Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_080060454.html

Shocking surveillance video shows off-duty Chicago police officer Anthony Abbate, 38, a 12-year veteran of the force, brutally beating a female bartender.

He punches and kicks her.

"He was drunk in a bar. She refused to serve him anymore so he went behind the bar and threw her around like a sack of potatoes," said Attorney Terry Ekl who represents the alleged victim.
Is that the worst part? Or this:
Bystanders looked on, but no one stepped in. No one helped the woman until she was back on her feet again.
Or this?

"The Chicago Police Department made a unilateral decision that they were going to charge him only with a misdemeanor without telling the State's Attorney’s Office," said Ekl.

·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or this?

He was one of 100 Chicago police officers who had been hired despite having prior drug or alcohol related driving offenses.

·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another story. http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/22/barte ... index.html

The video from Jessie's Short Stop Inn Tavern, shown on television around the nation, shows the 250-pound Abbate shouting at the 115-pound bartender, then walking behind the bar and punching, kicking and throwing her to the ground. (Watch bartender's beating caught on tape )

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
64 thousand dollar question(s)

Draw?

Shoot?

My personal reaction would be to pull and when he starts coming towards me to shoot.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
TOUGH question too.
Except of course we & our firearms couldn't be in that BAR. :evil:

Hypothetically though, I agree. I would say draw & tell him to get the hell away from her. If he comes after me, then shoot. I know I can say that I was afraid for my life. I got 50 lbs on the bar tender but I'm tall & thin. Put me next to a 250 lbs cop & I think I can reasonably say he could kill me.
BUT what if he ignores you & your gun? He's a cop after all right & no one would ever think to fire upon him... So he smacks this little girl around. At what point do you add a few onces to his weight? After one punch? When he kicks her when she is down? He doesn't have a deadly weapon but then again the guy is more than twice this girls size. You are going to seriously have to be able to defend your actions on this one. Though I hate to say it I think if the guy didn't come after me I would not fire until he had the woman on the ground & continued to hit her. At that point I would say I felt her life was in danger & I would do my best to remove him from the pool...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
At what point do you add a few onces to his weight?
Once she is on the ground and he hits/kicks her in the head I think that a reasonable man would assume he is using deadly force against her, which can be met with deadly force.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Seems more like department policy to get into drunken fights than an anomaly from a bad cop:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,261129,00.html

Six Off-Duty Chicago Police Officers Accused of Beating Four Men in a Bar

CHICAGO â€" Authorities are investigating claims that six off-duty Chicago police officers were captured on video assaulting four men in a bar, the second report of police involved in an assault to surface in a week.

Adam Mastrucci, Scott Lowrance and brothers Aaron and Barry Gilfand were playing pool at the Jefferson Tap and Grille on Dec. 15 when the off-duty officers attacked them, their attorney Steven Fine said.

Patrol officers responded to a 911 call, but left after speaking to one of the off-duty officers, Fine said. One of the four men required reconstructive surgery for a broken nose and another had broken ribs, Fine said.

Lawyers did not say what may have prompted the alleged incident.

"I don't think this is a case where the police department can say they don't know who they're looking for," he said.

Security cameras inside and outside the bar captured the incident, said Sally Saltzberg, another attorney for the men.

Police and the Cook County state's attorney's office are looking into the claim, said police spokeswoman Monique Bond, who declined to discuss details. No charges have been filed in the case, a department spokesman said Sunday.

Saltzberg filed a petition Feb. 27 in Cook County Circuit Court seeking the officers' names, a precursor to a lawsuit. The men have not formally filed suit. The petition is scheduled to appear before a Cook County judge on April 2, Saltzberg said.

The latest claims follow accusations that an off-duty police officer beat a female bartender who reportedly refused to serve him drinks. A bar surveillance camera also recorded that incident, officials said.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
And that article from the retired leo & his comments about the average Il cop. It really sounds like that state just kinda sucks. I bet the Chicago cops start paying LOTS of attention to which places have security cams & which don't. :lol:

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
merlock said:
I hope that asshat gets some cell time. :evil:
Maybe you should remind him that Cingular/AT&T has rollover minutes. :wink:

Seriously, this guy needs to pay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts