Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a NIB PLR-16. When I went to clean it, wiping down the barrel, etc with a patch and oil, I noticed the patch had a brown tinge to it. I assume this is light rust? It was not noticeable to the bare eye, I just see what's on the patch and assume it's light surface rust. What else would it be, right?

What is the best way to remove it? Right now I just have a good coat of oil on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Should I just keep going over it with a patch and oil until I see that I get no more residue, or would scrubbing it with solvent and a toothbrush help? I've seen folks mention using gun oil and extremely fine steel wool, but I would prefer to avoid using steel wool or anything too abrasive and I can take care of this another way. Like I said, it's not visable when looking at the gun, it just rubs off on the patch when I went to clean it.

Any input would be apprecieated.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
Brush it with a bronze brush and Break Free CLP, wipe off the "golden" residue left by the brush and re-oil with CLP again. Keep it oiled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
I use 0000 steel wool with CLP or Blue Wonder cleaner for more serious cases. That grade of steel wool & oil won't harm the bluing either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
300 Grit Sandpaper :wink:
 

·
Ordinary Average Guy
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
score69 said:
I recently bought a NIB PLR-16. When I went to clean it, wiping down the barrel, etc with a patch and oil, I noticed the patch had a brown tinge to it. I assume this is light rust? It was not noticeable to the bare eye, I just see what's on the patch and assume it's light surface rust. What else would it be, right?
I find it a little odd, ( but not unheard of ) that a NIB firearm would be rusty. :?

Perhaps it's the preservative they used at the factory that's showing up as the brown tinge on your patch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
ARMT Guy said:
score69 said:
I recently bought a NIB PLR-16. When I went to clean it, wiping down the barrel, etc with a patch and oil, I noticed the patch had a brown tinge to it. I assume this is light rust? It was not noticeable to the bare eye, I just see what's on the patch and assume it's light surface rust. What else would it be, right?
I find it a little odd, ( but not unheard of ) that a NIB firearm would be rusty. :?

Perhaps it's the preservative they used at the factory that's showing up as the brown tinge on your patch?
I'm inclined to agree with ARMT Guy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ARMT Guy said:
score69 said:
I recently bought a NIB PLR-16. When I went to clean it, wiping down the barrel, etc with a patch and oil, I noticed the patch had a brown tinge to it. I assume this is light rust? It was not noticeable to the bare eye, I just see what's on the patch and assume it's light surface rust. What else would it be, right?
I find it a little odd, ( but not unheard of ) that a NIB firearm would be rusty. :?

Perhaps it's the preservative they used at the factory that's showing up as the brown tinge on your patch?
Yes this is what I was wondering as well. Not sure if it's really rust, I just assumed it was. I'll give it another good scrubbing this weekend and see if I'm still seeing brown residue on the patched after. The gun itself looks great, just never had patches this dirty, even cleaning a new gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I laugh every time I see that picture. Saw it on the KelTec forum as well. That poor gun. :lol:

Haven't had the opportunity to field strip or shoot mine yet, but I agree it seems like a fine gun for the money. I really just got mine as a range toy. Would have bought a Sig 556 pistol if I were planning on having it as a HD weapon. Cant wait to get it to the range though. Only thing left I really need to do it get a single point sling and a case for it. Think I'm just going to stick with the iron sights. I painted them up to make them a little more visable and I think they'll be fine. :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it was definitely rust. :evil:

I finally stripped it down to clean it yesterday. Very dirty in the gas tube, so hopefully they at least shot it enough to ensure it's reliable. We shall see.

The primary area that had rust was the outside, barrel, etc. Was not noticable to the eye, but after going over it very well with oiled patches over and over again, it finally came clean. The charging handle however was coated with heavy rust on the inside. I buffed it with with oil and the dremel and it looks fine now.

I just don't understand how it could have rusted that quickly. It appeared to have been oiled at the factory and from what I hear most of these things sell as quickly as they can make them. I saw them in stock and sell out on Bud's several times while I was waiting for the price to drop, and since it took them longer to ship than other guns I've bought from them, I assume it wasn't really in stock when I ordered it.

Oh well, it appears to be cleaned up now. I'll just keep it well oiled on the outside between range visits. Can't wait to take it out when I get the chance. Still need to find a decent case/bag for it and a single point sling and I should be good to go. :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
KingTiger said:
I use 0000 steel wool with CLP or Blue Wonder cleaner for more serious cases. That grade of steel wool & oil won't harm the bluing either.
Same here 0000 steel wool works great. :righton:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top