Charlie Wilson's War

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Thorsen, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Ok, I just saw the trailer for this upcoming Tom Hanks movie and I can't wait to go see it. The following link will take you to the trailer:

http://mftm.blogspot.com/2007/10/charlie-wilsons-war-2007-trailer.html

Funny thing is, I have never heard of this congressman before, but I did a little reading on him. Come to find out the trailer seems to portray him fairly accurately. He was basically a hard partying, hard drinking, hedonistic politician, but he decided that the Afghanis would have American military hardware to help them fight the Soviets. And then he used his position in congress to make it happen.

Basically he didn't have the authorization to do what he did, but he did it anyway. I couldn't help but laugh at the chutzpah.

Anyway, since Hanks is one of my favorite actors I plan on seeing this film when it is released, and thought some of you might be interested as well.

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Bumping this back up to the top of the pile.

I just watched a History Channel bit on Congressman Wilson and the affect his actions had on the Soviets when they were trying to solidify Afghanistan as one of their satellite nations. Absolutely amazing stuff.

Again, I came away with the impression that the movie is a fairly good depiction of this congressman and his own private war. I simply can not believe that I have never heard of this congressman before. Now I am going to have to look around and see if anyone ever did a biography on him.

I guess my entire fascination with this subject is because of the tremendous influence I felt in my own life growing up while Soviet style communism was our nation's biggest threat. That and the fact that I admire anyone willing to thumb their nose at "the system" and do whatever they think is right regardless of the consequences. Oh, and I think Tom Hanks is also our greatest living actor.

Oh well, enough rambling. I'll definitely be seeing this movie and will let you folks know what I think afterwards. I'll try to get into Athens to see it this weekend.

3. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

To bad Tom is so left and anti gun, he is a good actor. He is on my banned list.

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Dude if I used that as a criteria I would probably have nothing to watch but reruns of Planet of the Apes. Its pretty much a given if you work in Hollywood that you are left and probably anti-gun. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

5. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I didn't say I wouldn't watch it, but I won't pay to go see it. Besides what happened to all of our not supporting anti-gunners, like not shopping at places that won't allow us to carry, or ask us to leave if they see the gun. All of them are riding the same boat.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Where were y'all when the book came out?

7. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Is the book the movie in print or what the movie was based on?

8. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I have never said anything about boycotting anti-gunners on this site or any other. I have said I will leave and not come back if a business kicks me out for carrying. But if I lived my life as some form of continuous protest I would end up living in a cave.

Other great Tom Hanks movies and series that he helped produce were "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers". Not trying to yank your chain, but did you pay to see either of those? Keep in mind if you pay for HBO, some of your money went to Hanks on the Band series and if you waited to watch it on the History Channel you paid for it by watching advertisements.

I'm not trying to get into an arguement about Hanks political beliefs. To be honest, I don't even know them. If you say he is anti-gun, that's good enough for me, because I could really care less. The guy is an excellent actor, has done some fantastic work (I still think he should have won the Oscar the third year in a row for Apollo 13) and has done some great work socially by pushing for a national WW2 memorial and recognition of the veterans of that war. Actually, everything I have ever read about him tells me that he is a vocal and strong supporter of veterans period.

But if you don't want to see anything done by him, that's fine with me. I just choose not to live my life that way. To each their own and all that jazz.

9. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I have sen some of those, I did not pay at the theater, I did not rent, I did not use HBO, I used someone else's copies they purchased and yes I copied them (I appropriated from Hanks and other public anti gun people). He is a good actor and I have no problem with people having their own views, even hanks, Fonda or who ever. If they would just shut up publicly and act. Then I would not feel so bad spending money, but he has donated over $1,000,000 to the anti gun groups. He is so liberal that he led the charge in trying to keep Arnold out of the Governors Office lol.

Yes you are correct if we lived our lives by a strict boycott of the anti gun people and everything else in life we do not agree with, we would all be living in a cave.

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

While at the GCO recruiting table today, I heard a very positive review of the movie and also of "I Am Legend".

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that paying to see works by the anti's bites us twofold?

1 - Supporting them keeps them in the public eye giving them access to the mainstream media and allows them to spread their message at no cost.

2 - It puts a paycheck in their pocket which allows them to make large donations to our opponents in the fight for our rights.

Too many people do just enough to get by and aren't willing to stand up for what they believe in as they feel that it's not worth fighting a certain battle. Voting is one thing, but we have the ability to spend our money as we choose, and supporting people and organizations that have opposing views does nothing more than fund those we are up against.

Just my :2cents:

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I saw this movie two weeks ago at a film festival in Austin, TX. It's very good...not overly political and with some fantastic performances.

13. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Saw it last night... give it the :righton:

14. oldguns

oldguns New Member

15. Lucky13

Lucky13 Guest

There was a 2-hr documentary on Charlie Wilson tonight on the History Channel.. I'm sure they'll replay it soon if anyone wants to keep an eye out for it.

16. murrybird

murrybird New Member

The movie is nothing more than to re-write history and marginlize what Reagan did during the Cold War. THe leftards can't stand the fact he brought the Soviets to their knees.

17. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Are you trolling or do you seriously suggest that only Ronald Reagan had anything to do with ending the Cold War?

If you are trolling, that is a pretty good one.

If you are serious ..... :roll:

:lol:

18. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

+1

Some people go through life living the Pink Floyd song - Comfortably Numb.