Ch.2, Probate Court, GFL/Police ID?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GAGunOwner, Jun 13, 2007.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I just saw on Ch. 2 Action News a story about a former Cobb County Cop (forced to resign after about a year) that was caught when he flashed an ID (to Kennesaw PD) issued by the probate office showing he was a police officer and able to carry a firearm.

Above is a paraphrase of what they said.

I assume that this is an error and that they are just talking about the GFL.

I've seen a police officer's GFL before and it makes no mention of the person being a police officer.

2. Foul

Foul New Member

Looks like he tried to weasel out of a traffic ticket for an expired tag.

Kudos the the Kennesaw officer that checked his story out.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If he is no longer a police officer, and they are correct on the probate court part, then they were talking about a GFL.

4. Foul

Foul New Member

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Why the question mark?

Ok, there is the chance the probate court put something on the license. It would not be the first time a probate court did something other than what the law says.

6. Foul

Foul New Member

LOL! :D
    You're right. I guess I was subconsciously giving the benefit of doubt to the guy, but I should be smacked about the head and shoulders for the feux pax slippage in my pessimistic pragmaticalness. :p

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My GFL says nothing about being an officer.

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Possibly because the judge doesn't like you......? :p

Sounds like a pretty good reason to me! I've never met you, and yet...

Ooops, sorry. Got carried away there! I had momentarily confused you with some of the other smart asses who post here. Please accept my most humble, sincere and abject apologies..... :lol:

9. Wiley

Wiley New Member

That's ok, the probate judges, at least in Cobb, seem to think they can deface official documents in any manner they choose. Go back to the court an request a new GFL with the proper defacement. :)

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Altering LIcenses

Just hope and pray that the probate judges here in Georgia don't get the notion in their heads that they can add restrictions on the license, such as "for lawful sport shooting only" or "to and from the gun club only" or "not valid after dark." The judges in New York State regularly impose such restrictions, even though the state laws do not give them such authority. They just assumed the authority, and later the higher courts ruled that yes, they have "inherent power" to issue licenses that are only conditional-- if you violate the conditions, the judge can invalidate the license.

But that can't happen here, you say? Our law specifically says that only the state legislature can set the limits on where and when and how to carry? Yeah, well, would this be the first time a public official blatantly ignored State law because she thought her way of doing things was better than the procedure mandated by the legislature? (60-day deadline, background check delays).

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Neither does or did mine. But, like Macktee, I think the probate judge just does not like you.

I already know the probate judge does not like me. :lol: or GCO

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The report clearly states he showed a police i.d. and claimed to be a police officer, which is a crime.

I have to ask about the Kennesaw officer who goes on about "Carrying the Shield and the Tools we do, it is a big . . ."

Tools? Like the gun?

I know it was not the point of what he was saying, but I wonder what he thinks about the fact that I, too, carry a gun while in Kennesaw . . .

:-k

Or is there some other "tool" that police officers carry that I cannot? :?

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Now that is hard to believe. :)

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The probate judge that issued it has never even met me, but I guess my reputation is spread far and wide. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: