Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just couldn't take it. I got a good deal on a 28" barrel for my Mossberg 500 and plan to use it for skeet and trap. The barrel comes with a modified choke, and I'd like to pick up a full and skeet tubes as well.

CDNN has a set of chokes for $30. Will these be fine, or will they suck and / or get beat up in short order? Mossberg and most other branded chokes go for around $22 per tube; are these worth the higher cost?

Taking this one step further, should I skip the cheap and Mossberg tubes and go for something more expensive?

I'm way out of my depth here. I know next to nothing about this stuff (and sporting clays in general), so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,646 Posts
I would think that the cheap chokes would be just fine. We're not talking about a $5k Over/Under - going with expensive chokes for a Mossberg is like putting $5k gold rims on a 1993 Oldsmobile.

Whatever you decide, pattern your chokes at a known distance so you'll have an idea of what you want to use for a given station.

And be sure you get the right ones - the ones you linked are for original Invector chokes. Mossberg uses Accu-Choke, as far as I know...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that the cheap chokes would be just fine. We're not talking about a $5k Over/Under - going with expensive chokes for a Mossberg is like putting $5k gold rims on a 1993 Oldsmobile.

Whatever you decide, pattern your chokes at a known distance so you'll have an idea of what you want to use for a given station.

And be sure you get the right ones - the ones you linked are for original Invector chokes. Mossberg uses Accu-Choke, as far as I know...
:lol:
Yeah, that's my thinking as well, but I don't know what I don't know, so I thought I should ask.

Everything I've read says the Mossbergs are compatible with the Invector chokes. I'll go back and redo my research and make sure it's correct.

Thanks!

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,646 Posts
Invector tubes may work, I just did a quick search on Mossberg Choke Tubes. The Invector design is used by several manufacturers, Mossberg may be one.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,438 Posts
My Mossberg 500 came with a set of 3 choke tubes. They're very short-- only about 2" long.

They do not work the way they should. The "full" choke actually throws wide patterns more consistent with a "modified" choke. The "modified" choke is what I use when I really want improved-cylinder performance for Skeet and other games where I'm trying break moving clays at fairly close range of 20 yards or so.

I think they're OK if you know how they work in your gun with your favorite loads, EXCEPT when you want true "FULL CHOKE" patterns. Then you'll need to buy an aftermarket choke. I would not use my shotgun for waterfowl or turkey hunting with my "full" choke tube. I'd get a better one-- probably a longer one that extends beyond the muzzle a couple of inches.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know.
I don't really know what types of distances are involved yet, having taken only a brief look at the clays area. It's not an official play field (?), just a couple of throwers and a shooting platform out in a clearing. Once I go back and take a few measurements I'll be able to do some patterning and figure out how well everything works (if at all...).

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts