Change to Chatham co GFL Info

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by S&W 40, Oct 26, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

http://www.chathamcounty.org/department ... _R124.html

Effective 1 Oct 07

Just found that they changed the GBI to the Sherriff and the amount is less. I have tried to call and verify but not able to get a line.

Also renewals state that if done within the same month as expiration no background fees, finger prints and usually one month!

2. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

What the hell...

3. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Just called the court and she could not verify the cost and to whom the background checks are to. Contacted the Sherriff Dept via email and waiting a reply.

Just got a reply from the Sheriff dept and they did verify $19.25 made out to the county Sherriff for the GBI checks.

4. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

By matter of procedure now.

BS.

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I just thought you might want to know. A buddy of mine just got his GFL from Chatham County in 13 days. :D This was about 2 weeks ago. His only issue was that the certified check made payable to the Sheriff was for a couple cents over the acutual cost, and the person in the Probate Court told him he would have to come back with a check for the right amount. He told them to keep the change, but that person still refused. So he made a little noise about it, and one of her coworkers came over and said it was fine and took his money. 13 days sounds pretty good. Maybe something has change a little in the Chatham Probate Court.

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will check this out soon, my wife still has not been down to apply, soon. :wink:

7. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

tmoore,

Was this a renewal or first time for him?

Are you some type of plant the probate had post here to make us feel better? :wink:

Just jokin, it would be easier for them to do their job in a timely manner than have people post here just to make us feel better, but then again this is the "feel good about yourself" generation. :roll:

8. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

S&W 40,

No plant here. Matter of fact I am going to Probate Court today to apply for my GFL. I only hope that it takes 13 days.

It was a first time application for him. Needless to say he was pleasantly suprised when it showed up in his mailbox 13 days later. He is a physician, so I have no idea if that played into the speediness of him recieving his license.

I meant to ask him if they asked for his employment and SS# info on the applicantion. I will try to find out soon and i will let you know what happens after I go down there and apply.

9. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

The judge probably has surgery scheduled sometime soon

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

tmoore, good luck hope all goes well. Click into the New Members and intro yourself to all, great bunch to ask question and opinions.

If you have not checked out GCO yet give them a look doing great things for GA carry laws.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

wow. Didn't somebody just report 6 months in Chatham?

12. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

S&W 40, thanks. Didn't get by there today. Work got in the way. I have been checking GCO out for a couple months. Joining them is my next step.

13. Wiley

Wiley Guest

I like the way they call it a 'concealed weapons permit'. (Where do they get this stuff? Off the internet???)

14. Malum Prohibitum

Wow! That's a lot of checking! :D

15. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Applied for Permit

OK, start the clock. November 16th, 2007. One of my co-workers and I just applied for our GFLs today. We went to Probate Court which took 10 minutes, then got in the truck and drove to Chatham County Sheriff's Department to get fingerprinted. The finger printing is digitally done on a pretty fancy high tech computer. It took 5 minutes to do.

Probate Court gave me a Notice to read dealing with volunteering my Social Security Number to them and to the Sheriffs Department for my application. The clerk said that volunteering the SS# would speed up the application process. At the bottom of the notice it read:
    Note: The Social Security number is used to verify your records and performing the investigation required by O.C.G.A. S 16-11-129. The lack of a Social Security number may delay the review of your application by the Chatham County Sheriff's Department.

Since my buddy didn't care, he gave his SS# to them. So we will see if he gets his permit before me. It was overall a pretty nice experience. Hopefully it won't take long. We did ask how long it would take, and the clerk said just a couple months. I said i was surprised by that because everyone I knew that had applied for one, the process took 5-6 months. She said it shouldn't take that long. I will fill you all in when I hear from them.

16. Malum Prohibitum

:banghead:

Blatant violation of the federal Privacy Act. Failure to provide section 7(b) warnings even when requesting voluntary disclosure.

Dealing with 159 probate judges is like herding cats.

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I wouldn't go that far... a herd of cats is probably far easier to control.

19. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

One thing is for sure (as can be witnessed on animal police type shows) is that if one cat sees others in trouble, it quickly tries to become the cat that stands out the least.

Probate courts seem be be more like a bunch of rats. Let one court get caught so they can get the cheese.

Unlike rats and traps though, you get your money back when you catch one.

20. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Re: Applied for Permit

OK at least Chatham has found that the digital age is here. This would be one good reason that they are going from 4-6 months to under the 60 day time frame. I Hope tmoore and co-worker have good luck in the under 60.