Citizen traffic complaints

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Clark, May 25, 2017.

1. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

So I've had three incidents over the past few weeks where I've made safe and legal maneuvers, or emergency meneuvers in traffic that someone else hasn't liked, and then vocally shown their displeasure. All three have subsequently written something down or done something with their phones. How much trouble could someone realistically make for me if they reported me to the police and made up a story about how I cut them off or was driving badly or even worse, pointed a gun at them (which I can assure you I didn't, and wouldn't)? What if they have a dash cam and it doesn't show the whole story, but enough to make it look bad? (i.e. In one a year or so ago where I thought about this kind of thing, I did have to slam on my brakes and swerve, but that was to avoid a vehicle crossing head-on into my lane that wouldn't be shown on camera).

Thanks

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

O.C.G.A. 17-4-20 (2010) Authorization of arrests with and without warrants generally; use of deadly force; adoption or promulgation of conflicting regulations, policies, ordinances, and resolutions; authority of nuclear power facility security officer

(a) An arrest for a crime may be made by a law enforcement officer either under a warrant or without a warrant if the offense is committed in such officer's presence or within such officer's immediate knowledge;​

>>Not a Lawyer; never played one on TV, but there was that one time in band camp... <<
    Would any responding officer have such knowledge?
    Is Mr Citizen willing to go before a magistrate and swear out a complaint?
    Is Mr Citizen willing to devote time for an arraignment?
    Is Mr Citizen willing to testify in court that he saw you?
    Would his testimony, without any further corroboration be sufficient to persuade a judge that you committed a traffic infraction?

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Relax. Thats just the leftovers from obummer having the govt watch you. Hopefully Rand Paul will be able to get some reductions on that. So you will only be watched one day a month.

Nemo

4. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

With our 40 code, which is the traffic code, it pretty much has to be witnessed by a LEO for a citation to be issued. There are a few exceptions like a wreck or a wreck resulting from a DUI, or red light cams, but for what you're talking about a LEO would need to witness it to do anything about it.

Pro tip: Quit driving like an idiot and you won't have that problem.

5. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

felony

QUOTE: " ... or even worse, pointed a gun at them (which I can assure you I didn't, and wouldn't)?"

That lie, about you pointing a gun, would make it easy for the cops to arrest you.

If the story is plausible, partly corroborated by you admitting you had some kind of driving near-miss or abrupt maneuver around that guy in traffic, and partly confirmed by the other guy showing pics or video of you (which shows the offended "victim" knew which car was the offending car, and you are the driver of it), and you admit to possessing a gun during the encounter...

... that would be enough for probable cause.

The cop can arrest you based primarily on the other guy's bare assertion that you pointed your gun at him.

(Even if the other guy never saw your gun, and only "guessed" that you may have one based on all those gun company stickers and gun-rights-group stickers on your vehicle's back glass.)

6. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I once had a cop pull me over after someone showed him a dash-cam video. I was up in the mountains and passed someone who took offense at that. The cop was reasonable and just asked me not to do that again. I suppose the fact I was across the state line in North Carolina when I actually passed the guy might have had something to do with him not pushing the issue.

7. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

It's stuff like this which makes an excellent argument to having your own dash camera to refute claims by other drivers.

Not to mention all the road raging morons who may pull a gun, baseball bat, etc. on you for a real or perceived slight against them. Should you have to run them over or even shoot them from within your vehicle, you've got evidence to corroborate your story.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If this happens so often then perhaps it's your driving that should be in question. I can't say that I've had 3 incidents in the last 47 years and you have had 3 in a few weeks??? Maybe taking a defensive driving course would be of some value?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Pushing the issue of what? Passing? There must be a little more to the story.

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

From the context, it might be that the offense occurred outside the officer's jurisdiction (state line wise). I admit it's a bit confusing as it's not exactly stated.

11. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

I can't say I'd fault the OP for these incidents, without knowing specifics. There's been some periods I've had a few incidents in a short time due to other drivers being idiots.

Folks running stop signs/red lights (light was red at least 5 seconds), not looking before merging or even crossing in to my lane (oncoming) because they're fiddling with their phone. And I don't live in/near Atlanta, though I would argue the drivers around my area can be worse.

12. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

He explained to me that the road does not actually have passing zones and the locals take it badly when you take advantage of a straight section and pass. I really couldn't tell as the stripes were faded to the point of illegibility.

13. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I have people yelling and honking at me all the time....................for doing the speed limit on the residential street that I live on.

14. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

100% concurrence

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why? Is the entire street a double yellow line no passing zone? Why do they not just pass you?