Chatham county renewal

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Joey Z, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Joey Z

Joey Z New Member

Hello everyone,

On the 17th of August I went down to the probate court for my renewal at the Chatham county courthouse. My license expired today, so I had asked them for the paper extension so I would be covered while waiting on the renewal.

The clerk told me that they don't offer that extension any longer and I would know if my renewal was approved before I left. True to her word about 3 minutes later a different clerk came in and said my background came back clear and my renewal was approved. I was told my license would be printed and mailed this past Monday.

Hopefully everything she said is true because until that new license comes in I can't carry.

I just wanted everyone to know what they are doing now if you have a renewal coming up. She also said by September fingerprinting will be done right at the probate court and new licenses should take 7 to 10 days after that point.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, you are entitled to the temporary license.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

(i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a weapons carry license under this Code section may, at the time he or she applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he or she then holds or if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.​

The probate judge does not really get a choice. I am glad to see, however, that the judge moves so quickly on renewals.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Print out the law, take it to them, ask to speak to the Clerk them self - not one of their employees if they do not comply with the law. Be polite, patient, and get names.

Joey Z likes this.
  4. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Only after having a fire lit under his butt and the fine work of a GCO attorney.

Joey Z likes this.
  5. Joey Z

Joey Z New Member

Hello again,

I just got home from work and checked the mailbox and my new license was waiting for me! 6 day total turnaround wow

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

:righton:

How did it feel to be effectively naked for 6 days? I am going over to MD tomorrow, coming back Monday. I am going unarmed. I will feel naked. I will not like it.

Nemo

7. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Black powder pistol?

8. Nemo

Its Maryland. I will pass through DC (a bit) to get there. Empty brass can get you headaches in DC.

Md outlawed black powder stuff after seeing how bad it could be at Fort McHenry.

Nemo

Joey Z likes this.
  9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Is that the Fort some guy wrote a poem about and it later turned into a song that modern day football players bitch about?

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That's an extremely wise move. Unfortunate but wise.

11. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Glad I dont have to worry about places like this anymore

12. Nemo

Yes. Its in Baltimore Harbor. Not real far from the National Aquarium.

Nemo

13. Joey Z

Joey Z New Member

Sorry man, I feel your pain. Being disarmed except for a pocket knife was not a good feeling. Not carrying in DC or MD is a smart move. Sucks though :(

14. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

7-10 days was standard back in 2012.

Joey Z likes this.