Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say let him die, what has the world come to???

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14348495/detail.html

Lanny Perry Barnes admitted running down two women and three children in a McDonald's parking lot in Covington 17 months ago, killing a two-year-old.

On Monday he was sentenced to life in prison.

The 47-year-old Barnes suffers from leukemia and is due soon for a bone marrow transplant.

Taxpayers will pay for the procedure.

Police said the Barnes' car struck the five, hit the restaurant, then backed up and hit the victims again. Witnesses said they saw Barnes laughing behind the wheel.

Avery Nicole King of North Carolina died of her injuries. Her mother, Anita King, and Covington residents Stephanie Casola and her two sons, Isaac and Jake, recovered from their injuries.

At the time of the incident, Barnes' mother said her son had suffered depression for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,313 Posts
Why do we do this? The legal scholars are going to have to chime in on why we can not legally, or ethically *not* pay / provide these sort of treatments to prisoner serving life... (presuming he's serving life)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,520 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Barnes' car struck the five, hit the restaurant, then backed up and hit the victims again. Witnesses said they saw Barnes laughing behind the wheel.
Anybody not carry when at McDonalds?
I wonder if I was there if I would even recognize that as an assault rather than just a bad accident until after the fact. But it does bring up a good question about defending yourself against vahicular assault. Has anyone been involved or have case history of something involving a GFL vs automobile? I hear about LEOs open fire on moving vehicles all the time during a stop or chase but not a civilian.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
69,784 Posts
blind_shake said:
I wonder if I was there if I would even recognize that as an assault rather than just a bad accident until after the fact. But it does bring up a good question about defending yourself against vahicular assault.
The maniacal laughing and running them over a second time might be a good clue.

Has anyone been involved or have case history of something involving a GFL vs automobile? I hear about LEOs open fire on moving vehicles all the time during a stop or chase but not a civilian.
No, but the guy in the red pickup who was attacking Jews walking to synagogue in Alpharetta would have been a good candidate (if Georgia did not have laws disarming Jews walking to synagogue).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
budder said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Barnes' car struck the five, hit the restaurant, then backed up and hit the victims again. Witnesses said they saw Barnes laughing behind the wheel.
Anybody not carry when at McDonalds?
I make sure to OC if I ever go to McDonalds.
Just curious, but why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
dwalker said:
budder said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Barnes' car struck the five, hit the restaurant, then backed up and hit the victims again. Witnesses said they saw Barnes laughing behind the wheel.
Anybody not carry when at McDonalds?
I make sure to OC if I ever go to McDonalds.
Just curious, but why?
He's probably referring to the case law here. It's so clear-cut that you can't say McDonald's is a public gathering. There's a difference between a public gathering and public place. Hope that clears it up, as that is what I think he meant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,520 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="blind_shake":3pxa87e5]I wonder if I was there if I would even recognize that as an assault rather than just a bad accident until after the fact. But it does bring up a good question about defending yourself against vahicular assault.
The maniacal laughing and running them over a second time might be a good clue.[/quote:3pxa87e5]

I guess I didn't get to read the original article to get the details on what happened.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
dwalker said:
budder said:
I make sure to OC if I ever go to McDonalds.
Just curious, but why?
Because he is a fanatic.
Pretty much. If I'm going to places of dubious PG status (read: I think it's legal, but the judge probably will not- woo for Fulton), I usually conceal. I OC almost all the time in places like McDonalds or the grocery store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ptsmith24 said:
dwalker said:
budder said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Barnes' car struck the five, hit the restaurant, then backed up and hit the victims again. Witnesses said they saw Barnes laughing behind the wheel.
Anybody not carry when at McDonalds?
I make sure to OC if I ever go to McDonalds.
Just curious, but why?
He's probably referring to the case law here. It's so clear-cut that you can't say McDonald's is a public gathering. There's a difference between a public gathering and public place. Hope that clears it up, as that is what I think he meant.
Ok, makes sense!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top