Changing Web Hosts this Weekend

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by Gunstar1, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Traffic has increased a bit so it is time to move to a host that has a higher bandwidth limit. I am going to transfer the domain name and forum data Saturday at Midnight.

The standard statement by the host is that it can take up to 24-48 hours to complete. However, in past experiences with web host transfers, I have found that it may take that long for a few people, but for most it will be transferred before I can get the forum's data backed up, then uploaded onto the new host's server (30min - an hour).

Hopefully the only thing that will be different is a post in this topic saying it is done.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well it took far longer than I expected because as luck would have it the new host was doing some upgrades to their servers so I could not upload the forum database until they finished at about 6am. By the time I found this out I had already started the transfer process which means I had to go through with it.

So I set an alarm to wake up when Tech Support said the servers would be open again for uploads and I finished loading the the latest files.

3. Taler

Taler New Member

"Read"

Hi GS1,

Don't know whether its me, but now posts aren't automatically marked as "read" (after reading.)

Did I do something?

Taler

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is working correctly for me. :-k

I can think of 3 things to try.
    1. In Internet Explorer, click on tools, internet options, then under temporary internet files click "delete files".
    2. On the main forum page, below the list of forum topics but above the list of who is online, is a small link that says "Mark all forums read". (this should erase the list of topics that are marked as unread)
    3. Make sure that if the topic (like "In the News") has an unread mark, that there is not more than one unread document in the topic.

5. Taler

Taler New Member

Thanks GS1.

Cleared the files, and it seems to be working now. guess they were identified a little differently in the past than now.

Taler

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

refresh

It marks as read but does not refresh the unread postings page. Before when you clicked the back button in your browser the thread you just read would not be listed anymore. Now you have to hit the refresh button to make it go away.

7. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Sounds like Murphy got you GS1. :D Murphy is always around. :wink:

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: refresh

I know of nothing off the top of my head to fix this one. I will look for something but it may just be a difference in the way the host sets their servers up.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

And it doesn't matter how much you prepare or test either. As long as it is important to someone, Murphy will be lurking nearby.

I have heard rumors that Murphy found a way to be installed on every computer in the world. That is why when you are doing something like typing up a report, due in an hour, and right before you finish and save it, the computer crashes.

10. blare

blare New Member

Today is my first day I was able to get back on the site in since it went down. What a lonngg weekend. :shock:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That is a long time. Who is your internet host?

12. tony218

tony218 New Member

ME TOO...... i was getting the first signs of d.t's.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have decided to put it back on the old host's server since this one has problems.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Everything seems to be ready for the move. I figure I will do it tonight at midnight just incase something screwy happens I will have Saturday to fix it.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Everything seems to work... going to sleep now. :sleep: