Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a family reason to travel to Tuscaloosa, AL this weekend. I tentatively plan to stop at CMP Talladega to finally sight in my AR-10. Anyone shoot there recently? Is this a decent place to shoot 200+ yards? Any ideas or comments are welcome.

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stopped by and did some shooting. Great place. Some procedural BS due to being a Federal facility, but overall one of the best range complexes I have ever shot at. I highly recommend this place. I definitely plan to use it again. Only two hours from Atlanta straight out I-20.

· Registered
3,630 Posts
Been there it’s awesome

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You cannot carry any firearm inside any building at any time. Drive up, leave guns in car, sign in, go back to car, get gun(s). Walk the long way AROUND the building to get to certain ranges. Drive to other ranges if necessary.
Mandatory safety and procedure briefing (video - 10-15 minutes) covers all of this, but you need to know the no firearms rule before you walk in. Video is good for one year - they give you a card.
Chamber flags at all times unless on the firing line and in hand - they will give you one to start.
All guns pointed downrange at all times, including in a closed case at the line. You better remember which way you put the gun in the case because it must open with the gun pointed downrange.
Must qualify on the 100 yd range before going on the longer range.

Positives: Electronic scoring - No binoculars needed for longer ranges. The facilities are top-notch and well supervised. Plenty of room and solid benches on the 100 yd range. I didn't get any hassle about picking up my own brass, at least on the 100 yd range. I didn't get to the longer range as I was still sighting in my rifle. Staff is helpful and pleasant. Very welcoming to newcomers.

· Registered
3,581 Posts
Most of that applies at other ranges. The only thing that doesn’t is no firearms in the building. Chamber flags/ECI required at riverbend
Must qualify to shoot at 600 at riverbend
Had to watch video to shoot at governors in powder springs. Complimentary golf carts are available to haul gear down to the line which are right next to the parking area then walk straight through the building down the steps to the 600 yard line …maybe 200 feet. All guns being pointed down range requirement has been the rule at any rage and one I agree with

· Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't citing those as particular to the Federal facility, just including them for a complete experience. I do think they take the "always downrange" requirement to an extreme as it applies to cased guns.

· Registered
3,581 Posts
I don’t recall seeing case orientation being monitored. Always been natural habit to have the muzzle end down range for me. It’s not super enforced or else you couldn’t haul them on the cart to get down range

1 - 10 of 10 Posts