Charleston, SC

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by EJR914, Dec 13, 2016.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Was in Charleston, SC and was in a legally to carry location and apparently, somehow my shirt and my jacket came over the handle of my firearm, and supposedly you can barely see it. I was carrying at around 3 O'Clock, IWB holster, P229, regular magazine.

A very nice Charleston officer walked up to me and said, "Sir, I think the handle of your firearm may be a tiny bit visible." I never saw it, but I said thank you so much, "sir, do you mind if I adjust it?" He said, "Sure, just walk over here to this alley with me and adjust it there. I fully concealed it again.

We sat and talked for a minute and I wanted to thank him for dealing with the situation with such professionalism and I told him I understood it was illegal, but that I'm from Georgia and we have different laws and I had no idea and could not feel the shirt and jacket ride up and get stuck behind the firearm slightly. Anyway, glad I didn't go to jail or anything. Officer was very nice.

Good discretion.

We talked about my firearm and we BS'd about his firearm collection.

Never asked for my ID, just told me to go on about my business.

I feel bad I didn't get his badge number or name, but I was with my little girl and my girlfriend and was in a bit of a hurry, whole thing took a minute maybe. Not long at all.

I thanked him and went on my way. I didn't tell him that you should be allowed to openly carry LOL just left it polite and nice just like he was.

Good officer, feel bad I didn't get his name or even his department. Must have been Charleston though, downtown near the Market East Bay and Market maybe.

2. mountainman444

mountainman444 Well-Known Member

Whew. Glad it went that way instead of tased and or shot.
    Good job officer!!

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yep. Good encounter.
    Years ago, I carried from my vehicle to my place of residence when I visited SC.
    If anybody saw me, I could have had the cops called on me, too, by people who didn't know the law or who thought cops ought to just check out the situation anyway.

It didn't happen, but I'm glad that some officers know the law and are cool about enforcing it reasonably, not looking for excuses to bust people.

4. EJR914

Excellent story, thank you so much for sharing it

5. EJR914

I am too, but immediately upon seeing this officer and seeing his demeanor, I knew I was in good hands, I truly believe this officer was the exact type officer that you would want as a police officer. He was calm, cool, very kind, very reasonable, and I think even cracked a joke somewhere in there as well, so he also had a very good sense of humor.

6. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

I'm glad it well for you, EJR, by the way how did you get to Charleston?

7. EJR914

Derp derp