Charging Brown Bear

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by moga, Oct 6, 2007.

1. moga

moga New Member

Charging Brown Bear caught on film

Holy moly. It's pretty intense watching it on video, inspite of beforehand knowledge of what to expect. I can't imagine how it must have been in the flesh.

2. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Wow, mama bear came out of nowhere. If it was me in that boat, I would have probably ended up as bear food, or at least in need of new underwear.
    :oops:

So what do people do here in GA when they go to places that are under WMA jurisdiction and cannot carry a gun? Will the pepper spray work in your favor or in the bear's favor?
    In your favor, the pepper spray would make the bear stop the charge and turn away. In the bear's favor, the pepper spray would serve as seasoning for his lunch. :?

I don't know much about bears either, but what are the differences between black and brown bears? Is one more aggressive than the other? Which kind of bears are you more likely to encounter around these parts?

3. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I hike/camp in WMAs and all I can say is I have a 45 close by for not just momma bears but 2 legged animals too.

4. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Thats why everyone should have a S&W 500. It should also be effective on 2 legged animals. :D

[​IMG]

5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I'm glad he managed to scare off the bear instead of having to kill it seeing as how she had dependent cubs. But would that caliber handgun have really have stopped the bear if she wasn't scared away? I've never shot anything that big, so I am really curious. Anyone know for sure?

6. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I know I've read where people hunt brown bear with them, however, it would probably come down to shot placement.

I'm not sure what I've had done in that situation, I have to ask myself if I'd have wasted a shot hoping to scare her off seeing how fast she was running towards you.

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Reminds me of the old story of the Park Ranger telling some hikers the difference between black bears and grizzly bears.

Many hikers wear little bells on the clothing so the bears will hear them coming. Being shy by nature, they will avoid the bells and the people wearing them. Many hikers also carry pepper spray in case they run into a bear that's not so shy...

The ranger explained the best way to tell the difference between the two species of bears is by their scat. (That means "poop" to you non-scientific types...)

He said black bear scat is smaller and usually contains seeds and pits from fruit as the bears dine on vegetation frequently as well as small animals and the like.

Grizzly bear scat however, is larger and frequently contains small bells and smells of pepper.......

:rotfl2:

8. GunNut

GunNut New Member

:rotfl:

And remember, you don't have to be able to outrun the bear, you just have to be able to outrun whoever your with.

9. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i think it'd have to be real sick or wounded for a black bear to come close to that kind of unprovoked attack, brown bears seem known for them. that was a scary thing seeing mama bear bust out of nowhere. i understand why the camera man suddenly lost a need to film. good stuff... thanks!

10. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

this should help answer your questions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkWWnZm ... ed&search=

11. moga

moga New Member

You mean the .500? While I can't be certain, there was a recent story of two retired Navy physicians attacked by a bear after they shot it on their property, then stalked it to finish it off. The husband saved the wife's life quite literally. Apparently the wife was ambushed while at point, and when the husband began shooting, the head of the wife was in the boar's mouth.

According to the story, the husband nearly severed his thumb from his hand from emptying his .460 S&W into the animal. After the bear laid down for good, they bandaged each other up, walked out of the woods, and lived to tell the tale. No kidding. So I surmise it may be possible to fend off a very pissed off mother-bear with a 500 S&W based on that account. I don't know if it was a brownie or a blackie though.

Now lemme see if I can dig up that story...

12. moga

moga New Member

here ya go:

Wildcat Lake, Washington

From the Central Kitsap Reporter of August 21, 2007

http://www.centralkitsapreporter.com/po ... earchd.cgi

perform a search in archives for Wildcat Lake.

Woman mauled by black bear at Wildcat Lake home

What was meant to only be a scare tactic ended poorly for a Central Kitsap woman who was attacked by a black bear on her Wildcat Lake property last Wednesday.

Although the rain has washed most of the evidence of the struggle away, there was still a pool of blood left behind from where the mauling took place.

An un-welcomed visitor that ravaged the property on a regular basis, the bear had outstayed its welcome.

In an attempt to try and scare the more than 300-pound black bear after spotting it on her property last Wednesday morning, the woman, a retired Navy doctor and volunteer Search and Rescue worker who wishes to remain unnamed, shot off her .30-06-caliber rifle, hitting the bear.

After watching it run off into the heavily wooded area that sits behind the couple’s home, the woman and her husband, went in search of the bear to kill it to prevent an attack on them or hikers who frequent the area. The couple began their search by heading over the ridge in the direction where the bear took off running.

Searching together, but letting her go ahead on the trail, it wasn’t long before the couple met the bear on a more intimate level than they expected.

“The bear was taller than I was,†her husband said. “He was hiding in the brush ... then I heard movement and started walking behind her.â€

Hiding in the brush, the bear then sprang out at the woman, upon which she fired again at the bear, however it took her head in its jaw with razor sharp teeth. Nicking her jugular vein and leaving deep teeth marks over her face and neck, her head was literally inside the mouth of the bear.

Not missing a beat, her husband shot five rounds into the bear with a .460 Magnum, killing the bear before it could kill his wife. The handgun had so much power, upon the recoil, he suffered a severe thumb injury, almost severing it.

“I suspect that this was his territory,†he said while pointing to the densely wooded trees and underbrush. “He was so big ... people walk back there and it was our responsibility to protect other hikers.â€

He added that when he was firing the rounds into the bear, his wife said she couldn’t hear the shots being fired from inside the bear’s mouth. :shock: The couple, both with extensive medical training, then bandaged themselves up and drove to Naval Hospital Bremerton where nurses then contacted the Department of Fish and Wildlife. The woman, who required surgery, was released Thursday night with a series of stitches and staples lining her face and neck and her husband with stitches around his thumb and hand.

“(They) live in a very heavily wooded area, the bear was a problem wandering on her property,†said Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Ted Jackson. “Kitsap County has a high population of (black) bears ... her husband killed it when it was on top of her.â€

The couple's neighbor, Diane Horst, said she thought the bear also had previously been in her yard because one of her oversized bird-feeders had been knocked over, a feat that only a large animal could accomplish, she said.

She told me there was a bear that came onto her property, but she wanted to get a picture before she scared him away, Horst added. Everyone walks around back there (in the woods) ... its a very common area for hikers to go.

According to Jackson, unprovoked bear attacks are very uncommon in the state. There is an estimated amount of one bear per every five square miles, however, Jackson added that there have been suggestions that the number may be reaching one bear per every single square mile. It's not so bad, laughed the woman's husband while walking back through the trees toward the couple's home. We're healing up quickly.

That's one tough chick. :Nunchaku:

13. triggerman357

triggerman357 Active Member

That event would have followed by intense crying like a baby and calling for my momma. :shock:

14. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Re: here ya go:

:?: Maybe he had the snub nose model. I have a .460 with an 8" barrel and it is very controllable. I've shot both the .460 and .500 one handed before and didn't severe my thumb.

15. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

I guess if I ever go into the woods I shouldn't even bother going up against a bear with my .40, as that would only tickle it, or probably piss it off even further. :help:

16. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

Black bear attacks are so rare they are almost non-existent. I would not be worried about a black bear. Like I have said before, you can pick up a black bear cub and twist his ears and the sow will only huff and puff and bluff.

Brown bear attacks are bad. If you are close enough to a brown bear for it to attack you are in a really really bad place. If you are between a grizzly sow and her cub you are most likely going to die. You should not hesitate to shoot. A lot. If you are not dead yet, you should shoot some more. Most likely you are dead though.

17. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

So what bears are there in the N. Ga mountains around Ellijay? We'll be there in a few weeks for a relaxing weekend in a cabin with some other couples, but as I perambulate across the countryside, I wondered what I might see and what would be the best bear repellent? As I non-hunter, I do not know what calibers fit best with certain game. Would a .357 do the job acceptably well, or would I need my .45 ACP?

18. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

like red beard said don't worry much about it. i feel adequately protected in the north ga mtns. with only a .38spl, been hiking and camping all over n. ga over for 20 years and i've never seen a bear here (seen a few of them in the carolinas tho). i worry more about smaller rabid beasts and wild dogs than bears and i always feel safer in those woods than i do ITP. we did have @200lbs of wild pig run through our camp in rabun county earlier this summer :)

19. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

But what if you see the bear at around 50 yards away, and it hasn't charged at you yet? Could you get arrested for shooting it? Of course, you can hit the playback button on "I saw the bear and I feared for my life" line over and over and over... Or does the bear has to be threatening you or charging at you for you to start blasting? :shoot:

From watching that video, it doesn't look like there's much time to empty a whole magazine on the bear once it starts running at you.

20. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

penalties are pretty stiff! a few years ago a guy here in forsyth county shot a bear in his yard with a bow, used the self defense line, lost his truck (had the bear in the back), lost his bow and paid a stiff fine. no bear season in forsyth county. i think the general consensus here is tote a piece of firewood for bear protection, smart carry is best as if you don't see a bear it at least may help you get dates.