didn't even touch. I figured it was sort of like puppies. If I didn't even pick one up, then there's less of a chance of me taking one home. :lol:

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I hear you. Glad to know they at least had a couple racks of M1s on site, thanks!

9. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Can't just pay and walk out, there's a lot of hoops to jump through.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Like membership in a shooting organization, proof of citizenship, etc.

11. rjinga

rjinga Member

I didn't think so. IIRC, we filled out a liability wavier (our first visit; don't think we have to do it again) while we watched a short safety video, and then paid and headed to the range.

12. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The actual CMP store is at a different location. They have a store at the range that sells to anyone.

13. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I'm going to try to get out there this coming Sunday if it isn't raining. I'm pretty sure I can carry my rifle on my motorcycle. It's only 88 miles from where I live.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

15. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I'm not getting the "xm" and "ym" numbers. I'm thought they represented max horizontal and vertical measurements, but in the 5th photo of your second post, the numbers seem off. The horizontal doesn't look like it would be near what it says.

16. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yes they are computer displays. You sit at the line and never have to leave to get your groups. Exactly how it works is a little over my head but if I understand correctly its acoustic sensors in the targets.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  17. ber950

ber950 Active Member

They explained that the ym and xm numbers had to be set for each distance in the computer and they didn't bother except in matches. Each ring is 1 moa. It is set up on the 100 yard range because the distance doesn't change.

18. rjinga

rjinga Member

19. carnut

carnut Member

20. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty cool stuff.