Citation: expired tag, DeKalb Co.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by moga, Oct 30, 2007.

1. moga

moga New Member

Last month, my wife and I took the day off to run some errands, which included paying her ad valorem tax to the county. On the way to the north annex, I was lit up. I had no clue why, because I certainly wasn't speeding, and I am a very careful driver. To both our surprise, the Sept tag on her sedan expires on the birthday of the registration holder, which isn't what we expected. You see, in the other states in which we've lived, your registration expires on the last day of the month that's indicated on the sticker. No problem, oversight on our part, moga is guilty as charged. I get my ticket and proceeded up to the DDS office to pay our dues.

Well, I just got around to paying the fine, as the court date is rapidly closing. I damn near died from the sticker shock when I discovered the amount of the ticket: $198.00 incl. processing fee. :shock: I feel violated after paying such a fine for a matter as insignificant as that. Especially since I noticed numerous instances of people driving with 2006 tags that day after I got lit up. Why did they have to choose me to price gouge??

There goes the handgun acquisition I had in mind for this month.

Neither NY or MA has anything on GA when it comes to severity of traffic fines. I thought the north was bad...

So if there are any other new citizens of GA, this is meant to be the warning I wish I had.

2. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

:shock: I thought it was at the end of the month also....my birthday is next week.

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Just get you a piece of card board and write on it with a marker- "Tag Applied For" or "Lost Tag". Apparently that is legal.

4. moga

moga New Member

It doesn't even need to be legible. Apparently you can scribble some gibberish on a card board and stick it where the plate should be and your all set.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:lol:

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

How would he know your birthday had already passed to pull you over? I also thought it was the last day of the birthday month. It's not like your actual b-day is on the sticker.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

8. moga

moga New Member

Apparently they ran our tag because it was the month in which it expired.

DeKalb PD had many motorists pulled over on the stretch of road where they got me. I think they were a part of a larger campaign. I don't know whether they targeted stickers specifically, but they sure were out in force.

9. VolGrad

I was looking for the "official answer" but the state website was apparently down. I did find this and found it particularly interesting, although not completely applicable. I had never heard of this.

10. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

It works, My room mate did it for like 3 or 4 years, just replaced it when it was too shabby looking. it also helped him breeze through toll booths without fear of having his tag photographed

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Bulloch and Gwinnett are both annual, I do believe.

12. VolGrad

I don't think it legal. I think that was good luck on your roommates part. I went on a ride along with a local PD one time and saw one of those. I asked the officer if they were legal. He said "no" and pulled him over to check the registration. He ended up with a DUI arrest.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Really? :? Why not? :lol:

14. GunNut

GunNut New Member

What if you throw a couple of ladders on the roof or some rakes and lawn mowers in the back? :D

15. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

A vehicle must have a tag or thirty day drive-out dealer tag. My old roommate drove around with Carl Gregory tag for 3 years till the state started mandating drive out tags with expiration dates.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The laughing face means I was kidding . . . :wink: