"Cheap" 1911

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by viper32cm, Jun 23, 2006.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I'm intrigued by the 1911. That's about it. I figure I need to explore the gun type some before I drop a grand on a Springfield or Kimber.

The GI models look good, but the sights seem very, very small. I've heard bad things about the Charles Daly models (though their compact 1911 at that price would be SWEET), but I've heard half way decent things about the Rock Island Armory models.

If I could I'd like to get a Champion or Micro-Compact length 1911 since those are easier to carry, but for a starter 1911 I'd be open to a full-size version.

Any suggestions, experiences to learn from?

2. artz

artz New Member

try to find a spanish made Llama.... new they were $250-300....

3. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Did you only load ball in it or did you load JHPs too?

The RIA 1911 is sounding like a better idea more and more, but adventure outdoors has some small 1911s from Para on their used rack that are quite hard to pass up.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Auto-Ordinance

I bought a used, excellent shapeM1911A1 with some custom features for only $300 from a gun shop. (Just a few years ago, when most used 1911's were $500 and new ones were $800). The gun was made by Auto-Ordinance (the folks that make the Thompson submachinegun and carbine). It needed some buffing and polishing on the feed ramp and chamber to allow it to work reliably with wide-mouth hollowpoints, but other than that it was a great gun for a great price.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have a RIA and had some problems with it in the beginning. No matter what I tried, tuning the extractor, polishing the ramps, new mags, etc... after the first mag or 2 it would start miss-feeding or extracting.

Turns out that it was the firing pin block was undersized. RIA's support was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful. 8)

7. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I've used everything from cheapo Wolf ball ammo, to Federal Hydrashok's. No problems at all.

8. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I saw a lot of RIA .45s at the Eastman this weekend. I didn't pick one up (got a like new Mosin-Nagant M44 instead), but I did see a Charles Daly comapct .45 for $400. The price is pretty good, though I've heard bad things about the CD 1911s.

I'd like to get a smaller 1911, I just like the look of the guns and they seem like they'd be real nice for carry.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I got the RIA with the 4in barrel. It has a full 1911 grip but the barrel and slide is an inch shorter, so it is lighter.

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Springfield's mil-spec is no where near the $1,000 you mentioned. I think you can get one new for around $400. They are nice, basic, realiable 1911s.

11. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

You can get the GI for the price. The springfield mil-spec with the lowered and flared ejection port and a few other options runs about 500 for the full-size and a little more for the compact (which I don't think they make anymore).

This would be an easy decision if I wanted to get a full-size 1911. But I'd like to get a smaller one the more I think about it.

12. sgtdevildog

sgtdevildog New Member

Most folks seem to lean towards the Springfield as a good deal for the less expensive end of 1911's, although I hear more and more good things about the RIA's as well. Dan Wesson has a bobtail commander that many folks like although I think that starts to creep up to the $800 range or so. It sports the Ed Brown bobtail and conceals very well. If I were going to pick up a new 1911 I would try and see some RIA's and Springfield Mil-Spec and see which one felt/looked better and go from there. Good luck.

13. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

1911?

I have several Kimbers btw I love to shoot them no problems, they are pricey but you need to be careful even with the pricey ones. I just bought (several months ago) a SIGARMS 1911 45 GSR Revolution SS Nitride coating and it eats everything I feed it with no problems. It came fully loaded with extras, the price was $800 but well worth it. Now the downside, it is to heavy to carry concealed (though I do, I am a big guy). I did have a Charles Daily and it is a fine gun, a little rough around the edges but it never failed one time and I put several thousand rounds through it (I traded it in for the GSR). Bottom line is, like all things man made, it will be your decision on what you get. I reccomend going to a range and renting several different 1911's and make your decision then.
    Sorry for the long post so please don't score me low, oh I'm not on PDO.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    TJ

14. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I found a deal on a compact RIA (which are pretty rare) and I saw a compact CD at the last gun show, but I think I'm going to hold off though. The new Taurus 1911 is coming out soon, and it's got a lot to it. I may wait for one of them which may be until Christmas. It'll probably be worth it.

Also, Taurus is going to make a Commander length 1911, but that's probably going to be beginning of 07 at the earliest.