Citizens on Patrol! Not really but close

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Sorry had to put the pun in the subject line. I just thought of the movie when I read this.

Police have extra eyes and ears in Duluth
    By BILL ALLEN | Tuesday, March 6, 2007, 04:54 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I was reading the other day about the graduation of the first Duluth Citizen Police Academy. This is a group of volunteers who trained with the police to learn what officers do and how they can be of assistance.
    . They learned about the laws of arrest, use of force, gangs, crime scene investigations, domestic violence and other topics. They rode with Duluth Police officers on patrol and learned about a firearms training simulator system.

The academy is a pretty neat idea.

I have seen signs at different subdivisions advertising a community watch program. The signs warn people that the neighbors were watching and that they’ll call police if they see something suspicious. Most signs I’ve seen were outside the city limits and involved only county police.

The academy is the first time I’ve heard of people working directly with the city police. I was pleased to see my neighbors getting involved in my community.

There are a lot of apartment complexes and subdivisions in Duluth. Businesses and shopping areas continue to expand and flourish as our community grows. This means that the duties of our police department increase with the population. Traffic, domestic disturbances, violent and nonviolent crimes also increase with the rise of residential and commercial property.

The academy provides members of the community with an opportunity to assist those who protect our well-being. They are our neighbors, after all, and they have an interest in making our communities safe for the rest of us.

These people volunteer their time to help ensure that our families and our property are safe. They will help make sure that our laws are enforced, that the people in uniform who are hired to protect us maintain a dialogue with the community, and that our family members have someone watching out for them.

I hope this program has a lot of success. It’s nice to see people getting actively involved in our safety and our well-being.

Children will be safer in the streets when they play and when they go out to trick-or-treat on Halloween. We will be able to rest easier when we put our cars in our garages or when we have to go out of town on vacation.

Most importantly, there will be fewer opportunities for people to say, “where are the police when you need them?†because the police’s extra eyes and ears could belong to your next-door neighbors.

I wish these volunteers good luck in their endeavor.

Does your community have a citizen police academy?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

meh.

I'll take a few men with a rifle or shotgun each over suburbanites armed with a cell phone.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You could blend the two.....

"Citizen Officers" with cell phones and GFLs. :righton:

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just wait till one of these suburbanites gets an eyeful of you open carrying!

:lol:

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I imagine it is against the rules to carry while doing this.

They aren't observant enough. I could wear a neon shirt that says "GUN" in bright orange letters with an arrow pointing to my hip and I think most people would not catch it.

"DOOD! you see that guys gun?!"
    "Gun? what gun? Who has a gun? I didn't see any guns."

:D

6. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Pretty sad but true how most won't even catch it. However the one person that does, Soccer Mom, will probably act like the end of the world has come and you are endangering her kiddies. Which is also the first one to scream for help when somebody "steals" her parking space.

I know in Buford and Suwanee we have loads and loads of them. But with the same token lots and lots of us up here have and carry firearms ;)

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

The area my parents live in is soccer mom central. Surprisingly, not once has anyone gone nuts over seeing it, but I mostly attribute that to them just not noticing.

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Alpharetta has a "reserve officer" program, but the training requirements pretty much limit it to former and retired LEOs.

They also have a ride-along program. I've thought about doing that, but I've been told the ride-alongs can't carry...

9. jason1

jason1 New Member

Rammstein wrote
    They aren't observant enough. I could wear a neon shirt that says "GUN" in bright orange letters with an arrow pointing to my hip and I think most people would not catch it.

"DOOD! you see that guys gun?!"
    "Gun? what gun? Who has a gun? I didn't see any guns."

Rammstein,
    How about using two these holsters on both of your hips http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4307 for open carry of your Glocks.All the soccer moms would love you walking in North Point Mall :lol: :shoot: The soccer moms would see you a mile away.
    Just joking :lol:

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It would almost be worth it to watch the hysteria.

But I am almost certain wearing that to North Point would end up with me face down on the ground and a temporary set of shiny bracelets.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

How about someone walkin gthrough N. Point Mall with an "evil black rifle" slung over their shoulder?

Talk about hysteric soccer moms ! :shock: