Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center Off Limits?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ntech, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

The Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center in Mansfield, GA is one of those places I am a bit confused about. It has hunting areas, and a shooting range. However, there are walking trails and camping areas. Does anybody know how firearms law would apply to somebody with a GFL who would carry there? I am assuming the hunting area, and shooting range along with its parking lots are okay, but other areas prohibited? Is that considered a state park? What do you think guys?

2. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

The CEWC is part of Clybel WMA. Being that it is a WMA, it is sadly off-limits.

3. ntech

ntech Member

How do you take your firearm to the shooting range if it is off limits? I would guess its okay to have in your car on the way to the shooting range? Or in the parking lot? I don't understand why they would have a shooting range inside of an off limits area....ridiculous.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It's off-limits to carry. Just have it cased up if you're going there to shoot.

5. ntech

ntech Member

Does it matter if its loaded in a case? Any links to official code as to how to transport in WMA's?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, there is this one and a bunch more if you click on the yellow "Gun Laws" tab, above.

7. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

Ironically, I talked to a LE Sgt, a WMA manager, and an assistant chief that is in charge of legislative affairs (a law dog) and all three said you could carry your pistol on a WMA.

I had to show them where the law said otherwise. Of course the laws were written for other purposes, not to keep GFL holders from carrying. (The prohibition against loaded weapons in vehicles is to keep hunters from riding down the road with a loaded shotgun bouncing around in the floorboard.) But as we all know there are lots of unintended consequences for everything we do.

I am not promising anything but...

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Any chance of you setting up a short meeting between an officer of GCO and the assistant chief in charge of legislative affairs to discuss his support for something coming in 2008?

9. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

check your PM.