Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else use the classic shaving equipment? I've stopped using cartridge razors bc of the price and irritation. I was more than surprised after switching to a safety razor with just one blade I got a better, closer shave with NO irritation like with the other ones. The best part? I can buy 100 double edge blades that are sharper than anything others are offering for about $13/pack. The soap is only about $14 and everything lasts for months! For aftershave and pre-shave I use Lather and Wood Sandalwood products. Love the smell of them. Trying to find a good Sandalwood cologne now. Also getting up the nerve to do a straight razor (non-replaceable blade) next.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use a Merkur 23C , a mug, shave soap, and a bristle brush. I have some aftershave that the wifey likes, so long as I lighten it up by using a wet towel after. It's the best shave I've ever gotten at home. Only thing better is a good barber with an old fashioned straight razor, and hot towels.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Still using the same razor I was issued at Parris Island last Century. I use a brush and bowl with a round soap bar. I use Mennen Skin Bracer aftershave. I might have used a different razor over the years but was never issued one.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I bought a Merkur over 8 years ago. I found a 100-pack of blades online for about $6 with shipping several years ago. I still have a good bit of that pack. Do not buy those double edge blades at Wamfart - overpriced ripoff junk. I do buy my shave soap at Wamfart, though. This setup has already paid for itself, many times over, compared to buying blade cartridges. Buying disposable blade cartridges is like getting cornholed without even getting a reacharound or a kiss.

I discovered, for me, that it didn't matter one single bit whether I shaved before or after my shower. The quality of the shave was the same.

However, out of laziness, I have now gotten to where I use my old electric razor instead. It is quicker and simpler, less junk to fiddle with, I don't give a flying flip how smooth my face is, and neither does anyone else. When you get old, you stop giving a sheatt about much of anything. Because it doesn't matter. Most everything is just rhetoric. And rhetoric just chaps my ass.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Glockenator be sure to reach back and kick the crap out of those Hellhounds ever now and again.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Haven't shaved since September, but when I do I use a safety razor and brush and bowl. Love it.

Even better is a good straight razor shave. That's the ultimate.
Next time you are out Country Club Rd Area let me know and I'll give you a blade. :wink:

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,662 Posts
Next time you are out Country Club Rd Area let me know and I'll give you a blade. :wink:
I'm digging my beard for now, but I do collect straight razors... PM me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have been wanting to try a good straight razor too. Being a woodworker and workshop hobbyist, I am quite handy with a good blade. It's just that when I was looking for such a razor - damn, the good ones are expensive. I don't mine paying for quality, but since I have a really good razor now (Merkur), and not a lot of disposable income, so it really isn't a priority for me.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
What is this “shave” you people speak of?

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I shave with safety razor. Water only. I've been doing it for the past 3 yrs or so. No irritation and takes 30 seconds.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
I don't shave. Every 3-5 days I get a small electric clipper and go over the face. I might shave for a funeral but not for a wedding last October.

Nemo

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,418 Posts
My experience is here.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/threads/shaving-questions.270989/page-2#post-2882607

Today, I can't say it's less irritating. I still have a Mach3 in the camper, and it seems to be less effort. But I'm done paying $20-something for a few new blades every so often. I have figured out if it feels like I'm scraping, I'm not holding it at a shallow enough angle. Blade to skin needs to be like 20° or so.

I probably could use some pre-shave oil or something. It doesn't take long before it's not slippery. I just don't know what to try or where to look for it. I've lately been just doing two sets of lather-and-shave passes.

How many shaves per blade are y'all getting? I'm probably stretching it, but I'm every other day, 2 weeks, flip the blade at 1 week. So 7 for me.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
Right now I have the longest beard I've ever had in my life. Not sure if/when I'll ever trim it. I kid my little girl that I'm going to let it grow down to my toes.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
I do sort of miss my face...almost.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
We don't.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts