Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 40 of 635 Posts

·
68,672 Posts
Keep in mind that some city and county parks are restricted to residents only. College Park is one example. You can't even be in the park if you are not a city resident.

·
Sledgehammer
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Really? Do they also have checkpoints at all roads going in to the city, so they can make sure nobody uses their roads that isn't a resident?

·
68,672 Posts
Todays AJC, Metro Section - Kennesaw bans smoking outdoors in its parks. Douglasville did the same back in July.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
The office closed early today so I did a trip through 6 "facilites" (what the local code calls all parks and sports complexes under city and county control) and I am positive you cannot smoke, but not a single one had a sign barring firearms.

Not to worry, I did it early enough that everywhere I went was empty and no sporting events were going on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Checked on Forsyth County and could only find comment about alchol. Didn't see anything about CCW.

Chapter 54 PARKS AND RECREATION*

State law references: State parks, O.C.G.A. § 12-3-1 et seq.; establishment of recreation systems, O.C.G.A. § 36-64-1 et seq.; recreation boards, O.C.G.A. § 36-64-5; Georgia State Games Commission, O.C.G.A. § 50-12-40 et seq.; authority to provide parks, recreation areas, programs and facilities, Ga. Const. art. IX, § II, ¶ III(a)(5).

Article I. In General
Secs. 54-1--54-30. Reserved.
Article II. Alcoholic Beverages Consumption
Sec. 54-31. Prohibited

·
68,672 Posts
At this point, the ok list is bigger than the not ok list, so the majority of cities and counties are in accordance with state law.

·
68,672 Posts
Clayton County:

Now, this is a curious ordinance:

Sec. 66-20. Firearms.
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, carry or use any firearm in a park unless otherwise specifically authorized by state law.

The Whitney and Jordan Land case should impress upon people that such an ordinance does not keep people safe in parks.

·
68,672 Posts
Hampton is tricky

I almost added it to the OK list, because this title prohibits only "discharge" of firearms, but the text of the ordinance does much more than that:

Sec. 58-16. Discharge of firearms.
It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any firearms of any description in any part of the city,
or have any firearm in his possession or under his control, within the confined area of a city park.

Clever, clever :twisted:

Of course, no definition of the "confined area of a city park" is given. Is that the whole park? Only the area where you are "confined"? Thank you oh masters of the vague and ambiguous.

·
68,672 Posts
I have continued on with this list, appearing on page one in the very first post, and I am happy to report that as I continue to update the list, I find less and less localities violating the preemption law (16-11-173). I picked out the most obvious candidates first, but, as I have researched other cities and counties, I find that most have not attempted to usurp state law in this matter.

Those of you who live in counties and cities that prohibit carrying firearms in parks, in spite of the state having preempted the field of firearms regulation, should pay attention to what your representatives are doing . . .

·
68,672 Posts
According to the Coweta County Commission Administration (person picking up the telephone), an ordinance prohibits the carry of firearms on county "recreation property" and "schools."

I will have to confirm this somewhere, although, frankly, I have no idea when I will have the time to actually go to Newnan to get a copy of the ordinances and review them.

It seems like a county that creates a web site ought to put its ordinances online . . . :x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pan Handle Park

A very dear friend of mine's 2 year old granddaughter and 22 year old daughter were car-jacked in Pan Handle Park back in 1999. They were both murdered by a maggot named Wesley Harris during the car jacking. There names are Whitney and Jordan Land. Harris obviously didnt care about the laws of carry but the same laws may have kept Whitney (the 22 year old) from carrying her firearm to the park, because she was a law abiding citizen and she may have been able to defend herself and her precious toddler daughter against this filth if these ridiculous park laws were not in place. These laws prevent law abiding citizens from carrying and being able to defend themselves, and do absolutely nothing to stop predators from carrying guns and operating in their favorite hunting grounds where the innocent dwell. Check out www.reconsearchandrescue.org when you get an opportunity. This is an organization I have started to help stop these predators and rescue children. We also get deep in efforts to defend the rights of victims, including the right for law abiding citizens to be able to bear arms to be able to defend themselves against predators without fear of prosecution.

·
68,672 Posts
Yes, that was the case I referred to above, on December 7. It is also my stock answer to people who ask, "Why would you want to carry in a park?" :? <--- Their face looks like that when they ask.

I know some other people give the same exact anwer.

I think it is important to remember their names, too. Jordan and Whitney Land.

Jordan

·
68,672 Posts
My wife likes to take my son to local parks to play. To think she is supposed to be defenseless while doing so really burns me up. We follow state law on this issue, not local ordinances, although we do so discretely.

·
68,672 Posts
Added Barrow County to the list, as they are now on Municode.

·
68,672 Posts
Advocate for victims gets award

By Andria Simmons
Staff Writer
[email protected]

LAWRENCEVILLE â€" It’s hard to believe something positive could come of the brutal murders of a daughter and granddaughter, but one woman’s personal tragedy has helped her become an advocate for victims’ rights in Georgia.
Sheila Howell, a woman known for speaking her mind during the death penalty trial of convicted killer Wesley Harris, was honored Thursday with the Gwinnett County Victim’s Voice Award.
Harris was convicted of murder in November in the shooting deaths of Howell’s 27-year-old daughter, Whitney Land, and 2-year-old granddaughter, Jordan. Harris abducted the pair from a park in Clayton County on Nov. 8, 1999, and drove them to Gwinnett, where he shot them, placed their bodies in the trunk and set it ablaze.
Despite the compelling evidence at trial, two jurors held out against the death penalty in the sentencing phase. Harris was sentenced by default to life in prison without parole.
Seeing her loved ones’ killer avoid the death penalty made the verdict seem hollow, Howell said.
“We were all so fried,†Howell said of her family members. “That was not the outcome we thought it would be. ... We were shocked.â€
Howell said she keeps in touch with three jurors who were equally disturbed by the sentence.
Outraged at what she believes to be a miscarriage of justice, Howell is lending her support to a bill introduced this year in the Georgia Legislature. The bill would change the law to require a supermajority of jury votes to secure a death penalty instead of a unanimous verdict.
Although the bill got stuck in a committee this year, Howell and Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter hope it will gain enough momentum to be passed next year. Porter said he can envision Howell leading the fight to change Georgia law regarding the death penalty.
Before handing her the award plaque, Porter praised Howell’s endurance through the six-year trial process fraught with delays and complications. He also applauded her tireless efforts to spur him on during the prosecution.
“Sometimes I didn’t want to hear her voice, but it was always an exhortation to make me do better,†Porter said. “We argued and we debated and we did a lot of things, but I saw a person who had been through an incredible loss and was moving toward a solution.â€

Please visit http://gwinnettdailypost.com :: gwinnettdailypost.com.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,150 Posts
Simple Solution

I can't see why most legislators in Georgia woudn't vote for a law that only seeks to disarm law-abiding citizens with pistol carry permits under the same conditions that criminals who have contempt for the law are similarly disarmed-- in secure or "sterile" areas of courthouses, airports, etc, where there are guards at every entrance and metal detectors and random inspections of bags and packages.

Who in their right mind would consider it a good situation where you just hang up a sign saying "no guns allowed-- under penalty of law" but then fail to actively enforce the law, thus allowing lawbreakers to ignore the law with impugnity while knowing that most good, decent people will obey the law, once they are made aware of it?

If it's not important enough of a location to put up metal detectors and armed guards, then it's not the kind of place that needs to be declared a "gun free zone" even as to law-abiding citizens with permits !!!

·
68,672 Posts
Gunsmoker, I would like to see the law in Georgia be like you have stated, with one change, and that is that where the "sterile" area begins, at the metal detector, there should be a locker to place your gun securely until you return.

There would not even be a need for anybody else to handle it. When I was a police officer, and I would testify in Fulton County's Courthouse, I would walk over to the left and the lady would hand me a card with the locker number on it. She would unlock the drawer (nice, felt-lined storage so no scratches on the gun), and I would draw and place the gun inside. She would lock it, and I would go in. When I finished testifying I would return, show her the card, and retrieve my firearm, smile, and wish her a nice day on my way out. It was pretty painless.

By the way, with the singular exception of schools, this is the law in Colorado, a much more liberal state than Georgia.

There is a great read on how a local organization in Colorado accomplished this in the links on the Colorado page over at packing.org. It was quite a fight.

21 - 40 of 635 Posts