Chestnut Mountain

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by mzmtg, Jul 5, 2006.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I went to the Chestnut Mountain Shooting Range in the John's Mountain WMA/Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest yesterday.

I have to say it was the nicest public shooting range I have ever been to. It's got a covered shooting area with rifle benches on one end and low counters on the other for the pistol shooters. The berm is out at 100 yds. They even have styrofoam baffling in the roof to keep the noise down and get this...a bathroom!

We met the park ranger and he seemd like a good guy. He was very concerned about the safety and cleanliness of the range. He even said he had arrested more than a couple of people over the years for being unsafe and/or abusing the facilities.

Overall, it's a great place to shoot.

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Did you notice the hours of operation :?: The reason I ask the Clybel range opens late closes early and is closed on Sunday.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I think it was 9-5 Monday through Saturday. The sign said it closes at the end of August but the web site for the ranger district says it's open year-round.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Here are some people (usual crowd of rednecks and gangbangers) on the right side, with the "counters:"
    [​IMG]

Here's the view from the left side, with the rifle benches:
    [​IMG]

5. Savage_Guy

Savage_Guy New Member

I went up today for a few hours before it closed. Great place to meet fellow enthusiasts and shoot around. Real friendly atmosphere. I been there about 5 or 6 times now and have nothing negative to say about it. I'll probably start bringing my Fiancee up there if we have the time. :)

6. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

I'm up there at least once a month. i like going up in the morning during the week. Usually only one up there. Its been pretty busy the past few Saturdays, chalk it up to good weather. for the most part it is clean and people are friendly. I have had a few incidences but you get that everywhere.

Try putting orange clays on the burm and pick em off. that gets really fun, especially if you race some one, first to shot 8. Its fun with an AR and Aimpoint red dot.