Chatham County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by S&W 40, Jan 11, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Anyone with knowledge/experience with Chatham county probate court?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Thanks, have looked at allsite out there.

Applied a couple weeks ago but have not seen anyone with real timeline for Chatham except what the court has on the website. Guess I should have said that before. They did digital prints and I have not even had as much as a speeding ticket in over 15 years.

Met several people at the gun show this last weekend from other counties saying 2-4 weeks for them with digital prints.

5. Malum Prohibitum

This link says it takes four months, but there is no indication of whether it was digital or ink fingerprints and it sounds like second hand information.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Since it is a local call for you, would you mind calling 912-652-7264 and asking whether they issue temporary licenses at renewal time?
    [-o<

7. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Just got off the phone (912 652-7267) and they said they do not issue temps. She also did not sound to happy to help, different than who I dealt with when I applied.

Looked at the court requirements (dated 31 July 06) that they gave me when I applied and it only addresses first time applicants and that they are good for 5 years at which time they may be renewed. Nothing on the renewal process, cost or time.

8. Malum Prohibitum

BIG surprise! :roll: It's not exactly like you can go across the street to the friendly probate court. She gets paid the same whether she uses common courtesy or not.

I will add Chatham to the "I Can't Read But I'm Still a Judge" list in the previous link. Thanks for calling! :D

9. Malum Prohibitum

:roll:

These two must be related! :D

Or, maybe they are getting their information from the same place? I think that it is becomiong readily apparent that the place is not a statute book . . .

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

88 Days Chatham Co !!!!!

I have been on vacation the last week or so, got the mail today and GFL signed 26 Mar 07 post marked 3 Apr. Original start date was 2 Jan, looks like I have the first issued for Chatham 07-0001 :!: 8)

Have been waiting to get a good carry holster since I thought it would still be a couple months. Going this week and will CC and OC next week, most likely Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart type.

11. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

congrats. i have 82 days according to the estimate clarke gave me (120 days)

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Ramm,
    Thanks, I have noticed your avatar has changed a couple months ago agian, is that a muffler on the end of your muzzle on the last couple?

GG,

Hang in there, I have had to forget about mine for some part lately with work and family, seemed to make it go quicklier???

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yeah, I got to shoot a M249 with a suppressor on it. It was surprisingly quiet.

14. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

At 88 days now, still no sign of it...

and yes, the lady at the Chatham probate court is quite evil... she gives you that "why are you wasting my time?" look when you come in, regardless of what you're there for. I've obnly had to deal with her twice (this and marriage license), but I'm already dreading the next time I have to go back in there.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's no good :( Did you follow this process, yet?

16. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

gtg,

Use the link from pt After I check with the GBI and verified with the Sherrif that all was complete mine came about 2 weeks later.

Denise (I think) in printing at the sherrif office was a great help once I knew that the GBI was done to help find my prints had been returned.

I applied 2 Jan 07 and license issued end of March then mailed first week of April. I was on vacation so I did not get it in the mail until after return and starting mail again mid April.

17. Jim Lee

Jim Lee New Member

I just went through a first time application in Chatham County.
    Although the state law says 2 months, it actually took 6 months.
    Siz (6) months to the exact day and then only after I called the Probate Court Clerk twice and the Chatham County Sherrif's office trying to track down the application / permitt.

Although I cannot prove this after speaking with a person at the Sherriff's office I suspect that the hold up is in the Probate Court office.

Case in point:
    The Sherriff's office sends the application back to Probate Court upon receipt of the background check from the GBI & FBI.

When I called the Probate Court to check on my applictaion, the clerk told me that they did not have it and to check the Shgerriff's office, GBI or FBI.
    When I called the Sheriff's office they told me that they did not have the application and that when they receive the approved background checks they send the whole package back to Probate Court.

I then called back to Probate Court explaining what I had been told and the clerk then stated that I would be receiving the permit within 2 weeks and it actually arrived within 2 days.

If it smells like fish, it sure ain't freaking chicken.

Jim Lee
    Savannah

18. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Jim, congrats on getting your GFL (finally). When you have time stop in at the new members and intro yourself, great bunch here with good advice knowledge and experience.

Also check out GCO they are doing great things for our GFL rights.

Craig

19. Malum Prohibitum

wow. Didn't somebody just report 13 days in Chatham?