Child shot by accident...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by pro2am, Aug 20, 2006.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Not really a CCW story, but involves a citizen with a gun nonetheless.

I don't know what to say. There are a number of things wrong with this...and all of them are the homeowners problems.

http://www.reflector.com/local/content/ ... _shot.html

Deputy:Shooting was an accident
    Parents thought child was prowler

By Corey G. Johnson
    The Daily Reflector

Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Thursday night shooting of a 9-year-old girl was an accident, and no criminal charges are being filed, a Pitt County Sheriff's investigator said.

Chief of Investigations Lee Moore said that Lendra Haddock and his wife, Tomika, who live along Pocosin Road, were awakened around 11:45 p.m. by what they thought was a prowler in the room. When his wife screamed in fear, Haddock said he grabbed a .40-caliber firearm from underneath a pillow. He said he fired two rounds at a dark silhouette in the room. That silhouette was Haddock's stepdaughter, she was struck once in the stomach, Moore said.

He would not identify the girl, citing departmental policy. He said she was still in critical condition at Pitt County Memorial Hospital Friday afternoon.

Charges will not be filed against Haddock, 31.

"This looks to be a tragic accident," Moore said.

2. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

That's why I have a Tac light on my home defense weapon. Identify your attacker then put em down if necessary.

3. merlock

merlock New Member

We keep low-level lighting on all night long, just for this reason.

Even with home invasions on the rise, it still serves as a small deterrent to the BG's.

4. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Always identify your target. I keep a Surefire next to my pistol in the house. I'm not a big fan of tac lights simply because I believe you shouldn't point your pistol at anything you don't intend to destroy. Just a personal preference...

5. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

And am I the only one that thinks keeping a gun "under your pillow" is a terrible idea in the first place?

Good Lord!

6. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Well depending on what condition you keep it in... it could be a bad thing. If you kept it in Condition 3 Mag inserted with no round in chamber, then it can't possibly hurt you without racking it. And if you always keep it in 3 and practice muscle memory when you wake up to a disturbance put it in Condition 1... I wouldn't see a problem with that.

But yes a Conditon 1 pistol like a Glock would be a bad thing if under the pillow.

However I believe we all can agree on identifying the possible target before comiting to putting rounds down range. That's one thing you can't take back.

jmorin- I am a fan of the tac light simply because when you grab the pistol you don't have to grab another thing. It's one quick movement with one hand. No fumbling around looking for a light in the drawer or else where.