Ch.2 talked about GFL yesterday.

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by GAGunOwner, Sep 30, 2006.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

On the news an African-American man said tha he was pulled over in DeKalb county and that he told the police officer that he had a GFL and that the police didn't like the fact that he was a minority with a carry license.

He claims he was arrested for having a suspended CDL, even though he never had and never wanted a CDL, his regular driver's license was still good. He kinda made it seem as if the real reason he was arrested was because he had a GFL.

The PD admitted that they made a mistake in arresting him.

The news reporter mentioned that with a GFL it was perfectly legal to carry a gun on you in a car, they even showed the GFL on camera.

2. Defensor

Defensor New Member

I thought it was South Fulton County. Saw it on the news today. I looked for a print story but can't find it anywhere.

So...The question is: What is the appropriate follow-up action if this happens to you?

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Nope the case was in DeKalb, maybe there was another.

The lesson of the story is to never ever tell the police that you have a gun on you or in your car unless you are in a situation where you legally have to(some other states), or in a situation where it is in the best interest of your safety(the gun is in the glove box and you've got to open the glove box to get your paperwork out), or the police are about to find out anyway(you are about to be patted down).

I am very against handing over your GFL along with your driver's license during a routine traffic stop if not asked. A lot of people on PDO claim that that is the best thing to do and that cops will cut you a break, while that may be the case in some situations, you are better off not volunteering this information. You never know if you are going to run into an anti cop or if you are in an off-limits area, especially in GA.

4. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

Me too!

In fact, I'm very against offering any more than is absolutely necessary to police. If I get stopped for speeding, all we need to talk about is my license, insurance and the citation or warning.

Whether I am carrying or not is nobody's business but mine.

I can't imagine what would posess someone to tell a police officer, 'I have a gun'.

Then again, I can't imagine what would posess a police officer to respond to that admission (when given with the license and a picture ID) with this kind of stupid, inappropriate response.

I hope the guy sues and gets a fat settlement.

Any chance we could find out who he is and interview him for GC.org?

5. Wiley

Wiley New Member

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Don't ask, don't tell.
    If they don't ask if I am carrying, I don't tell them.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nobody yet has a link to a story?

I do not understand. For what was he arrested? Was he arrested for having a gun in the car? Did the policeman make comments about his firearms license? Can someone who saw the story please fill in more details for me?

8. Wiley

Wiley New Member

MP,

I checked on Fri., Sat., and this AM on the WSBTV site. No mention of the report anywhere I could see. Probably never be one.

Follow the link in my previous post for what I saw.

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I would love for that to happen to me. Too bad I'm not black.

For one, I would never tell PD that I had a GFL and a handgun on me or that I didn't have a GFL and had my piece in my glovebox. We're not required to, so I wouldn't.

If they had some crazy notion to think that I did, I would make sure that I knew what the probable cause was before they searched. I would never consent to a vehicle search either. If they asked, I guess that means they couldn't conduct a terry search or whatever other crap they use.

If the circumstances worked out the EXACT way that was said in the post below, I would dump thousands into it, knowing that I could easily get at least one cop fired and probably recoup at least a good portion of my money back in civil suits. I have time to wait... I doubt this guy did.

I also doubt this is the full story. The race card comes out all to quick in issues like this.... although I'm sure a white cop in GA would take personal offense to any black man that had a permit. The good ol boy mentality is alive and well.

I assume you all know who Monica Kaupfman is married to.

10. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

11. Malum Prohibitum

Nope! :D Not the same. There is no notification to the officer when running your plate or your driver's license that you have a Georgia Firearms License.

So, how do you like not being able to carry in the places that you could carry in Texas, like a bus?

12. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Welcome!

In Georgia the GFL information does not come back when the LEO runs your info. We are also not required to notify LEO's that we are carrying, although there has been some discussion as to whether it if prudent for you to do so. It seems we have a very mixed reaction as you'll see if you do a search for those messages.

Glad to have you.

13. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I've seen the CDL suspension issue arise. It seems that a violation that would prohibit a person from obtaining a CDL sometimes gets entered into their driving record in a manner that it "suspends" the CDL while leaving the non-commercial license valid. The manner in which it appears on the GCIC printout could lead someone to believe that a driver's license is suspended.

I've also seen it happen where a person that never had a valid license committed a violation that would lead to a suspended license was issued an OLN by the state for the sole purpose of suspending the license in case the person sought to get one.

15. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Welcome to the board!

I think you touched on some of the issues in the OC vs. CC debate. An entire thread is pretty much dedicated to that discussion, with pros and cons being listed on both sides. Obviously if CC works all the time, you should only carry that way. I'm personally looking forward to having my rights to carry restored to me (waiting on that GFL :) ), but I plan on OC'n myself according to the situation.

As to disturbing the peace, as long as you are carrying in a legal area (non-exclusionary) your simple presence scaring some of the sheeple is not sufficient to warrant a DTP charge. Again it is up to you if you want to deal with the necessarily enhanced alert posture, inherent questions, requests to leave private establishments, and occasional interactions with law enforcement that you will most probably encounter at some point. That is an opportunity to perform education on the subject of Georgia carry laws, and really, in my opinion, the only justifiable reason to OC (YMMV).

And looking forward to working with you to hopefully get our laws changed. A Texas style law would definitely be a step in the right direction.

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Now that is funny.

:rotfl:

17. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I have had this happen to *ME* before.

I used to be a crew member of a local Rocky Horror Troupe (ie - they perform Rocky Horror Picture Show in front of the movie - I operated the spotlight and hauled equipment in my hearse). We were loading my car (the hearse) with props after the show in front of the theater, like we did all the time...and a cop pulled up behind me and hassled us for "parking" in a loading zone...when we were loading... :roll:

Anyhue...he ran my license, and came back and told me my "CDL" was suspended. I have never had a CDL. Never even applied for one. Told him that, he shrugged, said it was likely a typo, handed back my normal driver's license, and left. Very odd encounter.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Must be that uber cool database of registered guns and non-compliant citizens. :roll:

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

:welcome:

Very few states prohibit open carry, only six according to http://www.opencarry.org/newsite.html. Texas is the anomoly, not GA.

In most state's it is legal to open carry without even having a license (but not here in GA).

I do not agree that we shouldn't excersize our rights out of fear that they will be legislated away. The only way to keep a right is to excersize it.

However, I'm not a big open carrier but I have tried it. I'd be more worried about drifting into one of GA's many off-limits areas than a disturbing the peace charge. I've never heard any stories of open carriers charged or threatened with disturbing the peace in GA. I don't even know if its possible.

Board lawyer want to chime in?

20. Malum Prohibitum

Right. :wink:

Georgia IS an anomoly, in that it is one of the very few states (12?) that requires a license to carry a pistol openly. The majority of states, 27 to be exact, do not have any criminal provision to apply to a person carrying a pistol openly without a license.

The majority of states permit openly carried pistols without a license!

Difference between a right and a privilege?