Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a church near the Snellville, Lilburn, Lawrenceville. Grayson, or Loganville area.

#1 priority is doctrine - Trinity, Born again by faith alone in Christ, Eternal Security

#2 is Opted into HB 60

Prefer Independent Baptist or Independent non-denominational.

Traditional or "modern" music ok, just nothing LOUD or rocking out.

Any suggestions? :)

Note: If you don't want to blab it on the open forum, please PM me. If you tell me not to blab it I won't. Thanks!

·
68,484 Posts
#1 priority is doctrine - Trinity, Born again by faith alone in Christ, Eternal Security
. . .

Traditional or "modern" music ok, just nothing LOUD or rocking out.
The suggestions I would make would refute such false dogmas as "faith alone" and "Eternal Security," would not support unscriptural worship, such as using musical instruments, would not bear manmade names, and would instead teach scripture and Christianity and conduct worship the way it was believed and practiced in the first century, as God authorized and commanded, without all of these manmade traditions and innovations. As a result, I do not believe that I can make any suggestions that you would actually appreciate.

If your interest is ever in doing what is pleasing to God, instead of to men and their traditions, let me know, and I will be happy to make some suggestions in your geographic area.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MP, I appreciate your candor. I have been saved by the blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and my works have nothing to do with me getting entrance into the Kingdom of God. I will be judged by my works with regard to my reward there.

I know that I am saved, and Who I belong to.

The suggestions I would make would refute such false dogmas as "faith alone" and "Eternal Security," would not support unscriptural worship, such as using musical instruments, would not bear manmade names, and would instead teach scripture and Christianity and conduct worship the way it was believed and practiced in the first century, as God authorized and commanded, without all of these manmade traditions and innovations. As a result, I do not believe that I can make any suggestions that you would actually appreciate.

If your interest is ever in doing what is pleasing to God, instead of to men and their traditions, let me know, and I will be happy to make some suggestions in your geographic area.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It sounds like you and MP won't be going to the same church.

I'm not trying to take this off topic but out of curiousity how can a Baptist church be independent? I thought if you were Baptist church then you are part of the denomination or the association. I didn't think that a church could be claim to be Baptist independently.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Baptist is not trademarked.

·
68,484 Posts
Thanks MP, I appreciate your candor. I have been saved by the blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and my works have nothing to do with me getting entrance into the Kingdom of God. I will be judged by my works with regard to my reward there.

I know that I am saved, and Who I belong to.
The door is always open if you want to discuss it further. I'll leave your thread alone without further invitation.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're always welcome to post anything you want in any of my threads.

The door is always open if you want to discuss it further. I'll leave your thread alone without further invitation.

·
Registered
304 Posts

I'm a lifelong member of the church of Christ as well. :)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
exactly what is wrong with musical instruments ?
I have been contemplating this question and my answer is, nothing. There is nothing inherently wrong, evil, etc with musical instruments but rather what man does with them.

For example, the church to which I belong uses instruments. While I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, the person that is our interim music director often times puts on a show. It comes across as more a concert than worship. We have had people walk out because it was too loud. As a comparison, the family went to see NewsBoys in concert, it was similar to our church's current worship style.

The instruments are not doing this but rather mans corruption. Of course my judging is just as bad.

·
68,484 Posts
I have been contemplating this question and my answer is, nothing. There is nothing inherently wrong, evil, etc with musical instruments but rather what man does with them.

For example, the church to which I belong uses instruments. While I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, the person that is our interim music director often times puts on a show. It comes across as more a concert than worship. We have had people walk out because it was too loud. As a comparison, the family went to see NewsBoys in concert, it was similar to our church's current worship style.

The instruments are not doing this but rather mans corruption. Of course my judging is just as bad.
The issue is whether God has commanded or authorized musical instruments in Christian worship, that is, if you care about what God has commanded or authorized (I realize most religious people do not really care, so this post is not aimed at them).

The nephews of Moses tried to worship God in a manner that he had not commanded. Scripture does not claim that they were told not to (forbidden). It was sufficient that God commanded a form of worship. The nephews of Moses instead devised their own worship.

Was God pleased?

"Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. And fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord."

No, he was not pleased.

Do we think God is different today, that he will be pleased by worship he has not authorized, when he has commanded Christians to worship in a certain way, but they do what is pleasing in their own sight instead, and justify it with, "I see nothing wrong with it."

What did God speak about the nephews of Moses after the event, to instruct Aaron, their father, the high priest, so that he could instruct the people about this event?

"By those who come near Me I will be treated as holy,
And before all the people I will be honored."

In other words, offering worship that God has not commanded does not treat him as holy (exalted or worthy of complete devotion) and does not honor him before the people.

This incident with the nephews of Moses was written for our learning, recorded and preserved through God's providence for thousands of years so that you can read it and learn from it today.

"For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction . . . "

What is the "instruction" that it gives?

Answer: To treat God as holy and to honor him, worship in the way he has commanded only.

Claiming that your favorite practice of innovative worship, whatever it is, is not "forbidden" is not sufficient to justify the practice. God will be treated as holy by those who come near him.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,094 Posts
instruction

where is the instruction from God on the correct way to worship Him?

If it is from the Old Testament, then should it not include offerings and sacrifices?
Ritual slaughter of a fatted calf, healthy and without blemish?

If God's instruction for worship is to sing, why would we assume it means a capella with voices alone? Singing and music go together.

When the Old Testament commands that a person who touches something "unclean" shall clean himself WITH WATER, does that mean ONLY WATER, such that you would be offending God and substituting your own man-made rituals for the divinely commanded ones by using both water AND SOAP?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The issue is whether God has commanded or authorized musical instruments in Christian worship, that is, if you care about what God has commanded or authorized (I realize most religious people do not really care, so this post is not aimed at them).

The nephews of Moses tried to worship God in a manner that he had not commanded. Scripture does not claim that they were told not to (forbidden). It was sufficient that God commanded a form of worship. The nephews of Moses instead devised their own worship.

Was God pleased?

"Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. And fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord."

No, he was not pleased.

Do we think God is different today, that he will be pleased by worship he has not authorized, when he has commanded Christians to worship in a certain way, but they do what is pleasing in their own sight instead, and justify it with, "I see nothing wrong with it."

What did God speak about the nephews of Moses after the event, to instruct Aaron, their father, the high priest, so that he could instruct the people about this event?

In other words, offering worship that God has not commanded does not treat him as holy (exalted or worthy of complete devotion) and does not honor him before the people.

This incident with the nephews of Moses was written for our learning, recorded and preserved through God's providence for thousands of years so that you can read it and learn from it today.

"For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction . . . "

Answer: To treat God as holy and to honor him, worship in the way he has commanded only.

Claiming that your favorite practice of innovative worship, whatever it is, is not "forbidden" is not sufficient to justify the practice. God will be treated as holy by those who come near him.
Ok what is up with MP???

Psalm 150:5-6New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise [a]the Lord.
Praise [c]the Lord!

Now back on topic... I would also like a list of churches in my area that on board with HB60. I live in Newnan and our local government will throw you butt in jail AS A MATTER OF FACT THEY TREAT IT LIKE YOU ARE A FREAKIN TERRORIST if you try to practice your legal right to carry on campus. Therefore I want to make sure my church is on board too.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Was God pleased?

No, he was not pleased.

So do you not believe Psalms is part of the Bible or do we just ignore what is stated there?

Psalm 150:1-6King James Version (KJV)

150 Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Musical instruments! Try 1 Chron 23:5, 1 Chron 25:1-8, and 2 Kings 3-5.
Worship is in the heart. Don't get bogged down by the little things, it's all about the big thing.
I sincerely hope you can find a place you are confortable worshiping at. It's difficult enough to find that place and finding one you can legally carry in even more. Were fortunate that we found that place about ten minutes from home in North Carolina.:grin:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ok back to guns.... Where can we legally carry (in churches) in Georgia??? We need a list of pro gun churches as this is important. We also need to know if cops are going to ignore HB60 in churches just as they are in schools!

If you are on this site and go to church it is your responsibility to approach your pastor and or church board, find out the answer to this question and report back to us. This stuff is IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

·
68,484 Posts
where is the instruction from God on the correct way to worship Him?
Have you bothered looking? Do you really (I mean really) care about the answer? As in respond like Josiah did to the re-discovery of God's will?

Ok what is up with MP???

Psalm 150:5-6New American Standard Bible (NASB)

5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise [a]the Lord.
Praise [c]the Lord!

Is a new testament Christian's worship authorized by instructions and examples coming from under the old covenant? This is a serious question. Think about the consequences of your answer before firing off a response.

So do you not believe Psalms is part of the Bible or do we just ignore what is stated there?
Have you, along with Meldred, ever considered what instructions and authority God has given to Christians on how he desires to be worshiped, and whether those instructions and examples are provided under the old or new covenants? If not, perhaps you should take a little time to examine this issue.

Musical instruments! Try 1 Chron 23:5, 1 Chron 25:1-8, and 2 Kings 3-5.
Worship is in the heart. Don't get bogged down by the little things, it's all about the big thing.
I see that turning to the old testament in the hope of finding something to justify your practice is contagious. If this is a little thing, offering unauthorized worship before the Lord (and the example I gave of Moses's nephews would indicate it is not such a "little thing" to God, in spite of you in your human wisdom declaring it so), then are the "faith alone" and "Eternal Security" portions of the original post perhaps "big things" in your eyes?

Does declaring worship to be "in the heart" mean that we can do whatever we want, and God will be pleased, even if he has told us what he wants, and we offer something else that he "had not commanded," as Moses put it?

I find it very odd that nobody took issue with the "false dogma" part of my quote, considering most of you belong to religions that teach such false doctrine as basic foundational principles. Instead everybody begins jumping on just this one very visible thing that you do on Sunday morning, which, let's face it, you never seriously considered before, and have not yet seriously considered, judging by the responses so far. I find this odd because you are taught that such issues are "little things" (I knew that phrasing would appear) as a dismissive gesture, and yet you are taught that these other two issues are crucial even to your salvation.

And yet everybody piles on to what they view as the "little thing" while ignoring the issues central to their faiths. Interesting. Pretend it is a little thing, but post a whole page about it.

·
68,484 Posts
PS - I am not making fun of or otherwise being rude to anybody posting here. I realize you are taught these things and are repeating what you are taught. I hope my tone does not come off as sarcastic, as it is not intended that way. The questions are intended to provoke consideration of your own decisions and learning on these issues, nothing more.

I am just hoping that with scripture I can get you to think on your own and do some of your own examination of the scripture, much the same as I have done over the years here with Georgia's gun laws. I have always insisted, usually through questions, on a person doing some of their own work and coming to their own conclusion. Most of you have been here long enough to know that this is just my way.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts