CLEO Sign-off ATF Form 1 (SBR)

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Grunt68, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Grunt68

Grunt68 New Member

Newbie with a question - Fulton County Chief of Police. Does anyone here know the policy of the Fulton County Police Chief with regard to signing ATF Form 1? Will he sign it or not? I can't find anything on the web where this have come up before.

Update: 9/11/16

Disregard as I found the answer. ATF regulation has changed July 2016. The new regulation only requires that the CLEO be notified. His signature is no longer required.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

He probably wouldnt have if it was required. "Why does this guy need an assault weapon in my county?" ...yeah I know it's sbr but you know....
    iirc Fulton in the past has even been slow approving gwcl's.

3. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

thats why i did a trust as the Fulton sheriff wouldn't sign. new law helps

4. Feral

Feral Active Member

Does it not bother anyone else that you must notify a LEO that you're acquiring a firearm?

5. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

As others pointed out, as of July 13th, 2016 the personal opinion or approval of local CLEO is irrelevant. Under the new system you send them a notification form and that it is. They can be as anti-NFA as they want, it doesn't matter now.

My only recommendation is the notification form be sent signature certified for your own records, for any bizarre situations that may arise.

6. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

The part that's really bothersome is that these notifications will likely be subject to FOIA so someone will be putting it out publicly at some point.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Certified signature.... what if the Sheriff's office won't sign?
    What if it gets returned to you as undeliverable/ refused?
    THEN can you still say you notified the C.L.E.O.?
    I don't know. Some Sheriff's are so anti-gun, if the think they can keep you from getting a gun by refusing all certified mail, maybe they will.
    After all, the law doesn't say they have to accept certified mail and direct their staff to sign the receipt for it.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

There's nothing in the new regulations stating the CLEO is required to maintain these notifications. Most of them will probably end up in the dumpster.

9. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Perhaps here in GA that's the case but there are plenty of localities that aren't gun friendly that will hold onto this info in the hope that someone will request it to be released.

10. moe mensale

There's nothing in the regulations stating how the notification is to be delivered nor is there anything stating that the applicant is required to maintain any form of proof of delivery.

It's no different than filing a Form 7 for an FFL where the applicant send a copy to the CLEO for his records. What he does with the form is his problem.

Stick a stamp on it, drop it in the mail, done.

11. moe mensale

The CLEO can refuse to accept certified mail. That has absolutely no effect on whether the ATF approves or denies the application. You're not asking the CLEO for his approval anymore. You're just informing him that you're getting a new toy.

12. moe mensale

Don't forget that Forms 1 & 4 are "tax returns" (you're paying a tax to the feds). You can't normally request someone else's tax information.

13. moe mensale

This thread has nothing to do with the GWCL. May someone can move it to the "firearms related" forum?

14. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I'm not speaking of that, I'm talking about the notifications the CLEO's receive.

15. moe mensale

The notification sent to the CLEO is the Form 1 or 4. There's 3 copies. Two go to the ATF (one gets returned to the applicant approved or denied). The 3rd copy, exactly the same as the first 2 copies, goes to the CLEO. There's no separate, different form.

16. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

I would venture to say a receipt of a return would serve as proof of notification.

However, this would seem an extremely bizarre outcome as the form you are sending doesn't have to be any specifically marked envelope.

Also, I don't remember off the top of my head, but the notification form doesn't contain the same info as the actual ATF paperwork. Let me see if I can go find it real quick...

Edit: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...ponsible-person-questionnaire-532023/download (scroll down to the CLEO portion)

Looks like the serial number and photo section is redacted on theirs. You do however provied your name, address, caliber, and model.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  17. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

As I understand the local law enforcement is going to have a copy of the paperwork which is worse then before in my opinion.

18. Grunt68

Grunt68 New Member

I'm retired law enforcement from another state so my view on this will be different from most of you. Law enforcement officers should know where the guns are. When I'm dispatched to a domestic violence call for instance the first thing I want to hear from the dispatcher is are there guns in the home. Domestic violence calls are amongst the most dangerous calls an officer can respond. Google it. Domestic violence calls can be more dangerous than responding to an armed robbery report. At least with an armed robbery the officer knows what's coming. Police officer safety is the primary reason the police are involved in the firearms licensing process. Awareness is key to officer safety. For obvious reasons I am not bother at all. I posed the original question because I know in my former state Chief's of Police are the licensing authority. There, most Chiefs would not sign off.

19. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

There is no gun registration in GA. You should always assume there is a gun on any call, even if dispatch had told you there isn't. Law abiding citizens should not have to forfeit their right to privacy or compromise their second amendment rights so you can feel better about doing your job. I greatly respect law enforcement, but the fact of the matter is, that if you're not comfortable with the fact that your job is highly likely to get you killed and the rights of the citizens you SERVE, not rule over, are more important than your feelings of security, you don't need to pick up a badge. Putting on the uniform is a sacrifice of service, and is deserving of respect, but the sacrifice is known up front--don't ask me to compromise my rights because you're uncomfortable doing the job you chose to do.

20. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

:popcorn: