Class III? I'm not sure...

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by dbaker, Apr 8, 2007.

1. dbaker

dbaker New Member

I really don't know too much about this but I was wondering what you would have to go through to purchase a Glock 18 (or modify a Glock 17). I heard someone once tell me that a Class III firearms license is required but I don't have any facts.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

A civillian can not legally own a G18 in the US. Even with a class III, you can't own a class III weapon made after 1986.The only "real" G18's (not converted 17's) that I have heard of in the US have been LEO demos. Clydes Armory in Athens had one on their website for a while.

This site seems to have some general info on getting a class III. http://publicrights.org/NFA/index.html

As far as how to convert A G17 to full auto, I wouldn't know where to start other than gettng a Class III permit, and posting in th efree fire zone of Glock Talk.

Edit: I checked, the G18 is still on their website. http://policeguns.com/2006/cart.cfm?CFID=233488&CFTOKEN=93545526&id=prodView&ProductID=5392

3. dbaker

dbaker New Member

Thanks for the info! If I had an 18, I really wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. I see no practical use for the weapon except to waste ammunition :lol:

Looks like getting a Class III isn't an easy process...

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

i know of aleast one member on here who has a class III. He may be able to give you more info.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I think there are 2 legally transferrable G18's in the United States that came in right under the ban.

If you are an SOT you can have one... but it's gonna be a demo pistol.

You don't 'get' a class III. It's not a permit. It's more of a class of weapons... but you have to go through the ATF to get them. If you can buy a pistol or rifle, you can get anything ClassIII. The only hard part is getting a crappy Chief-LEO to sign off on your paperwork. There are ways around it... I have been thinking about getting an SBR forever... it's always something that comes up and it moves to the back of the line.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Trust baby. Create a trust.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

How about Beretta 92R

Beretta made a select-fire version of their 92 model. This was built as far back as the late 1970s, I think. They were all supposedly for military teams and police only, but I think any of them that were originally registered (to anybody, or any agency) prior to 1986 would be tranferable. So if you want a 9mm pistol that looks like a real handgun but fires like a submachinegun, this may be an option. There are more of them out there in the market.

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I bought 'willmaker' a while back the last time I wanted a Class III gun. Maybe I should dust it off and set up my trust once and for all. I'm looking at a AK-74 next, maybe instead I'll just buy an AR lower, do the form for making it an SBR and slap an 11.5" barrel on it.

There is also a 200 dollar "tax stamp" just for the privilege of doing so.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

10. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Is the tax stamp one time only or is it recurring?

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think it's very time you purchase a Class III weapon.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Bingo

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If you mean members who own NFA weapons, I can think of half a dozen on this forum. I know the majority of them have even shown up at GPDO informal shoots with them.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not know what is so difficult about this. In fact, I have never heard of a resident of Georgia experiencing a problem in obtaining such a signature. Do you have any bad experience to relate?

You can get the AK-47 in SBR, too. You can even make one yourself! :D

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No. I just like the option to write my family members into the trust so they can legally posses the weapon/device.

Also, I don't have to submit prints. I know they already have them, but if I can legally thumb my nose at their system I will.

16. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

yep , its called brother n law, is the shreiff