Cellphone deflects bullet fired at Midtown club valet

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by ChipM, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

2. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

WOW! I'd rather be lucky than good...

Or, in biblical terms:

I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all.

--Ecclesiastes 9:11

3. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

That's awesome.. "You owe me a cell phone" LOL...

Wonder what phone it was and what he was shot with. Not guessing it was anything that began with a 4.. =)

4. yxhpxfw

yxhpxfw New Member

2 questions...

1) what type of cell phone does did have have?

2) what type of gun/ammunition did the bad guys use?

5. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

A 3rd question: did either of the suspects have a GWL or, for the Connecticut resident, CT's equivalent? Or was the GA resident firing from his car in order to stop a forcible felony to himself, his passenger, or his automobile?

Somehow I doubt it.

6. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

I just watched CNN.com's video report of this, and they show the pistols in evidence bags. One's most certainly a 9mm Sigma SVE. The other is some black polymer frame double-stack compact and I can't tell if it's striker or hammer fire.

The grip texture looks like it could be an HK, but I can't tell if it has a hammer or not. It could also be an XD, but there's something under the slide (locked back in the evidence bag) that looks like a hammer. (which would rule out the striker-fired XD)

Regardless, I'm thinking it was a 9mm round that didn't make it through a cell phone since Sigma's are only 9 or 40 (and this Sigma's magazine had peepholes up to round 15 and their .40 mags stop at 13...even though they hold 14.....I used to own one). And the odds that the other gun is .380 are slim cause really.....who would own a double-stack polymer pistol in .380?

They didn't show the phone. :(

ETA: Screenshot of mystery pistol:
    [​IMG]

7. mpc

mpc New Member

In a drive-by shooting? We've got an app for that.

8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Now I now what I can do with all my old cell phones. I'll get politenessman to sew me a vest with little pockets all over it for the phones......

9. AuburnRunner

AuburnRunner New Member

10. MyFred

MyFred Banned

During an interview on the news, I thought they said it was an "EVO"

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The pic looks like a Kel-Tec with the slide back.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Even if the CT guy had/has a valid CT license, GA and CT do not have reciprocity with one another so he wouldn't be covered in GA if thats all he had.

13. madamimadam

madamimadam New Member

If I worked in advertising at HTC, I would be riding this one HARD...

14. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

that guy was lucky. I bet hell have fun explaining that one to the phone company rep that are so smart on the phone. :D

15. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Yeah, the phone was definitely an HTC. Unreal that it stopped what appears to be a 9mm round. Luck was definitely on this guys side...

16. Dus

Dus New Member

I was a valet for 3 years in Atlanta, 2007-2010. I did not work for this company though. Apparently this valet was not a prime target for the criminals, but never-the-less I feel like valets should CC. Dealing with high amounts of cash, working late hours in bad parts of Atlanta... From experience, I know that valets are considered easy targets by robbers not just for the cash they carry but also the keys to the cars they are parking. Anyways, was just a little personal for me, since I had the some occupation and used to work on Ponce De Leon in Midtown.