Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Professional Troll
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread just to be kind of an "unofficial" document of which CLEOs in which counties will sign off on ATF form 4 for transfer of NFA firearms (machine guns, suppressors, sawed off rifles and shotguns, ect)

I purchased a suppressor about 2 weeks ago from Autrey's Armory. While I was waiting for them to mail me the form 4, I though I would call the CLEO's in my county and find out who would sign.

Carroll County Sheriff Terry Langley:

Signs them all the time, nothing short of routine. Just bring the form4 in and give it the sheriff's secretary, Ms. Hightower. The sheriff usually signs and returns the form within a few days.

Carroll County District Attorney Peter Skandalakis:

In his 20+ years of being a D.A., he has never had anyone ask him to sign off on a form 4. He said that he is not opposed to me owning a suppressor, but was kind of curious as to why I wanted one. I told him it was because I wanted to target practice in my back yard without disturbing the neighbors across the street. He asked if I was or has been convicted of a crime and wanted to know if he was supposed to run a background check on me prior to signing. I told him that I believe that he did had to run a GCIC check on me prior to signing, but the NICS stuff would be left up to the feds. He asked me to bring the form to him when I got it so he could see what it "looks like", in the meantime he would speak with the sheriff and find out what the SOP is with form 4's.

City of Carrollton PD Cheif Joel Richards:

Cheif Richards returned my call, He was unclear as to what I was asking him about, so he needed clarification. After I explained to him what I needed to have signed and why, he said that he has never had anyone to ask him to sign a form 4. He said that he has a buddy that is also a LEO over at the sheriff's office and that he would call him and ask him since he (his buddy) owns some NFA stuff. I recieved a call back from Mr. Richards about 15 minutes later. He told me that his buddy said for me to come down to the sheriff's office and have Sheriff Langley sign off on it. He said that Sheriff Langley gets about half a dozen or so requests each year for a form 4 sign off and he has no problem doing it.

On a more interesting note, the saleperson at Autrey's Armory told me that if I lived in either Fulton or Clayton County not to bother with the sheriff's there, they will refuse to sign form 4's and that both sheriffs are opposed to simple civilians owning guns, much less NFA firearms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
ICP_Juggalo said:
On a more interesting note, the saleperson at Autrey's Armory told me that if I lived in either Fulton or Clayton County not to bother with the sheriff's there, they will refuse to sign form 4's and that both sheriffs are opposed to simple civilians owning guns, much less NFA firearms.
Can anybody corroborate this? I thought a couple folks on here had some class III stuff that lived in Fulton - though I guess they could have gotten it while living in another county. Makes me :cry:.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
misawa said:
ICP_Juggalo said:
On a more interesting note, the saleperson at Autrey's Armory told me that if I lived in either Fulton or Clayton County not to bother with the sheriff's there, they will refuse to sign form 4's and that both sheriffs are opposed to simple civilians owning guns, much less NFA firearms.
Can anybody corroborate this? I thought a couple folks on here had some class III stuff that lived in Fulton - though I guess they could have gotten it while living in another county. Makes me :cry:.
Living trust?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
ICP_Juggalo said:
Carroll County District Attorney Peter Skandalakis:

. . . He asked if . . . he was supposed to run a background check on me prior to signing.
No, sir. Read right here, Mr. Skandalakis. It just says that my possession would not violate any local laws. This keeps the overworked ATF from having to research local laws all over the United States. As you already know, being a local prosecutor, there are no such local laws here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
viper32cm said:
misawa said:
ICP_Juggalo said:
On a more interesting note, the saleperson at Autrey's Armory told me that if I lived in either Fulton or Clayton County not to bother with the sheriff's there, they will refuse to sign form 4's and that both sheriffs are opposed to simple civilians owning guns, much less NFA firearms.
Can anybody corroborate this? I thought a couple folks on here had some class III stuff that lived in Fulton - though I guess they could have gotten it while living in another county. Makes me :cry:.
Living trust?
Actually, any personal property trust... or a corporation...

Anybody know if an LLC would qualify as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
budder said:
Setting up a trust is probably the easiest way and many of the dealers will have people walk you through it. I know the guys at Polite Society Inc will do it for free (suppressors, but I don't think FA).
Yup, and a huge +1 to Mark and Allen at Polite Society. All you need to do is buy last years Quicken Willmaker from ebay $10< fill out the forms, get it notarized and make some copies. Your dealer should do the rest.
 

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
I was told today (by Josh at Mission Essential, when I went down there to bend his ear about GCO sponsorship) that the Bulloch Co. Sheriff signs off on just about anything. He said you typically have to meet with the sheriff but that's just so he can ask you why you want a happy switch or a boomcan.
 

·
Professional Troll
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jmark said:
budder said:
Setting up a trust is probably the easiest way and many of the dealers will have people walk you through it. I know the guys at Polite Society Inc will do it for free (suppressors, but I don't think FA).
Yup, and a huge +1 to Mark and Allen at Polite Society. All you need to do is buy last years Quicken Willmaker from ebay $10< fill out the forms, get it notarized and make some copies. Your dealer should do the rest.
Where is polite society located at? I seen them on the dealers page on Advance Armament's website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
budder said:
They're located here: http://www.politesocietyinc.com/

If what they told me at the silencer shoot is correct, they don't have a physical office anymore, so they can minimize costs.
FYI: There is another Silencer Shoot in Red hill coming up on September 22nd. If any of you guys ever wondered about purchasing one this is the place to check everything out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Jmark said:
FYI: There is another Silencer Shoot in Red hill coming up on September 22nd. If any of you guys ever wondered about purchasing one this is the place to check everything out.
:!:
Color me interested - can you post/pm/email the details (specifically where, times, entry fee, etc)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
budder said:
Setting up a trust is probably the easiest way and many of the dealers will have people walk you through it. I know the guys at Polite Society Inc will do it for free (suppressors, but I don't think FA).
The Trust method works great....just remember you are dealing with a powerful legal document that should be at least reviewed by a lawyer in my opinion. The ATF is beginning to look at them more closely as popularity grows and you dont want to be caught off guard by a improper document for an NFA item. Plus transfeer upon your death can be tricky so you will want to make very certain that your executor has specific instructions for any NFA item or else the state will have a nice gift.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Jmark said:
budder said:
They're located here: http://www.politesocietyinc.com/

If what they told me at the silencer shoot is correct, they don't have a physical office anymore, so they can minimize costs.
FYI: There is another Silencer Shoot in Red hill coming up on September 22nd. If any of you guys ever wondered about purchasing one this is the place to check everything out.
I made it to the June one, but I have a class conflict this time :(
 
1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Top