City of Atlanta and shutting down public roads for private purposes

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Clark, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

So by what legal basis does Atlanta justify shutting down public roads for private [non-emergency] purposes? I don't mean a few small roads, I mean major thoroughfares so people can run races, or for a few drunk new-urbanists to stick their middle fingers out at cars. Even more specifically, can they legally prevent residents from accessing their homes that front these roads? I know it's the city of Atlanta so they're going to do what they want anyways, but do they have even a flimsy legal leg to stand on for this garbage?

Harhib likes this.
  2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that they get paid buy the folks hosting the events. For space, police presence, garbage pickup, etc. They're not just doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What are you ranting about?

4. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Things like all the marathons on Sunday mornings that effectively cut Atlanta in half. Or like this past Sunday's "Atlanta Streets Alive" where they shut down a major thoroughfare from Decatur all the way to Buckhead. I noticed when driving on the latter route the day before that there are a lot of single family homes that would effectively have all access to or from cutoff.

5. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Once an event is approved/permitted, I guess they can shut things down in the name of "public safety."

Kinda like how the federal government uses "national security" as a reason for all kinds of things.

mountainman444 likes this.
  6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

They normally have alternate routes that are open and accessible for local residents.

7. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Fiat?

8. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I mean why is this a question?