chinese sks

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fox, Nov 4, 2010.

1. fox

fox Member

I found an unissued chinese sks in a shop today. All numbers match and it' in great condition. However, the bayonet is missing. Is $300 a decent price?

2. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Not a bad price for chinese all matching.

Bayonets were removed when being imported after the assault weapons ban in 89 to put it back on you'd need to be 922(r) compliant.

3. fox

fox Member

How do I become 922(r) compliant? They had others with composite stocks with bayonets attached. Is it illegal to own one with the bayonet or can it just not be attached?

4. Pandashire

Pandashire New Member

Only 10 parts on it can be imported. The rest have to be made in the USA.

5. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

For $300, you won't regret it. My SKS is my favorite rifle.

6. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Illegal to own and not installed. No. But. They(batfe) could use "intent" same as having F/A parts and an AR rifle.

The above post is correct about 922(r) parts compliance. You'll have to find the US made parts to make it legal, or not worry about it. Not like you'll use it anyway. I never open the bayonet on my SKS's.

7. fox

fox Member

Ok so let me make sure I've got this right. I can own an sks and have the bayonet attached, just not in the deployed position?

Regardless of the bayonet issue, I'm wishing I had put it on layaway now. I'm going to have to get back over there ASAP.

8. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

The bayonet also holds the cleaning rod in place. Is the cleaning rod missing?

9. ed4

ed4 Active Member

No it can not be attached to be legal.

Personally what are the chances you'll have it out? If you don't plan to have it out don't worry about the parts count and don't mount it.

10. fox

fox Member

You know, I don't recall seeing the cleaning rod, but rest of the kit was in the buttstock.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Watch your fingers when messing with the kit in the stock.

12. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

This ^^^

When the heck are you actually going to use a bayonet anyways?

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

14. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Yes because you're altering the way the rifle was imported. The removed the bayonet to be legal to be imported, you reinstalling the bayonet makes it an illegally imported weapon. To avoid that you have to replace parts and get the parts count(number of imported parts on BATFE's list) down to 10 or less.