cherokee co.

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by MLS 4506, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

wonder of wonders,guess what i found in the mail box tonight,a letter from the probate court containing my GFL(dated june 12-applied mar. 10,only missed the 60 days by a little more than a month) along with a copy of 16-11-126,an appology letter concerning the batf refusal to exempt GFL holders of an NICS check,and an advisory letter stating that "pursuant to federal mandate,our state law has been amended so that,effective july 1,2006,there are no longer concealed wepons permit" renewals". all applications are treated as new applications,which includes new fingerprinting and review by the GBI and FBI.the amount of fee's will be those of a new application."......... : :D :( :? :x

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The renewals part is false.
    The background check has changed, all renewals will have to go to the GBI with fee instead of it being at the court's choice to perform it locally (fast and free) or send it off the the GBI again (slow and costs $24).

However the temporary renewal permit is still availible to those getting a license renewal. Which with some of these counties, a 90 day extension from renewal date will be needed. It costs a whopping $1, at the probate court.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What about the new fingerprinting? That DOES appear to apply to the renewal (see new subsection (c)).

4. Malum Prohibitum

I also think (d)(1) is going to cause us problems. No longer can the sheriff run a background check right there in a terminal. Instead, the new law (July 1) forces the sheriff to request it from the GBI. See (d)(1).

Althought the no-report-is-required-if-no-derogatory-information-is-found language is still there (farther down in (d)), I still think this is going to cause us headaches.

UPDATE: This post is not true. See discussion below.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

MP Wrote:
    We will be finding out soon. Anybody here have to renew this year?
    :?:

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

This is what I was referring to as not true. There is still technically a difference between new apps and renewals.

I have no doubt that it will take much longer for some and cost more for all. However, the law was also changed to allow fully electronic submissions. The current law, as I read it, says that hard cards must be submitted. So for those counties that used hard cards because the law said so can now submit fully digital prints.

Hey, what about trying to push the Assembly to fund livescan machines for Sheriffs? If every county had a livescan machine, it would be hard for the GBI to justify $24 to process a print that never touches human hands. It would also be a blatant lie if the probate court says it is the GBI takeing to long (ink usually processed in 20 days, digital a couple of hours).

7. Malum Prohibitum

8. Malum Prohibitum

I needed to read a little further. :-k Although I still think the fingerprinting at renewal is going to be a pain, I needed to keep reading down to (d)(2). #-o The local law enforcement agency is to be directed to run an NCIC report and submit an appropriate report to the judge.

Then, down in (d)(4), the law enforcement agency (not the GBI) submits its findings. It returns the application and blank license form, neither of which go to the GBI, so the law enforcement agency can only be the same people who did your fingerprinting!

Whew!
    :eek:

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

For ease of review, I'll keep my post in this same Cherokee county thread.

I applied for my GFL today. When I got to the Probate clerk, she handed me a nice little package with an instruction sheet, application, two fingerprint cards, and a letter explaining how the GFL is not a substitution for the NICS check when purchasing a handgun...although it did explain that it would probably change sometime between Oct, 2005 and April, 2006. (Obviously not current)

I had to take the print cards to the Adult Detention center which is about 10-15 minutes away. I was met by a young officer who politely took my driver license, SS number, employer, and employers address, then prints, collected the $5 fee and bid me good day.

Back at the probate office, application filled out and fingerprint cards in hand. Yes the app does ask for SS, as well as Employer and employers address aside from the standard address, phone, citizenship info, and of course all the questions of "have you ever been convicted of...'', "do you have a restraining order..." stuff.

The clerk asked for my ID, and proof of my SS, upon which I gave her the actual SS card. I also handed over a current utility bill proving my Cherokee county residence, a money order to GBI for $24, and a $15 fee for the probate court. She then handed me an envelope to print my name and address that would be used to mail me my license.

She was very polite, and reminded me to sign my name legibly because the judge would not approve it otherwise. She then said that I will be receiving my license when they get the paperwork back. She did not commit to a time frame, although the instruction sheet advises the average time is 3 to 6 months because of the large volumes of firearms applications being processed.

No. I did not challenge any part of the process (i.e. SS number requirement, employer, time to process).

Hopefully I can update this thread with positive news in about 60 days...whaddya think?

10. Malum Prohibitum

Man, these local county governments make me :sick:

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

My 60 day anniversary

Today is my 60 day anniversary of applying for my GFL. The clerk at the courthouse was kind enough to inform me that they are only just now working on the June applicants. :cry:

Sounds like Cherokee isn't going to break the mold. Hey, maybe I can console myself by the knowledge that it's only been 44 working days...yeah...that's it!

12. Malum Prohibitum

I am shocked! :shock: Shocked, I tell you! :D

At least they did not try to blame it on somebody else.

13. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I am one of you!!

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! IT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!!!!!

74 days after application (54 working days) I have my Georgia Firearms License!!!

It was issued October 9, envelope was stamped October 10, and today is October 11. Apparently, there are NO mail issues in Cherokee County!

I'm so happy! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :lol: :lol:

14. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: I am one of you!!

None of my interactions with our probate court have made me happy so far. I'm already saving $$ to take Judge McVay (if she's still the judge) to court when I go to apply for RENEWAL and TEMPORARY permits when my current one expires in 2011.

15. Typoman

Typoman New Member

I applied today. The clerk said it would be 3 to 6 months. I'll be waiting.

I submitted a detailed writeup on here for the Cherokee process since it is out of date. Hopefully it will be updated soon.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks! :D

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I got it, I will try to update it tonight.

18. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I stopped in at Pannell's Firearms in Cherokee County this morning about 11. Asked Jeff Pannell if I could leave some of the GeorgaPacking.org flyers. [I had printed the GeorgiaPacking flyer on one side and the 'GeorgaiCarry.org: 2006 In Review' on the back.]

I explained what they were and who we were and he said, "Yeah, sure". Then he started to read the 2006 in review and we started to talk about Georgia law. He mentioned that his GFL had expired and that he couldn’t get a temp. when he started the renewal process and had been without a GFL since. I explained that according to current law that a temp was $1 and that he should have gotten one at the time of reissue.

He, after looking at the GeorgiaPacking site, I think, gets on the phone to the Probate Court. As he related to me, the clerk tells him that “Well, yes we could issue a temp. but it’s $15.†He tells her that “No, the law says $1.†She says “Well, you’re going to have to come in and talk to the ‘associate Judge’ about that.†He didn’t appear happy with those answers.

I suggested that he print out the law and take it in with him. We may have ‘a friend in the business’.

Nice shop and range. Six lanes, well lit and ventilated. They run a .22 league on Tuesday evenings. It’s about four miles north of the intersection of Piedmont and Canton Rd. just inside Cherokee County. I been shooting there three or four times and recommend it.

19. Malum Prohibitum

So they raised it by 1,500% :shock: :lol:

And they tack on interest every week to be paid on Saturday in a brown paper bag . . . or else.

Tell him to join and come have lunch with us on March 9. :wink:

20. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Done did that about the join. Next time I'm over I'll push the lavish spread angle.

What confused me was the 'associate judge' statement????? How many levels of (mis-)management does Cherokee County have?