Cheap ammo or time to reload ?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm looking for my best deal on 9mm ammo. I've been runnng through approx. 1000 rounds a month, sometimes closer to 1200. The best price that I've found so far is Dicks Sports for Remington UMC (green box) 115gr JHPs for $140 per 1000. Does anyone know somewhere with a better price?

How much investment would be involved if I started reloading? Is reloading that much less than 14 cents a round? Is it even worth it for 9mm? How long does it take to load a few hundred rounds?

2. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

academy has this monarch stuff that is $4-$5 per 50. not that bad for plinking

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've thought about that, but I have to weigh the savings against the cost of gas and the time to drive to Athens and back.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

So explain to me exactly why you didn't pass this bit of shopping trivia on to be BEFORE I left Athens today?! :?

It was good meeting ya GG, thanks for the present, it will be a great visual aid in my classes! :D

5. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

sorry dude! they would have been closed though.

Anytime ya'll want cheap ammo just let me know and I will pick it up and you can pick it up from me if you are passing thru. I wish academy sold online! Or just come on down and shoot at the firing lane and pick it up on the way there.

Great meeting you too. sorry you had to wait on me!

If you guys want send me a list of all the calibers you shoot and I will price check them all. I only know 9mm off the top of my head.

I do know we bought 5 boxes of 9mm, 1 box .357, 1 box .45 all 50 rounds each and it was like $60.

I want to get a conversion barrel for my g19 so I can practice more with the .22LR

6. Wiley

Wiley Guest

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I can beat their 115gr FMJ price at Dick's without having to pay freight. I also saw yesterday that Bass Pro has the WWB 100 roung value packs for $12.99 ea. That's what Wal-Mart was getting before their last increase. I'm also hoping that when Cabella's opens this fall, that they will good prices. I've ordered my 7.65 x 54 from there before, and liked their service and prices. I'm glad to see that they are opening a store that's kinda near Atlanta.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'd love to order from Georgia-Arms. However, the cost difference is too great to make me do it.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I went durring lunch today. Bass Pro in Lawrenceville is out of them.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Me too.
    I like their ammo, but I'm looking to save on ammo, not spend an extra $30 + shipping per 1000. It looks like Dicks at $6.98 per box of 50 (10 box min) for Remington green box is the best bet for now. It's the same price as Wally World gets for Blazer Brass, and they always have plenty in stock. The last time I bought Blazer W-M only had 3 boxes on hand.

12. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun Member

well im going to try the reloading route, i just got a lee press and dies off ebay for less than 50 bucks , 1 lb powder, 100 caps, 100 round nose,from franklens for around 35 bucks, so im going to try and not blow myself up and see what i can do .

( note to self. self try and not blow yourself up, put smoke out BEFORE opening can of powder.) thank you self , no problem.

13. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Ok, if you're going to relload, check Dillion Precision. A 550 progressive will put out around 500 rounds/hour.

Don't forget all the ancilary equipment: Tumbler, media, primer trays, scales, reloading manuals, reloading bench, components (powder, primers, bullets), ad nauseum.

I've tried reloading and I'm too lazy. I'd rather go to a gun show, finger shop and pick up a 500-1000 rounds on the way out.

YMMV

14. grayelky

grayelky New Member

I used to reload a lot. I never saved any money, I just did a whole lot more shooting. Go slow, pay attention and be careful. It is not hard, but your $50 investment is a down payment on equipment. The good news is, it will let you get started so you can know what you want/need.

I find it too easy to buy ammo at a price I can almost load it for. Here are a few sites I have located. The only one I have actually used is Ga Arms. I try to tailor my supplies to last between shows and buy their canned heat.
    http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm
    the price you see includes shipping. Right now he is advertising Speer lawman 115 gr 9mm, new ammo, $99 for 500
    http://www.cnccartridge.com/9.htm
    no price listed
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammoproducts.asp
    http://www.precisioncartridge.com/Reman ... Page-1.pdf
    http://www.accuswage.com/prod06.htm

Good luck and enjoy!