Church Property

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by XLInfidel, Oct 31, 2014.

1. XLInfidel

XLInfidel New Member

Tonight we'll be taking the kids to an event where they'll be playing games, winning prizes, playing on inflatables, etc. The event is located on a nearby church property in their parking lot and around the exterior grounds. Does the current church prohibition apply to this situation? Or only inside of a church building?

2. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Ad at the bottom:
    #1 XLInfidel

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Church Property
    Tonight we'll be taking the kids to an event where they'll be playing games, winning prizes, playing on inflatables, etc. The event is located on a nearby church property in their parking lot and around the exterior grounds. Does the current church prohibition apply to this situation? Or only inside of a church building?

ℼ潤瑣灹⁥瑨汭㰾瑨汭㰾敨摡㰾瑳汹㹥ℼⴭ愊氺湩⁻潣潬㩲⌠〰〰〰素㩡楶楳整⁤⁻潣潬㩲⌠〰〰〰素㩡潨敶⁲⁻潣潬㩲⌠〰〰〰素㩡捡楴敶笠挠汯牯›〣〰〰‰⁽ⴠ㸭⼼瑳汹㹥猼牣灩㹴ℼⴭ⠊畦据楴湯⤨登牡搠琽楨ⱳ㵦畦据楴湯愨笩慶⁲㵢祴数景愠

3. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member

Not a lawyer, but the code specifically says the carrying of weapons is prohibited "In a place of worship, unless the governing body or authority of the place of worship permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders." All the interpretations that I have seen, and it also seems plainly worded to me, indicates that would mean in the church building itself. Outside the building, then normal trespass rules apply.

4. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

The law was changed years ago; it formerly forbid carrying "to" a church, but now it says "in" a place if worship.
    The "to" language meant even public streets and distant parking areas were off limits if they were within walking distance.
    Now the "at a church" new provisions are less restrictive and apply in a more specific area.

If the General Assembly wanted to ban weapons from church grounds, or from a 150-foot zone around the church, the legislature knew how to put that in writing because they did it that way for some other gun free locations.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

34DDB675-7C49-4663-90AD-0BE90E3B8B1C.jpeg The OP in 2014 was asking about carry outdoors on church grounds.

Now I'd like to ask about inside a building on a church that is not used for worship services, but is instead used for athletics, food service,or seminars and lectures on secular topics.

My real-life example involves a Catholic church that holds a fish fry dinner every Friday during Lent, and said meal is open to the public, does not involve any prayers, praise, or sermon, and is served on folding tables and chairs set up in the gym's basketball court area.

Is that a "place of worship" under Code section 16-1-127?

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Is it on consecrated ground?

7. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

The local Knights of Columbus on Albany hosts a coin show every year. Most of the coin dealers are armed. There is also an off duty cop there. Doesn't the K of C belong to the Catholic Church?

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

No. It is separate from the Church. It is an org of practicing male Catholics. Although in this day it may be unisex now.

9. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Thanks Weghe. I wondered about that.