Chief of Police Ernest V. Mendoza end of watch

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by legacy38, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

The driver had four previous DUI convictions.

I just dont get this.........................

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

DUI traffic deaths are socially accepted homicides.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Not in my book. I dont know the details of this accident, but 4 convictions? I wonder if he even had a license. I wonder if he was driving without one.

We all have had friends and loved ones killed by a DUI driver. No excuse for it. Almost every restaurant or bar I have gone in has FREE cabs for people!

Just my opinion.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I don't understand why DUI is a misdemeanor and those convicted of it just get mild slaps on the wrist. Unfortunately, the politicos and society seem to be willing to let it slide.

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I was in a courtroom in MD and watched a judge let a man walk out after placing his 7th DUI conviction on his record.

The ASA muttered something under his breath to the effect of "thank God he was on the docket early as he won't be anywhere around here when it's time for me to leave."

The judge handed the ASA his head after that, but Mr. 7-timer walked out convicted with a fine to pay.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I personally have never arrested an underager for DUI did not go over .08 BAC. I don't recall any of my co-workers making one either, but I don't see the paperwork on every arrest.

I also don't think that an underager should be convicted for DUI by any lesser standard than the same as would apply for any driver.

I could see DUI asa misdemeanor with some teeth such as a mandatory jail time of enough consecutive days to get someone's attention. I've seen many, many times where people even on their second offense get 48 hours with credit for time served while waiting to get bonded out from the arrest. They show up on Friday after work or school and are out in time to be back to normal by Monday morning. Something like 15 days mandatory consecutive on the first offense conviction coupled with license suspension for a year. The mandatory time in jail could be bumped to 30 days if a wreck is involved (with the DUI driver being at fault) and something like 45 days with injuries (again if the DUI driver is at fault in the wreck). Any disabling or disfiguring injuries or fatalities being prosecuted as felonies.

Second offenses would be felonies with REAL jail time and other penalties.

To answer your question though, I would have no problem with even first offense DUI being a felony provided they were all prosecuted at the .08/less safe standard. I feel that strongly about it.